ATX Community

NT Oh No!!

mcb39

Best we shut it down for the night.

A lack of shut-eye may not just leave you feeling groggy—it could seriously injure your brain. A new study of mice has found 25% of brain cells died off after prolonged sleep loss, meant to duplicate night shifts or long hours at the office—the first evidence of its kind and a scary find if it applies to humans. "We now have evidence that sleep loss can lead to irreversible injury," a researcher told the BBC, noting that when the mice lost a little sleep, they were protected by an energizing protein, but brain cells began to die off when sleep loss became a habit. "This suggests to us that we are going to have to look very carefully in humans."

If you don't get the recommended six to eight hours of sleep per night but substitute extra hours of snores later to catch up—like on weekends—that may not make up the difference either, researchers say, as the damage may already be done, CNN notes. While more research is needed—the group plans to study the brains of shift workers after death to look for nerve damage—there may also be a silver lining to look forward to: The team notes its research may eventually lead to medicines that help people deal with irregular sleep patterns caused by odd work hours

• Like 1

I guess I am doomed! That is how I survive Tax Season. That Car's song: "Dance all Night, Play all Day, Go to Work" I live for weekends when I can sleep in on Sunday to get caught up. It just is not as easy as when I was in my teens and twenties. Some nights I fall asleep when I get home from my day job. Thank goodness my husband is so supportive. Here I thought it was just "Blonde" Moments.. I am so doomed!

• Like 3

I guess I am doomed! That is how I survive Tax Season. That Car's song: "Dance all Night, Play all Day, Go to Work" I live for weekends when I can sleep in on Sunday to get caught up. It just is not as easy as when I was in my teens and twenties. Some nights I fall asleep when I get home from my day job. Thank goodness my husband is so supportive. Here I thought it was just "Blonde" Moments.. I am so doomed!

Love that song. Love that band. Back to the 80's.

Tom

Hollister, CA

I believe that the date they went to in the future is 10/21/15, hope we have the hover boards by then.

I told my attorney's secretary I'd like to have a DeLorean DMC-12 and go back 12 years and never meet my ex. She said, "Make it 13 cause I wanna go with you. And Jessica is packed, too."

• Like 2

I was a young adult of the 80's. Worked at Tower Records in NYC, at the time the worlds largest record store.. And I could dance all night and work all day.

Now I work all night, work all day. Take a nap in the evening.

WAS that you that helped locate the Vanilla Fudge album? I was the one wearing jeans, and work boots.

• Like 1

Yes. And when Back to the Future and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles were the movies. And we all had feathered bangs.

And now those Feathered Bangs help cover the wrinkles on the forehead! Me too being a young adult of the 80's (though HS Grad 78 - Loved "That 70's Show). Wish I could still do those 48 hour straight marathons of Tax completions with a 4 hour Nap in between those 48 hours. Brain says no now. My hairdresser (Sister) says she wants to get me out of the 80's...

• Like 1

It's either Botox or bangs. I too have bangs. But, I'm a lot older. My stepdaughter looked at my HS and college yearbooks and wanted to know, "Where are the women's sports teams pictures?" Well, there weren't any way back then. Cheerleading. Maybe synchronized swimming outside school.

Me neither, had to look them up. But I did play basketball, and my kids want to know: "Mom. OMG. Why were shorts so short and socks so long??? OMG."

I didn't know what the Ditto Jeans were either. I had the Jordache Jean thing... (Maybe that was the 70's Disco thing...). But have you seen the "Daisy Duke" shorts that are the fad now? They make those shorts we wore back then seem kind of long... (Though having you car breakdown while wearing them back then did help). :P

• Like 1

What feathered bangs? I had a semi-Mohawk.

Now I have bangs, my hair was thin until I got old (whazzup with that?), and bangs never worked.

Of course I remember you Michael. I was the one snickering with the goth girls at reception that you were looking for Vanilla Fudge...