ATX Community

What do Clients do to these Forms before bringing them to us???

jasdlm

I have a 1098 that I am positive someone took a bite out of. I have a 1099-SSA covered in orange (which the client was kind enough to label - 'this is squash', a W2 that has perhaps been run over a time or two, multiple documents with visible footprints, etc. Also, notes on the most random, odd-shaped scraps of paper ever.

What gives!?!

• Like 6

I have a 1098 that I am positive someone took a bite out of. I have a 1099-SSA covered in orange (which the client was kind enough to label - 'this is squash', a W2 that has perhaps been run over a time or two, multiple documents with visible footprints, etc. Also, notes on the most random, odd-shaped scraps of paper ever.

What gives!?!

I had that same 1099 covered with orange stuff, but no identifying note. And why do they open them and put everything back into the envelopes.? Year after year, they see me throwing the envelopes in the waste basket and they learn nothing.

• Like 4

Sometimes the papers look pristine, but SMELLLLLLLL disgusting. Perfumes, smoke, and I think meth production. Those meth (?) papers were so bad that I had to let them air out for two days and even after that much time, I still got eye, nose, and throat irritation. I probably should have called the cops. But then I would have been disclosing taxpayer information without a proper signed consent of disclosure. :unsure:

• Like 2

Then there are the folks that bring every tax document still sealed in the envelope it was sent in....

We had a client come in with their sealed envelopes, and then when we started to open one, they said we are committing a federal offense by opening their mail and they grabbed them all and had to open them while sitting in front of us. You just can't make this stuff up!

• Like 10

I had one where the client's cat had puked up a hairball on the documents. Several that smelled of Pot....I am located close to the University of Iowa (rated the #1 party school in the nation)

I had a construction client that said they had several more receipts but they had them on their truck's dashboard and they blew out the window.

I think I will deduct latex gloves and Febreeze as a "Necesssary" expense for handling some of these documents. Thankfully I have an office admin that opens the envelopes and assembles the paperwork for me.

• Like 2

One year, clients brought me their unpaid electric bill. My the time I got to their return, the electric company had sent the notice threatening to cut them off, each was blaming the other, blaming the mail, blaming the bank. Blaming everybody, you name it, and I had the bill the whole time.

• Like 2

How about those Farm Returns? Nothing like the smell of records that have been sitting in the Cow Barn for months. Don't forget those strange stains on the Calf and Cow sales slips either.. Blood, Poop. or what?

The cigarette smell is the worst and it just sets off my Asthma. I actually received envelopes that smelled so bad I had to air them out on the deck before I could open them. Then I forget that I put them there... At least the dog didn't eat them.

• Like 2

LOL at the farmer papers remarks. I have quite a few little farmers. they all smell the same.

But I cannot complain to much. See the little guy in my picture. He peed on someones w-2 once.

See the "Big" guy in my picture, I had to put him in our bedroom with our other GSD while I had 2 people arriving at the same time for pickup. He got a hold of one of my Farm Returns (of course it smelled like a cow barn) and shredded everything before I had a chance to copy the paperwork. I spent hours straightening and taping to get the documents back together. Thank goodness my client was very understanding about it, As long as he had copies of everything he was happy about it.