ATX Community

2-person (spouses) LLC

Janitor Bob

I was looking at the LLC filing.  Only the wife is listed as the agent and the Corporation details lists ONLY the wife as the incorporator.  However, both husband and wife signed the articles of incorporation.

Should I consider this a one-person LLC (disregarded entity)....and file a Sch C for wife or since both signed is this a partnership?

Having only one person listed as agent doesn't determine how you should file. The agent is the person designated to act as the representative and be the contact person for legal matters of the LLC.

Is there a section that pertains to ownership or issuance of the shares of stock included in the articles of incorporation? The fact that both signed is not indicative that the wife is not the sole owner. A corporation can have officers that are not owners.  Are there titles indicated with each of their signatures, or does it say something like "member" there?

The first place that the wife signed was to act as the agent, just as I said.

In what capacity the final 2 signatures were made is not clear. It says that form may be signed by a member, manager, or other representative. The only stipulation is that they have the authority to act on behalf of the LLC.  I think you need to ask your client what their titles are and their intent.  I'm leaning toward a 2-person LLC, but it really is not clear.

I think you should delete that document from your post because, unless that information is all a matter of public record, you shouldn't be disclosing that on a public forum.

• Like 1

JKLCPA,

You are basically correct and without going into UPL (unauthorized practice of law) I share the following information and possibilities:

Typically the "Articles of Org, etc." are public documents and are used by the state entities to "track/register" the operation.

Many states use what is called an 'operating agreement" that usually is NOT filed with the state and can be (usually is) a private document that is NOT-public.

This "operating agreement" typically states the desired plans/set up of the LLC (such as if it is a single member controlled, partnership controlled, etc.). Therefore the intent and desires of the couple is what counts here. Did the two people want to be a "dis-regarded entity (sole pro) or did the want to be a partnership (two or more) or as you know a corporation.

Your statement that the "intent" of the parties is RIGHT ON, as long as they did not either knowingly or Unknowingly make the wrong statements in the "operating agreement" (NOTE: some states call it something else other than an "operating statement" --- but --- the "operating statement" is different and totally separate from the "Articles of Org., etc.".

• Like 4

I have the same issue with a client now. They didn't ask questions until they had filed as a 2 member LLC with Legalzoom. The wife has nothing to do with the business at all, but now they will get to pay big bucks for a partnership return and 1040. Apparently, Legalzoom led them to believe that it should be a 2 member LLC. They wanted to have it as an S Corp, with no salary, but that's not happening if I'm preparing the returns. There is plenty of income.

Once they see what I charge for a 1065 and two K1s vs. a Sch C, they wish they were single-member disregarded entity!

That should never be the deciding factor.  Clearly they had a reason for deciding to form the LLC, probably related to liability protection.  Thus a bit higher filing cost should be a normal, and justified, business expense, just like insurance, utilities, etc.  

• Like 1

That's assuming the person or couple have filed an SS-4. They'll need the EIN to open a bank account in the LLCs name, but we've probably all seen creative owners in that regard too. I've even seen where attorneys have prepared articles of incorporation, by laws, corp minutes, issued shares, filed with the Sec of State, and might even be acting as the corp's agent for an additional fee, BUT they fail to file the SS-4.

Only AFTER taking a proper and reasonable salary on a W-2, with withholdings.  This also includes unemployment taxes and workers compensation.

Best to stay as a partnership.

Gotsta do the math on that one, Jack.  There will come a point in time where the tax savings from being an S-Corp will exceed the additional costs that you point out, and at that time the S-Corp becomes the better choice than Partnership.

• Like 2

Gotsta do the math on that one, Jack.  There will come a point in time where the tax savings from being an S-Corp will exceed the additional costs that you point out, and at that time the S-Corp becomes the better choice than Partnership.

It is my experience that, until a business shows a PROFIT of over $100K, there is no tax benefit that outweighs the extra expense to being an S-Corp. (legally, that is)

I have yet to see as start-up business grow that large in 2-3 years.

• Like 1

It is my experience that, until a business shows a PROFIT of over $100K, there is no tax benefit that outweighs the extra expense to being an S-Corp. (legally, that is)

I have yet to see as start-up business grow that large in 2-3 years.

The SE tax alone on a 100k profit can be 15k.  The extra expenses for the S-Corp won't even come close to that and the savings will be several thousands.  In my opinion, that threshold is a bit too high.

I agree, in general, with your statement about a start-up.  I would expect a business to be around for awhile and make it from start-up to mature at some point.  Long term, big picture thinking!  Our recommended approach (not always) is start as LLC and elect S-Corp when the numbers make sense.  This provides more flexibility for the business owner.

The SE tax alone on a 100k profit can be 15k.  The extra expenses for the S-Corp won't even come close to that and the savings will be several thousands.  In my opinion, that threshold is a bit too high.

I agree, in general, with your statement about a start-up.  I would expect a business to be around for awhile and make it from start-up to mature at some point.  Long term, big picture thinking!  Our recommended approach (not always) is start as LLC and elect S-Corp when the numbers make sense.  This provides more flexibility for the business owner.

At the incomes that you and Jack are talking about; my business will never be mature so I will stay an LLC for now and forever.  Realistically, if I were making $100,000 a year, it wouldn't bother me one bit to pay the taxes.   However, that is never going to happen.