ATX Community

ATX & Disappearing Assets

Lee B

Copied from the ATX Board:

Big Problem - Assets Gone!

After rolling over and/or entering new assets, I close the return to work on it later. When re-opening it, ALL assets have disappeared from the Asset Entry Worksheet! The computation and correct numbers still appear on the Schedules (E, C, 4562), but NO ASSETS linked to them.

I noticed it almost by chance and decided to check on other returns I have already e-filed. The same problem happened with all of them! Assets gone!

Is anybody having this problem? ATX, is there a solution

Response:

Re: Big Problem - Assets Gone!

I called support and they were not able to solve the problem. The assets are actually there, though, and retrievable in a roundabout, time-consuming, unacceptable way. I don't want to have to do it for every return with depreciation. Moreover, after the procedure to retrieve the assets, the e-file does not synchronize!

Anyhow, I was told that they are working on this glitch and will have a fix.  Eventually...

Let's hope it's before April 15

I just finished a return with a Sch C with 20+ assets and a Sch F with 20+ assets.  Form 4562 and fixed assets just vanished.  Unlike the poster on ATX, I don't have the depreciation amount on the Schedules still.  Hmmmmm.  This is perplexing.  I emailed Marilyn who helped with another issue a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously, I can rollover again, and re-enter everything, but it may happen again, so I'm going go to the next one in the stack and hope I hear something soon.

I just finished a return with a Sch C with 20+ assets and a Sch F with 20+ assets.  Form 4562 and fixed assets just vanished.  Unlike the poster on ATX, I don't have the depreciation amount on the Schedules still.  Hmmmmm.  This is perplexing.  I emailed Marilyn who helped with another issue a couple of weeks ago.

Obviously, I can rollover again, and re-enter everything, but it may happen again, so I'm going go to the next one in the stack and hope I hear something soon.

Besides crying, what did you do?

• Like 1

Besides crying, what did you do?

Nothing yet.  Marilyn said she would have somebody from tech support call me.

Stand alone (so alone), Windows 7 Pro, 25 degrees here, and I have been without power at home since Saturday.  Huge ice storm.  40 degrees in the house.  Bottle feeding a calf.  70 degrees in the office.  I'm dealing with this ok so if everybody would just back off already OMG.

/s

• Like 2

Nothing yet.  Marilyn said she would have somebody from tech support call me.

Stand alone (so alone), Windows 7 Pro, 25 degrees here, and I have been without power at home since Saturday.  Huge ice storm.  40 degrees in the house.  Bottle feeding a calf.  70 degrees in the office.  I'm dealing with this ok so if everybody would just back off already OMG.

/s

Actually, we all love you.  So far I have not had the asset problem.  The cold problem, yes; but we are used to and prepared for it.  Pile on the blankies and stay warm.  I really wanted to retire this morning  and it isn't even March yet.  At least, we can skip over the ACA returns for the time being and the clients can't blame us.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

This is a huge problem!!! Why is the fixed assets disappearing?  I had that problem last year with 4 clients of mine and yes, I have to redo the whole thing again.  ATX has no solution and no help for this issue. Now, the first client with fixed assets my staff entered yesterday is no gone this morning. All 42 line items. What is our solution, we have to consider another software.

In addition god help anyone that lost its hard drive and lost information. Even if I do a daily backup on a separate hard drive, according to ATX there is no way to restore or identify the clients on the second drive. So it does not help if we make an mirror image of our data drive to another drive.

I am so so frustrated with ATX with the damn issue of disappearing fixed assets!! WTF!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

In addition god help anyone that lost its hard drive and lost information. Even if I do a daily backup on a separate hard drive, according to ATX there is no way to restore or identify the clients on the second drive. So it does not help if we make an mirror image of our data drive to another drive.

I am so so frustrated with ATX with the damn issue of disappearing fixed assets!! WTF!!!!!!!!!! 

I export each client to a jump drive as I work on it and when it is finished.  I can access each and any return from that export.  They are all on there by the name I saved them to. 

• Like 2

Rather than re-enter all the 45 - 50 assets, I'll just rollover from 2013 and re-enter 2014 transactions.  That will be way quicker.  I'm just afraid they will disappear again.  So, I'm leaving that return over here in my floor filing system for a while.  No, it's not good...

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your timely input. Exporting to a jump drive is a good idea and a good safe guard. Easy, just charge the client for the export time it takes. Naa..

As far as rolling it over again, is a solution but we have to re-enter all the IS & BS information again.  It happened 3 times to one client of mine last year and had to keep the client opened on a work station. This is the first time I post a message and happy someone is reading our posts and giving ideas!!

This is a huge problem!!! Why is the fixed assets disappearing?  I had that problem last year with 4 clients of mine and yes, I have to redo the whole thing again.  ATX has no solution and no help for this issue. Now, the first client with fixed assets my staff entered yesterday is no gone this morning. All 42 line items. What is our solution, we have to consider another software.

You need to speak to a top level tech support person.  That statement is categorically wrong.

You need to speak to a top level tech support person.  That statement is categorically wrong.

Yes, it is wrong.  If I do a system or data backup on an external hard drive with EaseUS to go; I can access any file on the backup just as if it were on the hard drive.  By now most of you know that I use both the jump drive as I go and the system backup at least once a week.

• Like 1

We have been sleeping on my office floor, and I have grill marks on my @$$ from rolling over the floor vents, but I am very thankful for a warm place to stay.  I took the ice out of the freezer at home yesterday because I thought it might start melting.  It's still in cube form in the sink this morning.  I met the energy company on the way back to work with three light poles, you better believe I waved.  Here's a pic of the average of every road in our county:

post-21-0-75628400-1424882935_thumb.jpg

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 5

Followup Post on ATX Board:

Re: Big Problem - Assets Gone

ATX reached out to me, but, unfortunately, no solution to the problem.  And one is not expected any time soon!

It's likely due to the fact that the Assets and the rest of the return are kept in separate files and, for some reason, the link between them may get broken. Form 4562 may still show the correct depreciation, but the assets are no longer there and, if you do not check it (after you close and re-open the return and e-file) your client may not receive the refund he was expecting!

Moreover, even if that does not happen (because 4562 will, luckily, show the correct depreciation), by next year you may find that you need to re-input all assets and recompute the depreciation for all missing assets.  And if you have clients with a dozen or more rental properties, you might have a really bad day....

So, I'd suggest you check and re-check all returns with assets in them. Good luck

I have been using ATX for at least 15 years with fewer problems than most users.

But, I am really concerned about this. This goes right to the integrity of the program.

I hope I can get thru this tax season without any significant problems.

I have looked at Drake 2 or 3 times before, but after this season I am definitely

going to take a real serious look at Drake. Unless I run into some significant issues

I would say I am about 90 % certain I will be leaving ATX after this tax season.

Edited by cbslee

speaking to a high level tech at ATX Guru may be the answer. So far the two tech I spoke to said it cant be done. Thanks Guru. By the way I am a huge Packer Fan!!!!!!!  Dejected fan this year but next year we will do better..

Yell and protest at everything till they get frustrated enough to connect you.  The process is such a crock of male bovine scat to get to a high level tech.  The one "customer service" girl named "Precious" knows my name now and does NOT like me!!

It is the only method of contacting a top level tech.

• Like 1

We have been sleeping on my office floor, and I have grill marks on my @$$ from rolling over the floor vents, but I am very thankful for a warm place to stay.  I took the ice out of the freezer at home yesterday because I thought it might start melting.  It's still in cube form in the sink this morning.  I met the energy company on the way back to work with three light poles, you better believe I waved.  Here's a pic of the average of every road in our county:

attachicon.giftree.jpg

Rita -- I am so glad that YOU are safe.

And BTW -- the photo is beautiful.  Scary to think of living with/through, but taken as art it's just wonderful.  Once we get to May, you might think of having it printed and framed.

Edited by Catherine
  • Like 3