ATX Community

web cam actress new client

jshtax

I am not sure what your qualifiers have to do with this - she is a model/actress with income and expenses like any other model/actress with income and expenses. With a son in the entertainment business, I can tell you that there are a lot more expenses than income for those that are still struggling to make it. I think you use the same criteria for ordinary and necessary as you do any other business. Obviously, state of the art computer and web cam and high speed internet should fit the bill. Make up would also fit the bill. Training, either in the use of the technology or acting, I would think would be deductible if it is used to keep her skills polished. My point is - lose the qualifier and treat her like any other model/actress.

Now, all that said, personally I would have to invite her to have someone else do her tax work. But that is just me. And I would do that for all of the same reasons I fired a strip joint that I inherited in a practice I bought some years back.

• Like 3

Adding to Ron's post, consider deducting costumes, props, a portion of internet access, supplies.  Treat this like any other business, explain to her about expenses needing to be ordinary and necessary, and have her give you a list of expenses that she can document. I'd treat her like any other client, and if I couldn't then I wouldn't have the person as a client.

Don't come back here telling us you had to do some "internet research" to better acquaint yourself with what constitutes ordinary and necessary business expenses for this client.

This reminds me of when another preparer asked me to do a return for her because she was on vacation. The taxpayer was in the business of selling sex toys. Preparer said to me, "Do NOT look at her website or you will have to scrub your brain."

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 4

Contrary to Ron's post, the cam girls I know make bank. The red room sounds like a dedicated home office, she'll have merchant fees (all credit card biz; in more is easily traced), utilities, costumes, props as others have said. Also website, and possibly commissions paid if she is funneled business from another site.

• Like 3

Holy web cam, Batman.  Or, Cat Woman.

You are in the wrong business Rita.  That is a lot of tax returns right there.

Didn't Haley Berry wear skin tight leather and carry a whip in Batman?  Just saying - she made a lot of money for that too!

Seems like leather and "pain toys" are more profitable than anything I can do to earn a living.  Not my thing, but definitely a money maker.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 2