ATX Community

Tell Me Again Why I Put Myself Through This

Patrick Michael

Had ten dropped this morning and most wanted to know why they had to go on extension (or pay double the fee to expedite).

A new client came to pick up and was upset that my bill was $300 (1040, Sch A, 2 Sch C's, Sch E), when the last preparer only charged $125.  I asked why they didn't go back to their old preparer and they said because they got a letter from the IRS and had to pay back taxes, interest and penalties because she "messed' up.  And they could not understand why they owed this year when they always got money back before.  Well, maybe it was because she "messed" up in the other years and understated your income and the $300 bill is for doing your taxes right!

The15th can't come early enough this year.

Rant over... feel a little better.

• Like 10

Had one in the mailbox this morning with a note: "Rita, I know this is a little unorthodox, but I didn't have any other time to drop off..."

1) My mailbox has been out there for eleven years.

2) And USPS has been in business longer than that, even.

3) (My daughter said this): He can spell the world unorthodox and can't find a way to get this to you before today?

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 9

Client dropped off at 8:30 this morning and told my assistant he needed the return by 1:00 today.  i just flat out said "not going to happen", and my staff called and conveyed the same.  Message back was 'if she can get it done at all, I'll give her a hug'.  I'll get it done, and collect my hug, a fee, and hopefully some of his wife's cookies, but if I start down that 'need it at X time' road, it will get uglier every year.

• Like 5

I'm getting complaints and telephone calls and demands of callbacks demanding explanations from me from the clients I completed over the weekend.  They're not going on extension.  If they're uncomfortable filing so late, how do they think I feel with tax laws changing retroactively through 20 February and corrected brokerage statements arriving every day?!  Why am I spending my Monday explaining that yes your refund is smaller because you earned $9,000 more, instead of working on the stack I still hope to finish today?!  It's 2:30 p.m., and I haven't had a block of time to complete a single return today.  Three more emails just popped up, but one of them is an alert that I have signed paperwork on FileShare.  So, at least, I'll e-file some of these hanging.  But, I have untouched returns to prepare!!!  OK, I think I feel better now.  Hubby just came home from the store with more Easter candy on sale; going to see if he found dark chocolate.

• Like 6

Had a non-profit director call me: I just about have it all ready.

Me: Congratulations, and please don't bring it in until Thursday or Friday.

I don't know what it is about non-profit directors, but I don't care how cheerful you are, or how much you love being sweet and holding hands and talking, don't call an accountant on April 13th. About anything, actually. If you are not on fire with a stick in your eye, it can wait. Love, Rita

• Like 4

Had a non-profit director call me: I just about have it all ready.

Me: Congratulations, and please don't bring it in until Thursday or Friday.

I don't know what it is about non-profit directors, but I don't care how cheerful you are, or how much you love being sweet and holding hands and talking, don't call an accountant on April 13th. About anything, actually. If you are not on fire with a stick in your eye, it can wait. Love, Rita

Rita, I just LOVE you!!!!

[Parenthetically, if you ARE on fire with a stick in your eye, don't call us either.  Go to the hospital, after you doused yourself with a fire extinguisher.]

Edited by Catherine
  • Like 4

Had one in the mailbox this morning with a note: "Rita, I know this is a little unorthodox, but I didn't have any other time to drop off..."

1) My mailbox has been out there for eleven years.

2) And USPS has been in business longer than that, even.

3) (My daughter said this): He can spell the world unorthodox and can't find a way to get this to you before today?

I'll bet he knows how to spell the word "extension".

If not, I assume you're going to teach him.

• Like 4

Not much to the Sch C's and they were very organized. 

It really amazes me how probably the single thing that can most affect a taxpayer's future livelihood, ESPECIALLY WHEN SELF-EMPLOYED, his tax return, is thought of in such terms as being so insignificant that finding a cheap preparation fee is the best choice, is unbelievable.   Which brings up another strategy that some people use:  winning through intimidation...there's even a book written on the subject.

The more I charge, the more respect I receive.  There are some, however, that will not be happy unless they beat someone out of charging what their services are worth.  (That's where "winning through intimidation" comes into play.)

I agree with others that your client received a good deal....too good of a deal as he/she still bitched!  (Sorry, for my French, but I'm at the end of my rope!)  You don't need cheapskates for clients.  Let them go somewhere else and beat someone else up.  You don't have time for their games.

Note:  My top fee based clients send the most referrals along with glowing recommendations that I wonder who the hell in my firm of one are they talking about!

• Like 5

This tax season has been pretty grueling. I am tired and anxious to have some privacy and recharge. Honestly, I wonder why I do this work? I'm seriously thinking of selling my practice while we are at the top of our game. Anyone interested? It's great. We work 70+ hours a week. Who wouldn't love that?

• Like 5

I looked at Eric's link, and loved this one.  I bet at least half of us have had this conversation with a client.

April 11, 2015
I’m a photographer and my client was several hours late and I could not get a hold of her so I assumed she was a no-show and moved on to my next appointment. Awhile later, I finally got a text from the client.

Client: OMW

Me: I’m sorry but you were several hours late without warning and I had other clients booked today.

Client: Well you didn’t tell me I had to be on time.

• Like 7