ATX Community

client drop box

schirallicpa

a couple years ago someone on this forum shared info about a drop box that they had installed where their clients could leave their many piles of papers.  It was a decent size and not a mailbox.  I am wondering if that person - or anyone else who has one - could share info again as to where they obtained it and how they installed it.  I previously was in an office wherre there was a very large mail slot in the bottom of the door.  Now I have moved, and my mail box has limited slot space.  

Lowes and home depot sell the mail slots with a spring loaded hinged door on them.  Installation is fairly simple if you have a small power saw and are handy with tools.  Otherwise any decent handyman can do it.  This assumes the door isn't fancy, expensive, or otherwise un-modifiable. I think it took me an hour or so to install the one in the middle of my office door.

I have a really nice free-standing white mailbox that locks and has a slot to drop things off and a clip inside a closed door to leave things.  Even has a red flag that they can put up to alert me that they have dropped something off.  I got mine at Menards and my carpenter mounted it alongside the step leading into my home office.  My handicapped people can get close enough to it with the car if they have to.  Must be going on at least four years now and we love it.  The generous slot is also inside of the closed drop-down door.  Measures about 10" by 12".

• Like 1

In 2013 I installed a freestanding USPS heavy duty mail box next to my office door. It is locking with a recessed magnetic door, takes large envelopes up to ~ 2" thick. It's not visible from the road because of step's railing and a large shrub. I usually hear the people pull in for drop off, or the dogs do.  It is on it's own heavy galvanized matching post, set into quick setting concrete. The ones at the home improvement stores seemed pretty flimsy, and I didn't want to cut a hole in my wall or door, and after watching videos of prying open of cheaper ones, this is what I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EU21M0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

It was a great decision, saves me many meetings and interruptions with people dropping items like the signed e-file signature forms and monthly payroll data.  My only regret is that I didn't have this years ago!

• Like 3