ATX Community

NEW MEMBERS AND USERNAMES

jklcpa

Please consider NOT using commas or other punctuation in your username. If you have a comma in your name, for example something like "John Doe, CPA", no one will be able to send you private messages through this forum's system, and that includes our owner of the forum and the moderators.  If the username is set up like in my example, the forum's software would split the name into its two components as if it is trying to send the message to 2 separate individuals, one named "John Doe" and another named "CPA".

I've run into 2 problems this evening trying to PM a new member with the initials "MST" following a comma in the username. The first problem is that the new member did not receive the PM, and the second problem is that we already had a member with the 3-initial username of "MST" that actually did receive my PM in error. 

If you've already set up your name with a comma and can't find where to modify it, here is the post that explains the process of changing it.

Thanks,

Judy

• Like 1

I would just add that while your user name is your choice, please consider that we are a friendly COMMUNITY so while you have a perfect right to any name you like [we all love Janitor Bob, for example] if you use a name or nickname, it makes it easier for others to remember you.  Ditto for your avatar, whether it's your loved pet, a funny icon or picture.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Ha! Henceforth I am known as Abby Normal. And let me be the first to say "Damn your eyes!"

Your original username that included "CPA" wasn't an issue. It was specifically the comma within usernames of 2 new members that caused the system to split the name and generate a message that the username is invalid and will not allow PMs to be sent. It is entirely possibly that other punctuation or symbols may also be problematic, but I haven't encountered any of those yet.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Your original username that included "CPA" wasn't an issue. It was specifically the comma within usernames of 2 new members that caused the system to split the name and generate a message that the username is invalid and will not allow PMs to be sent. It is entirely possibly that other punctuation or symbols may also be problematic, but I haven't encountered any of those yet.

I know. I just wanted something more lighthearted and easier to refer to (Abby vs. jmdavis).

20 minutes ago, GeneInAlabama said:

Huh????

Car Talk ends its program every week with a long list of "production workers" whose names are puns.  Their statistician, Marge Innovera (margin of error). Their driver, Pikoff Andropov (pick up and drop off).  And a dozen or more others, each one worse than the one before.  They are hysterically funny and go by way to fast to write down.

• Like 3

A few years ago they had available on their website a very long list of all they had to that time.  I printed it off and will try to find it.   Indeed, they are so clever and funny.  I still listen every Saturday morning, 10am here, even though all are repeats now.  The website is still full of valuable car information and current, too.  Great stuff!

• 2 weeks later...