ATX Community

When the _____ hits the fan

ILLMAS

I've been having printer problems for about two months, the darn paper feeder roller picks up multiple pages at once and causes the printer to jam, today it no longer picks up paper from the tray or manual feed tray.  I could of bought a new printer two months ago, so now I have no printer until the new one comes in.

MAS

Mine is starting to give me problems too.  A few years ago I had some problems, which were solved by buying a new paper tray.  I'd really like to buy another printer just like the one I have (HP 2300L) but that series is no longer in production.  A new one can be had for $650 and remanufactured ones for about $200.

Clean the rollers with alcohol on a q-tip, and use the canned air to spray the dust out of it, often. Just a tip to help it along. Make sure you aren't letting any humidity get to your paper, too.

It works for me. My printer is 15 years old.  

• Like 4

I dumped my old printer/copier/fax that had sheet feed problems and hadn't picked up from the tray in years.  That one cost me $750 way back when.  When I saw new ones that were faster going for under $150 at Christmas, I got a new one.  Brother MFC 2700.  Paid $129 for it.  The toner cartridges don't have the same high capacity as my old HP ones did, but are a hell of a lot cheaper. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Possi said:

Clean the rollers with alcohol on a q-tip, and use the canned air to spray the dust out of it, often. Just a tip to help it along. Make sure you aren't letting any humidity get to your paper, too.

It works for me. My printer is 15 years old.  

Thanks for the tip!  I have only one tray and I think I know where the rollers are located.  They appear to be in the front to push the paper not in back where I expected them.  But I don't see rollers for the envelopes so wonder how they get through.  Some investigation is warranted and soon!  I am weary of pressing that button over and over....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

It just occurred to me that, while the paper initially doesn't go through, the printer works fine when I press the button.  If the rollers were so bad, how does the paper get through when I press the button?  Pondering the mysteries of myriad tax season obstacles....

I am trying to answer to Marco.

I have not read the whole thread carefully. In your case, I believe the printer thinks it has the wrong type of paper than that being requested. If you press the button you are accepting to print on the other paper that the computer thinks is has but it happens to be the type of paper that you need. (I think).

Thanks, Pacun, but I am using the same paper I've been using for the last couple of years.  And there is only one paper tray so not as if there were options for the little bugger.  I will clean the rollers and hope for the best.  Just, why now?  Late last year and earlier this year when printing engagement letters and lots of other stuff, no problems.  Just now that I have to print tax returns (those that aren't pdf copies) and invoices, etc. BAM, issues.

Thanks everyone for your help, another printer is on it's way.  Last night I found out the plastic gears (teeth )wore out and no longer turns the gear that picks up the paper from the trays.  Now that I think about it, this printer came defective since I bought it 3 years ago, it was loud, grinding, popping and snapping since day one.  FYI I have access to another printer :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Aha! Bad teeth might be my culprit, too.  I shall investigate this.  How did you find this out on yours, ILLMAS?

My printer is not that heavy so I flipped it upside down, pull out the paper tray and the gears that are attached to the printer are worn out. I am not in my office right now but there is some metal gears and the plastic ones that are engaged by the metal ones are slightly worn out, I am thinking the metal ones were misaligned which caused the problem.

• Like 1

You do know, don't you, that all printers have a built in sensor that detects if a tax preparer owns it and if so, it is programmed to fail sometime during late March or early April? Same thing with confounded-puters. During the past ten years I've had one or the other (or both) go out in early April five times! I just replaced my printer about two weeks ago (deep sigh).

• Like 11