ATX Community

I went over the edge...

Jack from Ohio

Here is an e-mail I just sent to every @cchsfs e-mail address I have:

PLAIN AND SIMPLE - - -

THE AUTOSAVE FUNCTION DOES NOT WORK FOR YEARS 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015.  WHY IS THIS NOT BEING DEALT WITH?

THIRD TIME THIS WEEK I HAVE LOST NEARLY AN HOURS WORTH OF WORK ON A FILE BECAUSE THE PROGRAM DECIDED TO CRASH ITSELF.  DUE TO THE NON-FUNCTIONING STATE OF THE AUTOSAVE, POOF!!  ALL MY WORK IS GONE AND I MUST START OVER.  I HAVE AUTO-SAVE SET AT EVERY 5 MINUTES.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG, BUT THAT SHOULD MEAN THAT THE PROGRAM CREATES A SAVED FILE EVERY 5 MINUTES?  DO YOU NEED SOME RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PROGRAMMERS OR CODE WRITERS? 

LET’S NOT EVEN START ABOUT THE SERVER RETRY PROBLEM.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.  ESPECIALLY IN LIGHT OF THE NICE FAT INCREASE IN PRICE FOR YOUR “COULD USE A LOT OF WORK IN THE FUNCTIONALITY PORTION” SOFTWARE FOR 2016.

I WILL BE A THORN IN AS MANY PEOPLE’S SIDE AS I CAN TILL I RECEIVE SOME SORT OF ACCEPTABLE ANSWER.  I AM ALSO SPREADING THIS MESSAGE TO SOCIAL MEDIA SITES THAT I FREQUENT.  4 YEARS IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE TIME FOR COMPETENT PROGRAMMERS AND DESIGNERS TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

Jack L. Raby

J.R.'s Tax Preparation

RANT OVER....

• Like 5

And so it continues....

Hello,
We do apologize for any issues you may be experiencing at the time. In regards to the Auto Save  ATX will automatically save all open returns at regular intervals based on your selection in preferences. Returns that have already been e-filed or returns that have been marked Complete will not be saved.  In order to further review the issue please contact customer support to speak with a representative and if necessary remote in for further troubleshooting.

If you need further assistance, please contact our customer support department at 1-800-638-8291.

Thank you for using our products!!

Radisha Daniel

Wolters Kluwer

ATX, CCH Small Firms Services

225 Chastain Meadows Court, NW Suite 200
Kennesaw, Georgia. 30144
phone- 800-638-8291
fax-888-815-7587

[email protected]

My response....

No disrespect intended, but you may want to read my original e-mail again.  ATX does NOT automatically save ANY open returns unless I click on the save icon or close the return.  I have been using ATX since 2002.  I am computer literate.  I KNOW what an autosave function is supposed to do.

After working in a return for nearly an hour, the program pops up “An error has occurred and the program must close” messages, closes the program, and ALL the work I have just been doing is lost.

I have contacted customer support about this issue multiple times since the train wreck of 2012 was issued.  I have yet to see ANY change in the functionality of the autosave function.  IT DOES NOT WORK.

I await contact from someone at  your company that can give me REAL and SUBSTANTIVE answers concerning this issue.

I grow weary of the smoke being blown at me.  I am NOT an average user.  I DO understand computers much better than the average person.  Stop trying to snow me. 

Your reply as well as my response will be broadcast on social media.  This kind of incompetent treatment of a known deficiency for 4 years is totally unacceptable.

Regards

Jack L. Raby

J.R.'s Tax Preparation

• Like 2

This just in... (ready for a really good laugh?)

Good morning Jack,

I apologize for the issue that you are having.  I understand that it is very frustrating.   We have not had a widespread issue with the auto-save feature not working recently in our latest versions of ATX, so we would like to work with you on your computer specifically.  Please call in at your convenience, and we will be very happy to have one of our technicians work with you to correct this issue.  Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience of this issue that you are experiencing.

If you need further assistance, please contact our customer support department at 1-800-638-8291. 

Thank you for using our products!!

Tabitha Ervin

Wolters Kluwer

ATX, CCH Small Firms Services

225 Chastain Meadows Court, NW Suite 200
Kennesaw, Georgia. 30144

What she does not know, is that her "tech support" people have tried multiple times over the 4 year period with no success.

I will contact them from the firm on Monday and shut down their "end around diversion play" and see what they have to say.

Film at 11:00...

• Like 2

I have autosave turned off. I prefer to have the option of closing the return and not saving changes, in cases where I screwed up or was just testing something. I usually don't use autosave in any program.

When I get the 'unexpected error', I am usually able to close the error message with the x, manually save the return then close the program.

• Like 1

I will call "tech support" tomorrow and see what silly games they have me play.  The autosave has never functioned since the rollout of 2012.  I have 10 workstations, 3 different ages of machines and NONE of them have functioning autosave. 

Even with autosave enabled, anytime I close a return after making changes, I have the option to exit without saving or save and exit.

When I get the unexpected error, it shows for 1.5 seconds and then closes the program down. 

I had trained myself to click the save icon regularly, but then a long stretch of no "unexpected errors" caused me to slack off.  As a result, I lost 50 minutes of work on a new return in 2014.  Hence my rampaging rant....

Rant over...

• Like 2

Dear ATX, 

Auto Save is not a random Jack issue - the lack of autosave on our system  has been reported repeatedly and has not and still does not work - even with all your attempts at trying to fix it.  

I have not renewed yet, I have not been contacted to ask why - maybe because I emailed my salesperson that with all the  ATX errors - ATX sucks (excuse my language  but that has been my season! ). 

July 1st is our date to find a new program as apparently Northern WI is incompatible with ATX. 

Sincerely, 

WITAXLADY

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WITAXLADY said:

Dear ATX, 

Auto Save is not a random Jack issue - the lack of autosave on our system  has been reported repeatedly and has not and still does not work - even with all your attempts at trying to fix it.  

I have not renewed yet, I have not been contacted to ask why - maybe because I emailed my salesperson that with all the  ATX errors - ATX sucks (excuse my language  but that has been my season! ). 

July 1st is our date to find a new program as apparently Northern WI is incompatible with ATX. 

Sincerely, 

WITAXLADY

De......I have no problems with the program, but I am stand alone on all three computers and not networked.  Also, I save every return several times to a jump drive as I am working on it.  Therefore, we can work on any return from any computer.  I know this sounds cumbersome, but it works for us. 

28 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

You mean you back it up to a jump drive? As far as I know, the Save feature when in a return, just saves your changes to your main data drive.

This is the "feature" that is inop since 2012 release.  Trust it if you wish.  It's not working has cost our office many hours of rework.

Start a new return.  Without clicking the save icon or closing it, work on it for an hour inputting information.  Then unplug your tower or use task manager to close the program.  Then see how much of your work remains.

"Tech support" has checked our systems at least 3 different times and say there is nothing wrong and it should work.  It does NOT.

You all have been warned/informed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

You mean you back it up to a jump drive? As far as I know, the Save feature when in a return, just saves your changes to your main data drive.

Yes, actually meant "export".  Every time I make a major change in a return, I export it to the file in the jump drive.  When return is finished, entire return is once again exported.  Then, if I wish or need to work on a different computer, return can be imported into the Return Manager.  I really don't worry about the Save feature, because I have saved (exported) a copy that I can carry around and/or keep in a safe place away from the computer program.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

I really don't worry about the Save feature

Your work is saved when you close the return, but I highly recommend pressing Ctrl+S frequently when working on a return. I'm usually using one of the many Ctrl codes (mostly B), so I've gotten into the habit of pressing S first when I hold down the Ctrl key (Ctrl+S, B, Ctrl+S, E or Ctrl+S, P, etc.)

Also, every time you close a return it creates a backup. I close periodically when working on big returns. (Ctrl+S, F4, O). Only takes a few seconds which I use to drink some water or walk down the hall to get rid of a glass of water I drank earlier.

I've never lost more than about 2 minutes of work doing it this way, and even that is extremely rare, like once per tax season. And I stay hydrated!

• Like 6

That's not to say that I don't USE the Save feature.  I have it set to every five minutes and I click on the Save button frequently.  The precautions that I take are to bail me out in the event of a computer failure.  I also do external backups of the entire system periodically.   The backup program that I use also allows me to access ATX files directly.  I feel fairly safe with the methods that I use for backup, export and security.  Just because I have never had a crash, doesn't mean that I won't. 

• Like 2