ATX Community

Client Appointments

ETax847

At one of the "Gear-Up" Seminars, the instructor was from California.  He said he was finally getting to the "perfect" practice.  He spent all tax season in Lake Tahoe at his condo, all returns were dropped off at his office in LA, and other employee's scanned in the info, and inputted the returns, then he reviewed them.  He wanted 1,000 like this, and he charged a very large fee.

To each his own. 

If you turn your tax practice into a commodity, then your clients will treat it that way as well.  I was just at one of the spin-off's from "Gear-Up", Bob Jennings seminar, and he said to raise your fees 30% and clear out the chaff.  That will get rid of the commodity returns, the ones that have revenue but are not helping you in the long run.  If I meet with someone for half an hour, and I get $250 for that return, and I meet with someone else, for half an hour, and get $500 for that return, why am I meeting with the one for $250? 

My idea for 2017 is this, as I am doing all my tax season planning, you pay more to meet with me.  If you want to drop off the return, the starting rate is $280.  If you want to meet with me, the rate starts at $375.   If you want to meet with the CPA exam qualified person on my staff, you can meet with them for $300.  Or some combination of fees that make sense for what I have traditionally charged them in the past, and what rate I want to charge them in the future.

In my new office?  I can not see who comes into the office.  They do not walk by my front door anymore.  It cuts down on the "drop-in's" considerably. 

Rich

• Like 3

I work in my flannel jammies and fuzzy slippers unless I have to see people.  Still stay in comfie shoes or slippers or just socks, flip flops in summer, even when I have to put clothes on.  But, I'm in the land of two-acre zoning with no commercial area, so people are seldom "just in the neighborhood."  They know I have a mail slot in my front door.  My office is the back corner of the house, so I just hide!  I have run after a couple of clients that I did want to see when they slipped their envelopes through my door -- and was in those aforementioned flannel jammies with a sweatshirt and slippers.  Don't do that often, but both times were long-time clients and females.

• Like 4

In the 22 years I have been preparing taxes I have always had them drop off.  I prepare it and then call them with questions to finalize the return.  When we are both satisfied I print out the client copies and schedule a pick up.  Any changes after this point come with an additional charge and I make it known.  Not many problems doing it this way and I can prepare them at my leisure.  I dont like the pressure of a face to face prepare plus I think it takes longer because they will keep asking questions, throwing off my train of thought and there is always additional info they need to provide so it would take me more time.  In some cases I dont want them seeing how long it takes me to do a return.

Now if I could only get them to take a .pdf copy of the return and avoid the printing.  Return and scanned documents on one CD or emailed encrypted to them.  I only have one client that uses the pdf.  All want hard copies, even if I offered a discount for the .PDF.

• Like 4

Consider going the other way --- no discount for PDF --- higher price for paper copy (realistic too - paper, toner, drum for printer, attachments (paper clips, etc.) along with time collating, checking all printed, etc.)  A nice USB 2mb drive that looks like a credit card can be had for about $2.00 in small quantities (less than 50) - which is probably well below the PRINTING cost without including the time spent.

Majority of mine are PDF (encrypted - check out www.PDFill.com  for a good/easy encrypt tool). After this year I should be all USB drives (as soon as I run out of in-house supply of CD-s and covers, etc.). Since I do 99% computer with a few drop-offs this works very well for me. Also the clients appreciate NOT having the paper to file and have expressed that they (clients) are going away from CD's too; so the USB (credit card style) drives work great.    By the way, yes you can get the USB drives as small as a thumb finger nail size - BUT - easy for client to lose -- whereas the credit card size is easier to keep.

Enjoy the tax season!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, easytax said:

Consider going the other way --- no discount for PDF --- higher price for paper copy (realistic too - paper, toner, drum for printer, attachments (paper clips, etc.) along with time collating, checking all printed, etc.)  A nice USB 2mb drive that looks like a credit card can be had for about $2.00 in small quantities (less than 50) - which is probably well below the PRINTING cost without including the time spent.

Majority of mine are PDF (encrypted - check out www.PDFill.com  for a good/easy encrypt tool). After this year I should be all USB drives (as soon as I run out of in-house supply of CD-s and covers, etc.). Since I do 99% computer with a few drop-offs this works very well for me. Also the clients appreciate NOT having the paper to file and have expressed that they (clients) are going away from CD's too; so the USB (credit card style) drives work great.    By the way, yes you can get the USB drives as small as a thumb finger nail size - BUT - easy for client to lose -- whereas the credit card size is easier to keep.

Enjoy the tax season!

Thanks for the suggestions! Ill look in to it.

16 hours ago, easytax said:

Enjoy the tax season!

Where do you find the USB Drives at that price? I have looked but all I find are $5 to $6 each

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lloyd Hudson said:

Where do you find the USB Drives at that price? I have looked but all I find are $5 to $6 each

I tried ebay today (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-10-20pcs-1G-1GB-Wholesale-Bulk-Credit-Card-USB-Flash-Drive-Blank-DIY-Memory/131909804747?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38530%26meid%3Dc8dbbcd84e00400c9c5c073a282a0a74%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D261728681842 ) to check if a better price than I had found before.

Found they went up a bit from my test buy some months ago (closer to $3 each in lots of 20). However you can still find some good drives for less than $2 each in small lots, just not the credit card type ones (regular type USB). Try an ebay.com search and there are a lot of players. The original ones I purchased were from a China source and I had to wait 2-3 weeks but planning ahead is my thing when possible.  I was very happy with price, quality, shipping (no charge, etc.) and wanted to check for things such as "embedded" malware (I am paranoid when it comes to things such as this for client use) and such. All checked good and I am happy (except for small price increase found today). I will look again once I get closer to moving clients fully to this type delivery.

Don't you have any clients who "don't do computers"?  Some elderly ones to be sure, but I even have a bunch of younger ones you would rather not (although they are whizzes on their cell phones).  And how do you handle the ones who call throughout the year because they need a copy of their return for the bank, attorney, whatever?  We give all our clients a hard copy, and it amazes me how many of them can't find it.  (Or are too lazy to look for it.  Easier to call the accountant.)  With a PDF copy or thumbdrive, they'll actually have to work for it.  I can hear the calls now, can't find it, can't print, can you please just send a copy.  When I worked for Block years ago, we charged $20 for a prior year copy.  We never printed it until they showed up in the office because it was amazing how many looked under the car seat and found it when we mentioned the fee.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

Don't you have any clients who "don't do computers"?  Some elderly ones to be sure, but I even have a bunch of younger ones you would rather not (although they are whizzes on their cell phones).  And how do you handle the ones who call throughout the year because they need a copy of their return for the bank, attorney, whatever?  We give all our clients a hard copy, and it amazes me how many of them can't find it.  (Or are too lazy to look for it.  Easier to call the accountant.)  With a PDF copy or thumbdrive, they'll actually have to work for it.  I can hear the calls now, can't find it, can't print, can you please just send a copy.  When I worked for Block years ago, we charged $20 for a prior year copy.  We never printed it until they showed up in the office because it was amazing how many looked under the car seat and found it when we mentioned the fee.

I charge $20 for an additional copy of any return.  You would be amazed how $20 will make some people actually look for the return.  Others pay willingly.  Since I store all returns in .pdf, it is less than 2 minutes to send one.

Also, I do NOT send any information to ANY third party, no matter what.  I send it to the client only.  Keeps me out of any "situation."

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Also, I do NOT send any information to ANY third party, no matter what.  I send it to the client only.  Keeps me out of any "situation."

Good policy. I follow the same practice.  No exceptions. I'll email a copy to the client - they can do whatever they wish with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SaraEA said:

Don't you have any clients who "don't do computers"?  Some elderly ones to be sure, but I even have a bunch of younger ones you would rather not (although they are whizzes on their cell phones).  And how do you handle the ones who call throughout the year because they need a copy of their return for the bank, attorney, whatever? 

I give all my clients a paper copy in a nice (but not extraordinarily nice) folder.  I'll have about eight or so that "can't find" that copy at some point after the fact, and I make another copy free gratis for one time offenders.  Clients who "lose" returns more than once get a fee increase next go round to make me feel better about having to be mom to people who do not share my DNA.  I don't point it out - I'm the mom; I don't have to explain.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, SaraEA said:

And how do you handle the ones who call throughout the year because they need a copy of their return for the bank, attorney, whatever?  We give all our clients a hard copy, and it amazes me how many of them can't find it.  (Or are too lazy to look for it.  Easier to call the accountant.) 

I give everyone a paper copy AND a CD with password-protected pdf's of everything.  Used to have a file named "opening instructions" with the algorithm for figuring out the password but after multiple calls I renamed it "Read me BEFORE calling Catherine" which people mainly do!  Cut the calls down from 30 per year to about 2 or 3.  

Additional paper copies?  Sure; mailed only to YOU, go to my web site and use the PayPal link to pay the $30 fee.  Once it's paid I'll start.  Amazing how many people want to try to look again after they "can't find" their return the first time.  (Which I take to mean that it wasn't sitting on their desk at home in plain sight.)  

Additional pdf copy?  Only by the file share portal.  That one is free but only when I get around to it which might not be until tomorrow.

• Like 3

I provide a nice labeled three-prong, two-pocket folder.  Client copy three hole punched and bound. supporting documents in back pocket. Mailing items (local returns 1040-V type items) in the front pocket.  Dont have many requests for an additional paper copy, although I had two for prior years just in the past month.  Nice guy so no charge.  He left a $10 tip.  Usually the first one is free.  Again my wife thinks Im too cheap in this area. LOL  Also unless they are specific I just give a copy of the 1040 and a Sch C if applicable not the whole return.  Usually its for a bank loan and they dont ask for more.

• Like 2