ATX Community

Social Security Number

Christian

A young man came in today with his infant son in arms born in 2016. On asking for the child's ssn I was told he did not have one. The father was told at hospital it was optional. His return will be efiled and I am wondering if it will go through. Somewhere I was under the impression they were now assigned shortly after birth.

I wanted y'all to know how this matter ended. I called the father today to advise he could obtain a taxpayer ID number instead of a SSN explaining that without one or the other he could not claim his newborn on their return. He and the wife came to me because all his other tax folks had failed to obtain a refund and they always had some tax owed. Expecting I had a sure fire win you may only imagine my astonishment when I was informed that he did not want his son to have ANY state issued number assigned to him. I pointed out that this would cause the loss of thousands of tax dollars over time but all to no avail. Now I am wondering if he is a member of one of those militias you hear about. :unsure: