ATX Community

Form 9325 Ackowledgment

Lion EA

So, I was a Blockhead and never used Form 9325. Who uses it? Why? I have been forwarding the IRS e-mail acknowledgment to my clients for which I have e-mail; it seems to have the same information. (I don't have it go directly to them as it seems to be overkill, so I like to add my own short message at the top and mention the states, too.) Do I really need to add paper to mail to what has been an electronic filing? Too many years following Block's rules to grasp this Form.

I use it for every return. While it is essentially a worthless form, with a completely internet based client base, it simple indicates the the client that I am on top of things and their return has been accepted. Removes a possbile question from their mind, cost me two minutes because I send it as an e-mail attachment and over 60% send me a thank you for keeping them appraised to the disposition of their return. Good PR as far as I am concerned.

Mike

Thanks, folks. After being with Block who sent nothing after e-filing, I guess my forwarding on the IRS acknowledgment that is basically the Form 9325 should keep clients aware that I checked on their status for them. However, that was only to those for whom I have e-mail addresses. Need to collect more e-mail addresses. And, I did get some thank-yous in response, too, so obviously it was appreciated. I have the kind of clients that expect a little more than just file and forget. Thank you for your thoughts.

After e-filing a clients tax return, I send then a snail mail letter (a modified version of the client letter) advising them as to the date and time that the IRS accepted their return and instructing them as to "send in their balance due" or when they might expect their refund, either direct deposited or snail mailed to them.

I finish off the letter with a thank you for allowing me to prepare their return and reminding them that I am available at any time for questions.

In this office...Form 8879 does not get filed until Form 9325 is attached. When there is a Form 8879 floating around during tax season, the scramble begins to find out all the information necessary to get the Form 8879 in its proper place.

Several years ago the 9325 was mailed to each client as confirmation.

Karen

I have been attaching the IRS e-mail to Form 8879 before filing. I take it my tax prep software would fill out and print Form 9325? Not sure if I could manage time before a direct deposit to get a personalized snail mail in their hands. But, I did love it when Block sent thank you notes and grumbled when they wouldn't let us contact clients that way anymore. Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts on this. You're giving me lots of things to think about. Want my clients to know that I have their backs.

So, I was a Blockhead and never used Form 9325. Who uses it? Why? I have been forwarding the IRS e-mail acknowledgment to my clients for which I have e-mail; it seems to have the same information. (I don't have it go directly to them as it seems to be overkill, so I like to add my own short message at the top and mention the states, too.) Do I really need to add paper to mail to what has been an electronic filing? Too many years following Block's rules to grasp this Form.

I just print out the Federal and state e-file acceptance histories from ATX and mail those out. Or print as pdf and email them.

Catherine

[What IRS email acknowledgement? I look at the ack in my software, and that's it. Have NEVER gotten an email from the IRS.

Add a form 9325 to a return after e-file is accepted and you will see that it is filled in with the e-file information.

It seems like so long ago that I'm foggy on the details, but I had a choice of the IRS e-mailing my clients or e-mailing ME on behalf of my clients when their returns are accepted. I chose ME and am glad I did, because the IRS e-mail seems a bit overwhelming with lots of info like what if you need to amend or have a bank product or.... So, I forward the IRS e-mail to my clients with my own brief note at the beginning telling them their return was accepted by the IRS on DATE as acknowledged in the email forwarded below and that the state(s) accepted on DATE(S) but do not send out a separate acknowledgment. I thank them for continuing to use me and remind them to contact me anytime blah blah. I've actually gotten a few thank yous from clients for following up.