ATX Community

ATX repeatedly crashing

jasdlm

It's not pinned, but you can find the related posts by searching for "large address aware".  Use the quotation marks in the search box to search for that exact phrase, otherwise the search will bring up every post with any of the three words.

Look for the posts specifically by Abby Normal, but some are a few years old now and I'm not sure if those are still all valid or if the linked site to obtain the LAA is the correct one any more.

• Like 2

Well I have this problem.  Go to print and ATX 2022 disappears.  Used chat Wednesday for the response to open taskmaster and close  ATX 2022 down, which works, so now I know to do that to get ATX 2022 to load back up.  (spent about 3 hours yesterday trying to fix this) - wasted time.  So now to really fix this, I should go to large address aware website and load a program that I know nothing about, and do some configuration, so it will fix my ATX 2022.  Sorry, I am old and confused.  I retired half my clients this year so I could breeze through my tax season.  That's not happening.

Robbie

• Like 2

I have dealt with ATX closing after sending to printer for the last couple of years.  Got a new computer and hoped that problem would go away.  Nope.  And - it's worse.  ATX will just shut down in the middle of something.  

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with LLA and "large address." I will look for the threads.  

It's very frustrating and giving me more and more reason to find a different way to make money.  Sick of this tax business.  

Mine does warn me - I click the icon on the right corner and save and keep working,, eventually I close it.. But then I cannot re-open it!!!

I have to go to Task Manager and end task - and it is already ended - It is the 2nd portion of running in the background and end it there!! Sort of scary!

D

• Sad 1

I have the same problem..  Sometimes it closes in the middle of something with NO warning.  Just 'blip' and it's gone.  When it warns me, I can close the warning and save and shut down, but when it 'blips', it won't start again until I reboot my computer, and you can't trust that changes are saved even with the auto backup on.  I have done the fix recommended in the other link (for which I am very grateful; thank you!).  It is better, but not 'fixed'.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 3:55 PM, Robbie said:

Ok: I haven't had to use LAA.  I figured out yesterday that my computer wasn't configured correctly, so a few changes to optimize my memory usage seems to have done the trick.  Ah, slow learner.....

Kill ATX in task manager to save having to reboot. But you should reboot every day to clear memory.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 3:55 PM, Robbie said:

Ok: I haven't had to use LAA.  I figured out yesterday that my computer wasn't configured correctly, so a few changes to optimize my memory usage seems to have done the trick.  Ah, slow learner.....

If you're running ATX, your computer needs to be lean and mean, with as few background processes running as possible.

• Like 3

Every time I close ATX OR it boots me, I have to restart my computer to open it again.  I'll try the task manager fix Abby suggested (if I'm not booted).  So frustrating.  I'm using a separate machine for email, docs, excel, etc.  Only using ATX 2021 and 2022 on my PC and still having these issues :(.  MY PC is also where I have to run QB, so this is a lot of fun when doing corporates as I think both programs are space hogs.  Boo.

QuickBooks sets a lot of things running that you don't need running like their online backup service (Data Protect), their QB Update service and QuickBooks itself (so it starts faster). I use either Services or Autoruns (from Microsoft) to disable these things.

It might be ok to disable the QB company file monitor and the web monitor, but once you start QB those will be started as well and keep on running.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am.  Heighth of tax season ans this BS!!  If I stay on the program longer than 1 hour or so, or if I have quickbooks (desktop) open or use acrobat, the atx will close down and I have to reboot my computer to be able to use ATX. WTF! Glad we pay so much for this f(*&(*& program.  & during the busiest time. I don't have time for some newbie techie who doesn't really know ATX to screw around for hours trying "fix" the program. 

Anyone found a patch or fix for this bs? 

• Like 1

its not about quickbooks. its about ATX!   Im using Quickbooks 2022 premier desktop and believe me.....I don't have online back up and any of that stupid shit. I back up the old fashioned way.  I'm still using Windows 10. I don't trust Windows 11 or want to deal with that headache until after tax season finished.  Why hasn't this happened outside of tax season.  This never happened with ATX 2021 tax software. Enough. Im going back to work.  Thanks for robbing me of the little sleep I get to have during this crazy time.  I will be re-thinking which tax software I will be using for 2023. You guys have gotten worse and worse since you sold out to Wolters Kluwer !! I have used ATX since 2004!!!!  & then you make seem like it is our fault!  Your techs are so new to the system and wet behind the ears they are little help and big time wasters.

• Like 1