ATX Community

Where is everyone going?

Daune/CA

With Lacerte, Pro Series, ATX, CCH all raising their prices so much this year and everyone unhappy, I was just wondering "Where is everyone going?"

According to the other forums, it appears there are a lot of unhappy tax pros around. Maybe it is time for someone to start a good reasonable low cost software (low cost, not cheap) for the smaller tax practice. Aimed at the small practice and not the "big guys".

I found ATX after Parsons was gobbled up by the big guys. Isn't it time for another ATX to come to life?

Well, I am just complaining and pretending that I am an unhappy camper but I am going to stay with ATX. I can read between the lines that most of us are going to stay with ATX, but as good consumers, we want to complain and make people believe that we are going somewhere else.

Just my opinion. (by the way.... protected by the constitution).

I too have been looking around at different tax packages. As my practice is not my sole support as I am retired, I have a client base that has been as high as 200 and low as 100 and right now settled in some where between. I was a past user of Parsons and searched for more reasonably priced software and thus ended up with ATX for years. If you want less costly software TaxAct has a 1040 program for $99 and offered it last month at $79 which is really a good deal unless you e-file a lot of returns, the fee for that is expensive and can run up your final cost. Another one I have looked at and have the demo of is TaxSlayer, I have seen a lot of good and not so good reviews of this. I used it last year to prepare an 1120 I had on extension and liked the finished product, but it does take awhile to learn the program, not really that difficult, just different from ATX and I am leaning towards them. Thier program, which includes the 1040, Business 1120, 1120S, 1065, 1041 and the 990, and free e-file and all states, sells for $995, thier rep offered it to me for $825 and I told him last year they offered it to me for $695 and I would consider it if they could offer a price similar to that. He told me to use the demo and he would call me back in a couple weeks and after I have elvaluated it, he would discuss price. I am going to explore other options and make up my mind around September or so, the early discounts were not as important to me as my total satisfaction and with a program I will stick with. I still could go back to ATX, just without the discount. Possibly if enough former ATX customers would settle on one product after searching them out, we might get a deal from one of them if we could promise a certain number of us would convert to thier program.

One product that's been mentioned before is OrrTax (aka IntelliTax) Forms oriented, form on right, list of forms on left, drill down to worksheets. If you buy directly from OrrTax ( http://www.orrtax.com/ ) it's priced roughly the same as MAX. However they also sell thru distributors and resellers who put their own logo on the product.[1] One of these is Tax Refund Xpress ( http://www.trxalliance.com/ ) who is selling the whole package including unlimited e-file for $299 + $39 s/h.

I signed up, and have been playing with the 2006 product. My initial impression is positive. They have a conversion from ATX, and it worked well - including the depreciation which came across correctly. There are some things that OrrTax does better - the EIN database, a zip-code database, the smooth handling of the various NY pension exclusions. Some things are poorer - tax exempt dividends which are also partially state exempt. Some thing are just dead wrong - AMT depreciation adjustment for assets used on a 2106. I haven't had the occasion to call customer support because OrrTax has a great on-line knowledge base that solved all my technical problems. As a matter of fact, the Tax Refund Xpress tech rep called me this week to see how I was doing. All in all it looks like a package I can live with at a price much less than ATX. I guess only time will tell[2].

Don

[1] Back in the olden days, ATX licensed their entity programs to the TaxCut for Business product line. Th box said TaxCut but the help files and error messages still said ATX.

[2] I actually used the DOS version of OrrTax about ten years ago in a store-front RAL environment. It was a solid product then, but limited to 1040 returns. The conversion to Windows and entity returns was a disaster. Fortunately they continued to also distribute the DOS version under the name 'OrrTax Classic'

I renewed, very reluctantly last month, with ATX. I have to admit, that I am not very happy about it. I was online with about 4 other ATX users last April and had just composed an email commenting about the new pay per efile return change, when ATX literally "pulled the plug" on it's ATX Community Website. When I called to ask why, they gave me a canned response.

I have over 300 clients, and thus had to change to their Max package, else pay their Efile fees after the first 'free' 100 clients. Cheeper for me to change to Max, but still an increase of over $600 over last year's Tax software :(

Howard

ProSeries has actually lowered the prices above a year go. They offer a 3 year price lock up.. includes unlimited federal and state efile

they were offering an ATX switch over fee for i believe $ 1,065 plus shipping which is a great price and i think about one third of what it used to cost

Before switching to ATX about three years ago, I used Proseries for 13 YEARS. The first to become unworkable then was their price tag of almost $3,000 per year for software; however when their Tech support was obviously handled by 'out of this country' support personnel...no way! It got to the point where if I had to call Proseries for support, I literally could no longer understand the 'English' accent that the techs were speaking...totally with a foreign accent. That was when I made the switch to ATX. I was paying way to much to not understand their support section. I do have to say that the Support Staff at ATX has been very competent and effective.

Howard

I renewed with ATX but had to upgrade to a more expensive version because of the e-file fees they charge.

The other programs I looked at utilized input screens that I was not comfortable with because I could not follow in every case the form where the information was posted. I like the ATX bunny system better.

But I would certainly consider another program in the future. It is always good to keep your options open. I just do not want to go through the learning curve when you switch to another program unless the features are better than ATX and the price of the software is reasonable. I previously used Pro Series and liked the program but not the price. I have been an ATX user for about 6 years.

One product that's been mentioned before is OrrTax (aka IntelliTax) Forms oriented, form on right, list of forms on left, drill down to worksheets. If you buy directly from OrrTax ( http://www.orrtax.com/ ) it's priced roughly the same as MAX. However they also sell thru distributors and resellers who put their own logo on the product.[1] One of these is Tax Refund Xpress ( http://www.trxalliance.com/ ) who is selling the whole package including unlimited e-file for $299 + $39 s/h.

I signed up, and have been playing with the 2006 product. My initial impression is positive. They have a conversion from ATX, and it worked well - including the depreciation which came across correctly. There are some things that OrrTax does better - the EIN database, a zip-code database, the smooth handling of the various NY pension exclusions. Some things are poorer - tax exempt dividends which are also partially state exempt. Some thing are just dead wrong - AMT depreciation adjustment for assets used on a 2106. I haven't had the occasion to call customer support because OrrTax has a great on-line knowledge base that solved all my technical problems. As a matter of fact, the Tax Refund Xpress tech rep called me this week to see how I was doing. All in all it looks like a package I can live with at a price much less than ATX. I guess only time will tell[2].

Don

[1] Back in the olden days, ATX licensed their entity programs to the TaxCut for Business product line. Th box said TaxCut but the help files and error messages still said ATX.

[2] I actually used the DOS version of OrrTax about ten years ago in a store-front RAL environment. It was a solid product then, but limited to 1040 returns. The conversion to Windows and entity returns was a disaster. Fortunately they continued to also distribute the DOS version under the name 'OrrTax Classic'

[/quote

<<< THANKS DonUpstateNY - This could be my future. After being with ATX for many years (#23064), I have achieved efficiencies within the program. I expect to renew for at least one more year - like Taxbilly and others - and I hope for more. The new reality has me on the cusp of 1040Office and Max which brings OrrTax into the picture. All you folks with at least 125 returns, efile, and business returns - I don't know why you would even consider anything except Max or more (if I grew just a little I would definitely stay, but I like my current age/work/income tradeoff). I really want to stay with ATX, but I find like many others, I might be fighting the last war (Parsons to Intuit buyout to finding ATX).

PS - DonUpstateNY. Keep posting to where I can find you. You are an unselfish tax pro who contributes your knowledge with grace and goodwill. "Only time will tell".

i have not needed support with proseries often. when i did call, it was normally very helpful the representative understandable and u.s. american sounding. i do not think i ever received an indian sounding representative.

i think the price was lower again for my 3 year lock up at 999.00 a year, plus shipping.

that is a fraction of what it would have have cost not long ago

I'm staying with ATX, for now. It's still the best deal for our practice. I've been using TTO for several years now, so the price change was very moderate, and the added features well justify those.

I will NEVER use an Intuit product. If it gets to the point that there is no other choice, I will retire and do something else with my time.

KC

I'm staying with ATX, for now. It's still the best deal for our practice. I've been using TTO for several years now, so the price change was very moderate, and the added features well justify those.

I will NEVER use an Intuit product. If it gets to the point that there is no other choice, I will retire and do something else with my time.

KC

I know exactly what you mean. I still use Quicken (also an Intuit product), and cringe everytime I have to access their support department.

Howard from California

I was going to up to Max from PPS, but the loss of the message board hinted at other cuts in support. With a growing business, if I'm going to leave ATX, it should be this year before I have more returns to convert or retype. So, I've sent for copies of everything I could think of. Only tried ProSeries so far. I like what I've seen. Salesman claims support is in VA and not outsourced. Also said efiling fee of $150 is waived if purchased by 31 August. Since I'll be on my own, want really good diagnostics. 1040 and entities and efiling and a message board, too. An assistant would cost me about $3,000, so won't complain about price under that as long as I get my really good diagnostics. And, I understand what some of you say about Intuit products, but I have several small businesses that bring me their QuickBooks file to prepare their taxes, so integration with QB might be nice. I'm listening to any and all software comments.

KC and I feel exactly the same about Intuit; although I DO like and use Quicken, but purchased the

"Quicken for Dummies" book which I use for support. I have also renewed Max for ONE more year. Also, like KC, I have other options in the outfield in case this game becomes too hard to play.......

Again, I'm not an Intuit fan (I used Parson's that was bought by Intuit years ago), but my QB support line is answered in Texas. As more of my clients go to QB or Quicken, I really have to evaluate the Intuit tax software to see if their integration might be of use to me. Someone mentioned Ultra Tax recently, so I think I'll install that disk next. Keep the comments coming. Knowing what are strong points and weak points with different packages in your experiences helps me to pick a few returns to give the packages a thorough workout in what really isn't a lot of time. Thank you all very much for sharing.

I plan on evaluating alternatives in August after my vacation. Each year there is something that po's me with ATX but I've stuck it out since conversion is such a pain. Last week I spent about 4-5 hours trying to reconcile a depreciation report to a a balance sheet only to find that the total "assets sold" figure didn't add correctly on the ATX report. Grrrr.....and during tax season the constant updates are annoying and time consuming...and even now I just efiled a return to find a form needed updating...in July?? What gives...

Anyone try 1040works.com ?

I do like having so many none income tax forms at my finger tips such as payroll and sales tax etc. But maybe I need 2 programs...

I may end up renewing but not happily...and I certainly will push for the 10% discount if and whenever I do renew...

I'm a part of this forum because I demo'd ATX. I have, and currently, use ProSeries but am thankful for all the things I learn here. I've stayed with PS for a number of reasons. Familiarity, and I like the way it functions being the most prevalent reasons. I have found that when I do have a major problem (and there have certainly been support issues), the louder I yell, the better deal I get the next year. Two years ago I hollered so loud that I not only got the entire program amount refunded, but they also refunded the PPR amounts and an additional amount.

When they made they offer to ATX last year when CCH acquired then, I was very, VERY, vocal about having a better deal for new customers as opposed to retaining long-time loyal clients. As a result, I was offered the same deal for 3 years. I've found that you have to be a squeaky wheel with whomever you want your relationship. I am happy with PS and have already renewed.

Thank you for all of the advice and wisdom that I've gleamed from this forum. That is certainly one area where PS is sorely lacking.

With Lacerte, Pro Series, ATX, CCH all raising their prices so much this year and everyone unhappy, I was just wondering "Where is everyone going?"

According to the other forums, it appears there are a lot of unhappy tax pros around. Maybe it is time for someone to start a good reasonable low cost software (low cost, not cheap) for the smaller tax practice. Aimed at the small practice and not the "big guys".

I found ATX after Parsons was gobbled up by the big guys. Isn't it time for another ATX to come to life?

Duane,

There is a program that many tax preparers are looking at and evaluating. Check out Tax Wise. Call 1-800-755-9473 extension 1148 ask for Jim. The price is very reasonable and their client base has encreased about 10 fold in the last 11 years. They currently have about 75 thousand users presently and he can send you a free CD Rom so you can see it in real time and as far as networking problems that Pro Series folks have had, their system doesn't "Bog Down" due to they way they save their information. Talk to him about that also.

Check out Tax Wise. Call 1-800-755-9473 extension 1148 ask for Jim. The price is very reasonable and their client base has encreased about 10 fold in the last 11 years. They currently have about 75 thousand users presently

That s not eactly true, you know. Tax Wise has 9,300 customer accounts. He is inflating the numbers by advertising USERS instead of PROGRAMS SOLD.

KC