ATX Community

Live Chat

Eric

Hmmm, interesting idea. Would the text be kept for reference as the comments now are? That is, sometimes it's useful to look up prior postings. It would be a shame to have a lively and informative 'chat' accessible only to those online at that time, I think.

Thanks, Eric, for always looking out for ways to improve this incredibly valuable service that you provide for us to share. You are just awesome!

If you folks think it would be useful, I would consider adding a live chat feature to the site that would allow people to talk (type) in real-time.

Your thoughts?

Is is difficult to set up?

Is it difficult to maintain?

Does it cost?

Does it use up valuable bandwidth?

I think it's a great idea for socializing, but not for tax purpose. Usually chat rooms work for people that are online all day long, and I think most of us have work to do during the day and peek in here every so often. I participate in a motorcycle forum, they setup a chat room, but discontiued it because of lack of use :)

Hmmm, interesting idea. Would the text be kept for reference as the comments now are?

Nope, the text isn't kept, it just evaporates. That's a good question though, I hadn't thought of that.

Is is difficult to set up?

Is it difficult to maintain?

Does it cost?

Does it use up valuable bandwidth?

All good questions. Not too difficult to set up and maintain. Cost depends on how many people you wish to allow in the chat room simultaneously. It's only $20/year to allow up to 20 people chatting at the same time. This yearly cost is due to the fact that that another company takes care of all of the bandwidth and back-end processing. There is also a free package that allows 5 people to chat at the same time, but 5 people in a chat room doesn't sound like a lot.

I think it's a great idea for socializing, but not for tax purpose. Usually chat rooms work for people that are online all day long, and I think most of us have work to do during the day and peek in here every so often. I participate in a motorcycle forum, they setup a chat room, but discontiued it because of lack of use :)

The way forum works allows a question to see more eyeballs beyond the random few who happen to be online at the time it's asked. So yeah, I agree that for serious discussion, the forum makes more sense.

I did some work for a company called TaxLogic back in the late 90's. Part of it involved answering questions on a chat room at a specified time each week. I believe the chat room was active once a week from7-8 or 9 once a week. I think the room would hold 25 and we would answer any tax question that anybody wanted to pose to us. There were usually 3-5 people answering questions and the others rotated in and out. The room usually had no less that 15 or so at any one time. For the public it was a good tool. We did get a professional every now and then. I think it is a good idea, but probably only at specified times.

I like the idea of instant back and forth, bouncing ideas around, getting a quick cite to pursue, etc. I'm thinking we could turn on some type of "log" feature to print out our chat? Certain times of day would work, too. I remember when the kids were looking at colleges, some colleges provided a couple of hours in the evening when prospective students could chat with current students to learn more than the admission office said. But, I'm not thinking and you're not thinking of pros answering questions from the public. We're just trying to make it possible for a critical mass of us board members to know when to chat vs. when to post. I really like the idea. But, would also like the logs archived someplace for all of us to search. Or, at least, available to print out by the participants. We often need quick help after tech support is closed for the night, so maybe late hours.

Seems to me that every time someone mentions a technological feature that I don't presently use, sooner or later there comes a time when it comes in handy. IN some cases it's just nice to have, and other times I find it morphing into something essential. So I'd say having a "Chat" feature would be well worth exploring. If we find it useful, we can refine how & when it's used. If nobody finds it helpful, then Eric will know from the non-use that it isn't a practical tool here. Either way, there's no downside to trying it.

(By the way, I'm going to hit the "Donations" button as soon as I finish this post.

Hope we all are keeping in mind that this is a self-supported forum).

But, would also like the logs archived someplace for all of us to search. Or, at least, available to print out by the participants.

That the back-end of the chat system is handled by a third party (the people who sell the software). The up-side to this is that their servers are optimized to handle this type of traffic. The down side is that I have little control the software, and there is little room for modification. Technically, the chats are logged, but they're not accessible to the public, only the forum administrator for moderation purposes.

Either way, there's no downside to trying it.

Within the next few weeks, I think I'll get the free version going that allows 5 people chatting at once. If it looks like people are using it, I'll upgrade to the 20 user plan.

Eric,

I don't normally go to chat rooms, so if this is a stupid question, let me know.

Would we be able to invite someone to chat? So, lets say I have a really nasty tax return with a couple of issues and I want to get some ideas on it. Could I invite KC, Jainen, Old Jack, Catherine and Rita to join me at a specific time to chat about it, while keeping others out of the conversation? Or would it be open to anyone who happens across the session while we are discussing it?

I would think that would be really cool to have a private room to go chat in.

Thanks for all you do Eric. You are the best in my book.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I have found "live chat" handy when I have a specific issue, usually with a specific company or person - like tech support with HP or McAfee. The value of live chat for tax issues is ENTIRELY dependent on WHO is online when you open the chat/post the issue. From that perspective, I think the current method is more efficient, i.e., a question can be posted and a review of responses 6 hours later or the next day, gives a "balanced" response AND that thread can be printed and filed with the client or subject involved.

Live chat would be a very handy way to get an immediate answer AND to print the conversation for purpose of record a handy way to document.

Constant monitoring of posts is too time consuming. I have email set to check every 5 minutes during the day, but I don't constantly monitor incoming mail. I check it probably once an hour, but notice the 'blips' on the screen when an email comes in. During tax season the reaction could be both ways, i.e.:

1. Constant monitoring would provide immediate access but,

2. Constant monotoring would be too much of a distraction.

Bottom line for me, it would be interesting to try.....

Eric,

I don't normally go to chat rooms, so if this is a stupid question, let me know.

Would we be able to invite someone to chat? So, lets say I have a really nasty tax return with a couple of issues and I want to get some ideas on it. Could I invite KC, Jainen, Old Jack, Catherine and Rita to join me at a specific time to chat about it, while keeping others out of the conversation? Or would it be open to anyone who happens across the session while we are discussing it?

I would think that would be really cool to have a private room to go chat in.

Thanks for all you do Eric. You are the best in my book.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Right now, you can invite up to 5 people to take part in a Private Message conversation on the forums, but it's not instant like chat.

As for the Chat software, it's not very advanced. There is no invitation feature that I am aware of, but you can private chat with other people who are in the room. These private chats are one-on-one only, but you can carry on multiple one-on-one private chats simultaneously with different people.

Also, there are some sound effects that let you know when people enter the room, leave the room, and type messages, so even if you're not watching the chat, there are audible cues to let you know something is happening. These sounds can easily be turned off.

>>Could I invite KC, Jainen, Old Jack, Catherine and Rita to join me at a specific time to chat about it, while keeping others out of the conversation?<<

As several who have used the Messenger discovered, I almost never agree to private discussions. And I think it very unlikely that I would risk chat. My addict personality would be lost forever!

I haven't used chat features very much, but it doesn't hurt to try it out.

I am -really- flattered that folks (BullDog Tom) would think of me as someone to include in a request-chat/meeting, especially considering KC was first on that list!

Thanks for thinking of this, Eric, and we'll see how it goes. I clicked on that "Donate" button not very long ago, but I hope you will LET US KNOW if the funds are looking a little thin. Can we ever donate to you and set the money for the specific purpose of sending you out for a nice dinner or something?

Catherine

I agree on the special donation for Eric. For long timers, the precedent was set with the barbecue dinner sent to the great folks up in Maine. I don't recall who was the kind soul to organize it, collect the money and make all the arrangements, but it was such a treat when they posted the picture of the entire staff enjoying the thank you from so many of us grateful recipients of their excellent tech support and customer service - just like that which Eric provides! So Eric, white or red? Beef or fish? Casual or formal? Start thinking about - I suspect a wave of support will come rolling in soon!

I agree on the special donation for Eric. For long timers, the precedent was set with the barbecue dinner sent to the great folks up in Maine. I don't recall who was the kind soul to organize it, collect the money and make all the arrangements, but it was such a treat when they posted the picture of the entire staff enjoying the thank you from so many of us grateful recipients of their excellent tech support and customer service - just like that which Eric provides! So Eric, white or red? Beef or fish? Casual or formal? Start thinking about - I suspect a wave of support will come rolling in soon!

I like the idea for Eric!

Management at CCH is far from earning any gratitude like that from me!! Some of the tech support people have, but is seems to be a minority. The old ATX crew was a huge asset, and I sure do miss their dedication and abilities!!

I tried looking up local restaurants, but didn't come up with many suggestions on my first try. For example, there's The Governor's Restaurant in Presque Isle, Grammy's Country Inn in Houlton, the Village Restaurant in Fort Fairfield, for example, but each only has one recommendation. The best local choice might easliy be missing on DineSite.

http://dinesite.com/city/city-4178/

Eric, I think you need to let us know where you enjoy eating - especially where you'd choose to go for a special occasion such as an anniversary, birthday, entertaining out of town family or clients, etc. WHere would you take us if all the members of this group showed up one weekend and said "Let's go to dinner!" ?

I was a member of the "TST" at ATX during that BBQ, which I believe was organized by KC.. it was delicious!

You guys are great, but please, don't spend too much.

Gram Russo's (great Italian food)

http://www.visitaroostook.com/organization/6619/presque_isle_inn_convention_center/

Irish Setter Pub (great beer)

http://www.visitaroostook.com/organization/6803/irish_setter_pub/

(take your pick)