ATX Community

I hate Quickbooks

joanmcq

Its midnight on what is now October 14th and I'm looking at 4 years of bank statements for a non-filer (at least I've drafted my roommate to put them all into Excel) and two and a half years worth of QB, where all of the expenses are entered as negative deposits, making the balance sheets less than worthless. No inventory kept. I think I can flip around the expense numbers and plug 'em into a Sch C.

Sigh. I hate Quickbooks. I thought I'd seen every mistake someone could make, but this one takes the cake.

Not to defend QB but isn't it the fault of the client who doesn't know how to use the program?

Sounds like you are going to make some serious cash here to straighten this out so you should be very happy rather than sounding frustrated. Surely you are not trying to get this done by tomorrow for a client (a non-filer) who evidently doesn't care about deadlines anyway.

taxbilly

PS (OMG I'm starting to think like jainen!)

Sometimes, when the client has completely messed up Quickbooks, it's much easier to use the QB entries to produce a transaction report, convert the entries to Excel, and then manipulate the Excel data outside QB. It can be very tedious to reclassify QB entries one at a time, and it doesn't offer a means to make global changes, aside from simply moving an entire account to another.

Its midnight on what is now October 14th and I'm looking at 4 years of bank statements for a non-filer (at least I've drafted my roommate to put them all into Excel) and two and a half years worth of QB, where all of the expenses are entered as negative deposits, making the balance sheets less than worthless. No inventory kept. I think I can flip around the expense numbers and plug 'em into a Sch C.

Sigh. I hate Quickbooks. I thought I'd seen every mistake someone could make, but this one takes the cake.

You can't hate Quickbooks more than I do. Is total overkill for most of my clients. On the other hand, not wanting to give any kudos to Intuit; I am very fond of Quicken which has several new versions to choose from.

No no no, you don't hate Quickbooks you hate your client for not knowing how to use it. If QB is PROPERLY setup and your client knows what he is doing, you wouldn't have these problems. But I think just made you more money, because now you are going to charge your client for fixing his/her mess + the tax return preparation fees. Nothing is free in this world, hey I charge extra if I have add clients receipts.

MAS

I have one still re-doing and faxing/emailing me her spreadsheets re her gains/losses. Still not managing to follow my directions, so I typed in all her trades. Gotta get her out the door this afternoon as my last one (I hope!) arrived this morning with self-employment and it's own twists. And, I gave up on my back spasms around 4 a.m. and took the muscle relaxants and went to bed; now I'm still in a medicated fog at noon! Good luck, Joan and all of us. :scratch_head:

I think I might be able to do AJEs to transfer all the entries from credits to debits. I'll try at least.

I gotta say, at least the screwed up QB is better than trying to supervise my roommate in the excel entry project, not to mention the reconstruction of records issue. I hate QB in that it has people THINKING they can do accounting. At least i've spot checked the expense entries and they seem accurate, even if they were all entered as credits instead of debits.

Don't people wonder when they are getting P&Ls that show net income as way more than gross reciepts than something might, just might, be a little out of whack? :scratch_head:

I still have to hold outs. I told them over a week ago that the 14th is the last day I can process returns, as I will be out of the office on the 15th. One called yesterday and asked if they had until Friday, I said NO you have until Thursday. They said they would get the figures together for me right away. Still waiting! The other one said they would be by yesterday around 5:30. Still waiting!

Oh well, at least I did finish the ones that I had been putting off! I can really care less if these other two make it out on time or not!

Deb!

P.S. I already have clients telling me that tax season is just around the corner! I laugh and tell them it's still tax season for me right now! :spaz:

I'm afraid to ask if the bank reconciled at year-end?

My pet peeve is when the client can't reconcile and they allow QuickBooks to adjust. One non-profit client this year (I only do once a year) had three different adjustments to the bank, with a number of deposit errors, check errors, voided checks, etc. Aaargh!!!

Dennis

H-m-m-m.

Are you implying it's a problem when the "Reconciliation Adjustments" account shows $98,343.21, with a 4/13/2029 date?

I need to go back and check something...

THANK YOU!!! I needed that laugh....

I have one client from whom I just need confirmation of bank info for direct deposit. Two more that promised info but I don't think I'll get it today. Roughly eleven more where I have NO info yet. So it's starting to look like I have only one to finish by tomorrow.

I think I have finally finished all of them that are going to get finished in time. I told everyone that they had to bring their information in by Friday, October 8, for me to finish by October 15. I just had someone drop off 2008 information and last half (?) of 2009 - I told them not by tomorrow. Another one is dropping off their information by 5 today and wants me to get it ready in time tomorrow - HA!

Some people just can't deal with deadlines... And I refuse to let it become my problem after a point.

I think I have finally finished all of them that are going to get finished in time. I told everyone that they had to bring their information in by Friday, October 8, for me to finish by October 15. I just had someone drop off 2008 information and last half (?) of 2009 - I told them not by tomorrow. Another one is dropping off their information by 5 today and wants me to get it ready in time tomorrow - HA!

Some people just can't deal with deadlines... And I refuse to let it become my problem after a point.

Tax year 2010, "Any returns that are recieved after Oct 8, 2011 will have a minimum $50 'Last Minute" surcharge added. This is NOT negotiable."

9 months is plenty of time for folks to get there information together. This year has been the worst ever!!

"Lack of planning on your part, does NOT create and emergency situation on mine."

I tell my clients that bring their stuff in late that I may or may not get them done before the 15th, that I do them in the order received. I do what I can and don't worry about the ones that I can't. I also tell them that if they don't owe any money, they don't have to worry about a penalty for it being late. I lost one client about 3 years ago due to this policy, but those aren't good clients anyway.

I have one client who died. I got a message from her daughter to this fact, but she never called back. Another, all I need is charitable contributions. My 6 year non-filer did bring me the stuff a month ago, but I was backed up with another 6 year non-filer that contacted me in April and I've been struggling with the Forms 5471 all summer.

And then there is the C-corp that doesn't book the draws and hasn't filed W-2s....but I don't even have their file yet, and won't do it until I review their QB and clean it up completely. And have the come-to-jesus talk about taking salary.