ATX Community

Mouse Issues

RitaB

New monitor has that new-fangled MultiScreen option, which I have to exit in order to open old ATX programs. Only wasted an hour of time on stressing over it, e-mailing ATX (who totally misunderstood the issue, SURE your name is "Peggy"). Found the temporary solution here, thanks to you all.

SO NOW, mouse won't function while printer is busy. A bit infuriating at the present time. Batteries are new. No cat hair or crumbs. Mouse works fine if it's the only thing working. A big nothing if the printer is busy.

Do you know how much I need to use this mouse when the printer is busy? Yes, I think you do.

Any ideas? Besides "patience is a virtue"?

No cat hair or crumbs.

Right there's your problem. My mouse works so hard I would not dare to not feed it during this time of year. It even got a bum rear leg a few days ago and I had to get the glue and scotch tape out and do some minor surgery. We're good now though - I hope for the duration.

Probably a software conflict between the new monitor's software, the mouse software, and the printer software. I'd try the help desk for the monitor maker, first, as they probably already know of the issue and have a fix that you can download. In fact, you may find it on the companies website without even needing to talk to the help desk. Always, with new hardware and a sudden new problem, start by going to the site of the company and looking to see if they have a new driver update available. They make these products, put them out with their software, and then discover, in the thousands of hardware and software combinations people have, some conflicts where two or more try to use the same bytes at the same time, etc, and they get called about it, discover the cause, and write a 'fix' for it. But if you buy that product that has been in a warehouse or on a shelf for a month or two, you do not have the 'latest' version, with the fixes since that was packaged. So often, instructions advise buyers to check for updates, but often we don't. We are in a hurry to use the new thing. We only read that stuff if something does not work, right? Right!

So start there, and good luck. At worst, you spend $30 on a new mouse.

Don't underestimate the value of a mouse with a ball. It's much more basic and thus a valuable troubleshooting tool. When I have mouse or keyboard problems, I always revert to an old standby - a hard-wired mouse and keyboard that I keep on hand. This allows me to test the system under otherwise identical conditions. If they work, then I'm pretty sure my problem is somewhere in the communications link between the mouse/keyboard and its transmitter/receiver. Back when I was a radar tech in the Air Force, we always sought ways to swap out modular components to isolate problems - it was faster, chaper, and more reliable than oscilliscopes, tech manuals, and wiring diagrams. (And we never had a tech support line we could call).

I think you can probably have wireless mouse or keyboard software that doesn't play well with other system components & software. I'm guessing that once Rita verifies the hardware's integrity, she might find out the software for the printer and the mouse are in some sort of electronic tug-of-war. One thing I'd try is to start moving the mouse around just before starting the print function and then initiate the print command from the keyboard while still keeping the mouse in motion. That might give you another clue concerning exactly when the problem starts. Of course, it might also crash the system...

The tech gurus on this forum can probably explain all this much better than I'm doing.

I had the same problem with my computer a while ago. It became unresponsive when I tried to print so I solved the problem from the root. I bought a more powerfull computer and now my computer flies because it has more memory and faster and more resources than my old computer.

Give it a frikkin banana!! <_<

Spent about an hour trying to update from Samsung. Couldn't even find an update. Tried to download driver. It's already there.

Anyhow, I reached back there and changed USB ports for the mouse, and it SEEMS to have solved my problem. Well, one of my problems...

I must be an antique. My mouse has a ball and a wire, my keyboard has a wire, my printer has a wire. I sure am wired all over. I do have a wireless internet for all the other computers in my house, but mine is wired. Boy am I behind the times, but I am very happy.

Well, well, well. Looky there. Guess who forgot to order toner? :wall:

OMG Rita, it has been one of those years. Rule of thumb, take one out of the box, immediately order a new one. I am nearly totally trashed., so am not surprised to see that others are doing odd stuff too.

My guess is that your thumb was probably too busy at the time being stuck in a dike to hold back the latest flood.

I just replaced a cartridge and am puzzled as to why the print is fainter than the one I took out. We're talkin' name brand HP 49X, the $140+ kind. I've shaken, rolled, whatever. I did order another already just in case this puppy doesn't last as long as it should. First time this has happened.

I must be an antique. My mouse has a ball and a wire, my keyboard has a wire, my printer has a wire. I sure am wired all over. I do have a wireless internet for all the other computers in my house, but mine is wired. Boy am I behind the times, but I am very happy.

I have wires everywhere, too. Wireless is all well and good and much of my hardware is wireless-capable -- but I _know_ that wires won't get interrupted when Verizon is out working on the lines outside, or when a truck goes by, or when my wireless router just decides for ten minutes or so that's it's not going to play with any devices (as my husband and daughter have all found interfere with the wireless here).

I have all _kinds_ of excitement in my life, and chasing down wireless faults is _not_ something I need to add spice to my dull and boring life.

:spaz:

My guess is that your thumb was probably too busy at the time being stuck in a dike to hold back the latest flood.

I just replaced a cartridge and am puzzled as to why the print is fainter than the one I took out. We're talkin' name brand HP 49X, the $140+ kind. I've shaken, rolled, whatever. I did order another already just in case this puppy doesn't last as long as it should. First time this has happened.

I have one of those "light" ones in now and it has been plugging away since 03/18/11. Every day I expect it to die, but so far not. I always put a sticky note on the printer with the date that I changed the toner. Also have a backup laser printer loaded and ready to go just in case. (And, yes, they are both attached with wires. Like Catherine, I am wired to the hilt).....in more ways than one.

I've got three Samsung 23" LED monitors. I'm not sure if they are the 'multi screen' types you mentioned. Two are for me and the 3rd is for the client to see. The 2nd (on my right) is an extension of the 1st (on my left) and the 3rd is a mirror of the 1st.

I can hold the Microsoft icon key down and use the direction arrows to position an open window to show only on the left or right side of the monitor. So I can have two items open showing on each monitor (total of 4) at the same time.

I've not had any problems. I'm not sure what the difference in our hardware/software is.