ATX Community

Have Any of Your EIC Clients Received Their Refunds?

Chowdahead

We are sitting on Feb 14 and the phones are starting to ring from clients that I submitted on the Jan 30th: "What is going on with my refund?".

My concern is that although I have all kinds of photocopies of medical records, school records, and whatever other vague documentation the IRS wants us to collect for EIC clients, I was not aware that the IRS added Page 4 to the 8867 requiring us to check off the documents we received, and that the child was not disabled. This despite the fact that on Page 3 of the 8867 it says by answering all of those questions I have complied with EIC Due Diligence requirements.

ATX did not start flagging Page 4 as yellow Warning until an entire week after E-File opened up. Was this an ATX gaff or late IRS requirement? Apparently it has been showing up in Tax Wise since early January.

I have read in a few places that the IRS will be suspending any returns where the preparer didn't specify on Page 4 the documents reviewed and archived. I'm just hoping that by competing Page 3 and answering "Yes" to all questions, that was sufficient. How could the IRS justify suspending millions of EIC returns because of a software vendor/preparer bureaucratic error when these people can go online to TaxAct or one of the gazillion other free web based tax prep services and enter in whatever info they want and not fall under anyone's scrutiny?

Have any of your early EIC clients received their refunds yet, that you are aware of?

Send them here and tell them to call their Congressman if it is not acceptable.

http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Where's-My-Refund-It's-Quick,-Easy,-and-Secure.

I have been telling every client 10 to 30 days. No phone calls. This is not anything we can change or expidite.

Returns with EIC are being scrutinized heavliy this tax season.

I have a couple who have gotten theirs.

I have been pointing out to clients that I don't know and the IRS won't tell me anymore when to expect their refund. My standard line is

"the IRS want you to reach out and touch them to find out when you will get your refund. Don't call me unless they say they don't have your return. Otherwise, calling me will not get you anywhere as the IRS wants you to go to their website and find out when you will get your refund."

Tom

Hollister, CA

Send them here and tell them to call their Congressman if it is not acceptable.

http://www.irs.gov/Refunds/Where's-My-Refund-It's-Quick,-Easy,-and-Secure.

I have been telling every client 10 to 30 days. No phone calls. This is not anything we can change or expidite.

Returns with EIC are being scrutinized heavliy this tax season.

Thanks, but the link is dead.

I know. However it's annoying because they always say "My <insert name of random other person> files somewhere else on the same day and got her refund already."

Not to mention that I may have been delayed in transmitting a couple days because all of the problems with the software have resulted in everything taking longer to accomplish.

Does the IRS still deposit specific days of the week or don they deposit any day but Sunday?

I know. However it's annoying because they always say "My <insert name of random other person> files somewhere else on the same day and got her refund already."

Not to mention that I may have been delayed in transmitting a couple days because all of the problems with the software have resulted in everything taking longer to accomplish.

Does the IRS still deposit specific days of the week or don they deposit any day but Sunday?

Next time try this: So your friend already recieved their refund you say? Well bring me a copy of their tax return and bank statement to proof they already recieved it, this usually quites them up. It has worked for me.

• Like 2

Thanks, but the link is dead.

https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

The link is also on the homepage of www.irs.gov.

I tell all my/our clients 10-30 days. No one calls me to ask. There is no way we can expedite this.

FROM THE IRS on "Where's My Refund" page"

You can generally expect the IRS to issue your refund in less than 21 calendar days after we receive your tax return.

Use this tool to check on the status of your refund. It provides the most up-to-date information the IRS has. There’s no need to call us unless Where’s My Refund? tells you to do so. Where’s My Refund? is updated every 24 hours – usually overnight -- so you only need to check once a day.

I also, in written form and verbal form say the following... "Due to many possible situations concerning the timing of your tax refund(s) do not spend the money until it is in your bank account." No one listens, but all know that they were informed.

I have seen refunds coming in at 6-7 days that are direct deposit. However, I have yet to have one EIC refund come through (even those from Jan 30). Obviously there is extra processing going on. I am telling all EIC people probably 3 weeks unless there are more delays due to IRS processing changes of returns that claim EIC. I don't know what these processing changes are, but with the addition of pg 4 I can know that I am telling them truth.

I do like that in the acknowledgements this year now tell you when every refund has been issued. So far the one thing I like of ATX 2012.

It does not save it in the program anywhere that I can find. But when I get acknowledgments it has been telling me the Socials of the returns whose refunds have been deposited (not just the fee collect ones, all of them). I just jot down the last 4 of the socials and use the info if I need to (a pesky or anxious client). I have been having my assistant sending emails "your refund may be deposited tomorrow according to the IRS." Clients have been loving it.

It does not save it in the program anywhere that I can find. But when I get acknowledgments it has been telling me the Socials of the returns whose refunds have been deposited (not just the fee collect ones, all of them). I just jot down the last 4 of the socials and use the info if I need to (a pesky or anxious client). I have been having my assistant sending emails "your refund may be deposited tomorrow according to the IRS." Clients have been loving it.

Where do you see this information?

I checked all of my EIC refunds today. All of them except one have been processed and either already deposited or show an anticipated direct deposit date. The one that still only shows it has been received was the first one I e-filed on January 31st but it has a Form 8379 with it so I'm thinking that could be what is slowing it down.

I have noticed most of my non EIC clients are getting their Federal refunds within 12 days of Ack. One EIC taxpayer already got her $6000 today (within 14 days). But my state is doing spot checking (requires taxpayers to provide proof of age and residence) before releasing state refund that has any tax credit amount.

I checked all of my EIC refunds today. All of them except one have been processed and either already deposited or show an anticipated direct deposit date. The one that still only shows it has been received was the first one I e-filed on January 31st but it has a Form 8379 with it so I'm thinking that could be what is slowing it down.

Were you checking Pg. 4 of the 8867 since Jan. 30, before ATX started flagging it on Feb 6? Or were you just doing Pg. 3 (Yes, No, or Does not apply) boxes?