ATX Community

IRS Battling Tsunami of Refund Fraud

Chowdahead

Once again, TurboTax (and other home tax prep software) is mentioned here as a culprit. Yet the IRS keeps pushing people to file that way. Sure there are fraudulent paid preparers, but at least the IRS has their fingerprints on file and can more easily track the preparer.

This may be another reason for a longer refund disbursement times for some people.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-hit-tsunami-tax-identity-fraud-122604383--finance.html

Once again, TurboTax (and other home tax prep software) is mentioned here as a culprit. Yet the IRS keeps pushing people to file that way. Sure there are fraudulent paid preparers, but at least the IRS has their fingerprints on file and can more easily track the preparer.

This may be another reason for a longer refund disbursement times for some people.

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-hit-tsunami-tax-identity-fraud-122604383--finance.html

The IRS does not care......what have they done to make you think anything different.

When I got my EFIN, I think the first year we needed them, I had to go to our township police station and be fingerprinted. I sent mine in and got a letter from IRS telling me that they weren't "readable" and I had to do it again. Well, I called the phone # that was on the letter, talked to an "agent" and explained that I had worked in a factory making bath tubs for 15 years and those prints were as good as they were going to get. The lovely lady told me that I sounded totally honest and she approved me. I still don't have any prints on my fingertips...but I do have my EFIN.

AnnieR

• Like 1

Nobody asked for MY fingerprints. I got my EFIN in 2007, I think, when I went out on my own.

Back when I got my EFIN.. 2004 I believe, I had to be fingerprinted by my local police and I had to mail my prints to the IRS for a background check. So they don't even require this anymore, and they were just approving folks over the phone anyway based on a good story?

Wow... and the IRS wonders why fraud is rampant.

These frauders were doing paper returns with Turbo Tax. Not likely they have EFIN.

The article states that they were using e-file. They were most likely impersonating the individual taxpayer and submitting the return electronically through Turbo Tax. I haven't used TurboTax in years but I'm guessing they have to buy a copy for each fraudulent return. Small investment when you consider they are reaping in $3000.

My guess is that EIC defrauders will be using TurboTax as their next tool since the IRS is clamping down on Paid Preparers and the EIC. When you file through turbo tax there is no 8867 to worry about!

I was finger printed in approximately 1992 when I first started to do e-files through Parsons Tech and had to get an EFIN. Had to go to County Police Dept to have it done and sent to IRS along with application. In those days it cost $15 to file a return electronically; so consequently since nobody wanted to pay the fee, I filed all of my close relatives and myself electronically just to keep the EFIN. If you didn't use it, you could lose it. Things have certainly changed since then.

There were recent rumblings that the IRS is considering requiring fingerprints again for certain preparers in order to obtain your PTIN. However, I imagine now that all hnges on how the IRS litigation turns out.

Nobody asked for MY fingerprints. I got my EFIN in 2007, I think, when I went out on my own.

I don't believe you have to submit a fingerprint card with your EFIN application if you are a CPA or attorney. You just have to submit proof that you have been admitted to the bar or whatever.

No fingerprints for me being a CPA, but part of the application to sit for the CPA exam included submitting my fingerprints with the application. I wonder if current candidates still have to do that?

About the article posted by the OP. The IRS e-services asks for prior year AGI and birthdate when submitting a POA. It seems to me that implementing a similar safety check would eliminate some of the fraud where names and social security numbers have been compromised.

EA not required to have finger prints (not sure that's still true?) I'd guess most fraud done with an EFIN is done with a sisters/boyfriends/aunt's name to avoid any finger printing (when the finger printing would turn something up at least). Passing the EA to get an EFIN without finger printing would be a lot of effort to avoid the finger printing.

Also: Florida. Not surprised...

I would be surprised if an EFIN was used for this fraud. My guess would be IRS' free-file system, since max earned income credit would be under the income level to use free file. And I don't think you have to have prior year's AGI to use that. Been a while since I have helped someone use Free FIle to do their taxes.

I would be surprised if an EFIN was used for this fraud. My guess would be IRS' free-file system, since max earned income credit would be under the income level to use free file. And I don't think you have to have prior year's AGI to use that. Been a while since I have helped someone use Free FIle to do their taxes.

Article says they used TurboTax. No EFIN is required for a taxpayer to file using TurboTax.