ATX Community

Scanner recommendation?

jklcpa

Before many of you disappear for the season, I'd like to hear your recommendations for a good scanner. I don't have a lot of space to put more equipment, so I think a flatbed is out. Is there an advantage to one type over the other? I don't think I'd ever go totally paperless. I like to have a printed copy of return, but I would save a lot of time and paper if I could store the client's source documents electronically.

I've had a Fujitsu ScanSnap for a few years and love it. Upgraded to a Fujitsu in the 6000 models (don't see it on the scanner, maybe 6230Z) to be able to do Flow as well as Scan, needed some advanced features. Apparently, Fujitsu scanners are the workhorses of the industry. I don't have the one that's rated for thousands of pages, nor the flatbed; mine was the cheapest of those designed for office use.

I do have an all-in-one with a flatbed if I have to scan a book or something like that.

Check with the software company you expect to use for scanning into a return or scanning into a document manager or whatever your use will be to see if they have recommendations. Also, look into what bundle you get, such as the full Adobe or an included document manager, when you're comparing scanners and specs and prices.

Fujitsu is full price if you buy through their company store, so compare prices online, such as TigerDirect, and pay attention to delivery costs which varied wildly when I was shopping.

• Like 1

I've had the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 for a few years now and cannot imagine being without it. It is so fast and scans both sides. It has a sleeve into which you can put small or multiple pieces to scan. I also have 2 mfc for flat scanning. One has a document feeder and is laser (Brother 7820N), the second also doc feeder but color inkjet (Brother 5460CN). Both Brothers came with ScanSoft software and the Fujitsu with something that, for me, works great. I am virtually paperless with my fax coming to a dedicated basic refurbished computer. I 'print' from there to Adobe and save in my client files. Love it and my dual monitors.

I purchased the brother DSmobile 700D compact duplex scanner this year. Wanted something that would be small and fit neatly on my desk, plus fit in my case for easy transport. It has worked flawlessly so far. I purchased mine at staples during a sale.

By the way, if you don't have the PriceBlink free app, you should download it. www.priceblink.com/get-add-on

It does not always save you money, but a lot of times it does. PriceBlink lets you know when the product you're viewing can be purchased elsewhere at a lower price. PriceBlink alerts you to money-saving coupons …

Nextag is great for computer stuff, but PriceBlink covers things it does not.

I have a Scansnap1500 too, and the footprint is so tiny I have it on top of a table that's only about 15 inches square and when it's folded up, I've got room to spare. Scans duplex automatically, fast, fast, fast. So easy to use I was scanning stuff within minutes, and I never got the hang of using the flatbed that's on my HP multiuse printer. I literally scanned all my back paper files in two weeks time at the beginning of the season, stopping only to let it or alternately, the shredder cool down.

For years I used a Kodak i1120 duplex, TWAIN-compliant scanner and loved it.

This year added a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 duplex scanner and it is also really good. Not TWAIN, so it's a bit less convenient for making bank deposits online. I also think the Kodak's paper handling was a bit better - have to be a bit more careful with the Fujitsu not to put in too many pages at once and that number is lower than the Kodak.

However the Kodak does NOT have Windows-7-compatible drivers - a fatal flaw.

Both of these scanners are duplex, which is _crucial_ and tiny in foot print, which is a real benefit.

I currently have 2 scanners models in my office the Kodak I65 which I am soon going to replace and the Kodak Scanmate I1120 (20/40ppm/ipm).

The I1120 I bought for some of my staff as I didn't think they needed the speed I require and they have been good cheap workhorses.

The kodak is now too slow for me and I am looking at 2 different ones:

Kodak I2800 with external flatbed (flatbed fits in a desk drawer) (70/140 ppm/ipm)

Fujitsu FI6140z (no flatbed) (60/120 ppm/ipm)

Even though I am a big fan of the Kodak scanners, I am leaning towards the slower Fujitsu due to Kodak's recent bankruptcy.

I also like this online vendor, because of the support I have received and the suggestions when I call them and the Scanner Comparison Table they provide here:

http://www.scantastik.com/high-speed-scanners.htm

I suggest calling them and talking to them. They have always been great to me and have pretty good pricing as well.

I have two duplex scanners that work great.

My problem is managing the documents on my PC.

Everything is scanned into one folder and each document has a generic name automatically associated with it. I have to go in and rename and copy each document to the folder where it belongs.

What software can you recommend to manage the documents after they are scanned into the computer? OR...what am I missing in the setup of the scan software?

quote by Clay

Personally I recommend a software called FileCenter, a reasonably priced and Full Featured Document Manager and Full PDF software, by Lucion software here:

http://www.lucion.com/?gclid=CP-2wMWc1bYCFYNxQgodRVEA5w

I wrote a review of Version 7.0 here:

http://gilassc.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/document-management-what-is-it-and-why-do-i-need-it/

and was a Beta Tester of the just released version 8.

Great software and helped me become paperless and build a complete workflow using its Advanced cabinets

By the way mention the review in my website and they should give you a discount. Shame but they won't give me anything. lol

Anyway, I had been looking for a good DM for several years and reviewed a ton of different software programs. Form low end packages costing as little as $39.95 to software for as much a 9995.00.

Expensive software was always way more than I wanted to pay and the low end guys were useless! This software has the perfect level of features and compromises for the small office.

I've had the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 for a few years now and cannot imagine being without it. It is so fast and scans both sides. It has a sleeve into which you can put small or multiple pieces to scan. I also have 2 mfc for flat scanning. One has a document feeder and is laser (Brother 7820N), the second also doc feeder but color inkjet (Brother 5460CN). Both Brothers came with ScanSoft software and the Fujitsu with something that, for me, works great. I am virtually paperless with my fax coming to a dedicated basic refurbished computer. I 'print' from there to Adobe and save in my client files. Love it and my dual monitors.

Although I like Fujitsu, I suggest that you stay away from the ScanSnaps. These are not Twain compatible and other software will not drive them reliably.

There only real advantage is that they are cheap, but you will pay later when you can't do what you want since you are missing the twain drivers.