ATX Community

ATX 2013 system requirements

rfassett

Guest Taxed

Over the years I have noticed that it is the amount of memory that makes a big difference in speed with tax and other accounting software.

My original workstations had 1GB memory and when I upgraded to 2GB and 4GB I could really appreciate the difference in the speed of calculation and video display.

Why stop at 6?

It's so cheap, and not a serious business consideration, just buy 50 or so. :)

Replaced 5 workstations this past Feb 15. All will be up to recommended+ by start of next season.

Hardware does not have to be expensive. A little investigation, and not listening to salespersons can make as much as 40% difference.

Our superworkstations we bought with 240GB SSD, 16GB RAM, i5 processors, WIN7 PRO, dual monitor capability (now this is almost double the recommended hardware) came in under $1,000. The absolute speed and processing power is unbelievable. Time from power on to desktop is 7 seconds.

Replaced 5 workstations this past Feb 15. All will be up to recommended+ by start of next season.

Hardware does not have to be expensive. A little investigation, and not listening to salespersons can make as much as 40% difference.

Our superworkstations we bought with 240GB SSD, 16GB RAM, i5 processors, WIN7 PRO, dual monitor capability (now this is almost double the recommended hardware) came in under $1,000. The absolute speed and processing power is unbelievable. Time from power on to desktop is 7 seconds.

Did you build them yourself for this cost?! If not, I want the name of your vendor!

Guest Taxed

Jack I am happy that you have superworkstations in your office BUT for most of us lonely soles on a very limited IT budget that is not practically possible. I agree we need to upgrade when absolutely necessary but not an over kill!

With the setup you have you should definately be a beta tester for ATX!

How much did you pay in productivity licenses. Microsoft office pro? That is always the one I choke on. Every hardware upgrade gets a microsoft license.

Tom

Hollister, CA

In Dec. 2009, when I ordered my current computer, I figured ATX was going to continue to be a memory hog, and as I expect my computer to have to last 5 years at the minimum, I bought the beefiest system I could afford. I7 quad-core processor, 9GB RAM (and upgradable to 16 I think), 750 GB HD. Win7 Pro. No fancy stuff, just guts. So that's my 3 year old computer, and it's better than most of the ones people on here and the other board have been running. Cost? $1800 out the door, including Office 2007 software & a monitor. I can't believe there was someone complaining about ATX, and they were running Vista. Who in their right mind bought a biz computer with Vista?

• Like 2

Mine is one year old this month and is an i5 quad core (originally 4G ram updated to 16 G) 500 GB HD. Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I know that with the 23" monitor; Office 2010 with three licenses and very little garbage; I didn't spend $1000. I hope this system lasts me for 10 years like the XP did, but that could be a stretch. Funny thing was that my basic tower jumped over $200 in December just before Win 8 hit the streets.

As you know, Joan, neither of us had massive problems; nothing we couldn't live with until they fixed it. When I called my rep, she asked what my system was and when I told her she said, "Good!" so they seem to have identified the best system (s) to run 2012 and 2013. Will see what they decide going forward.

How much did you pay in productivity licenses. Microsoft office pro? That is always the one I choke on. Every hardware upgrade gets a microsoft license.

Tom

Hollister, CA

When I take a system out of service, I transfer the license to the new machine. I only buy new licenses when I buy upgraded software.

Currently using Office 2007 Home and Student edition. Purchased from my hardware supplier. in 2009. Each package licensed 3 systems. I bought 5 packages. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. I think it came to $38 per license. You gotta shop these things, and don't by packages of software that have things you don't need. We do not need Office Small Business or Office Premier.

• Like 1

Jack I am happy that you have superworkstations in your office BUT for most of us lonely soles on a very limited IT budget that is not practically possible. I agree we need to upgrade when absolutely necessary but not an over kill!

With the setup you have you should definately be a beta tester for ATX!

If you are a standalone system, replacing a $500-$600 system every two or three years should not break your budget. If it does, you are running your business on too little margin.

Likewise, a superworkstations like I described every three years will not break the budget either. Of the 5 newest workstations, 3 are the superworkstations like I described. Of the 5 we will replace, 3 will be the superworkstations. The others are used for tasks that do not include preparation of returns.

Replacing the 5 workstations in mid Feb this season is all that allowed us not to be totally destroyed by the software. Now that many of the problems (not nearly all) have been fixed, the program hums along at a very reasonable pace. (Not nearly as fast as it could/should be, but the last 7-8 days of the season were hugely more productive on a daily basis than before)

Guest Taxed

Computers must be cheaper in Ohio because i can not find anyone selling 5 towers with the setup you have for $1000. That is $200 a piece. For that price I am looking at a basic Celeron system.

Who is your vendor?

Computers must be cheaper in Ohio because i can not find anyone selling 5 towers with the setup you have for $1000. That is $200 a piece. For that price I am looking at a basic Celeron system.

Who is your vendor?

Seriously? Is this an attempt at humor or just straight sarcasm...

Workstations to meet the recommended specs by ATX for 2013 - $500-$600 EACH, delivered.

Superworkstations - (Custom built to my specs) $1,000 - $1,100 EACH delivered.

I have supplier connections that date back to 1997 when I became an authorized reseller for them. Long term customers are appreciated by my supplier.

Interesting thread. i read every response and came away with the feeling:

If you can't keep up with the pack, then you should just die.

My points of discussion are meant to say that you CAN keep up without breaking the bank, if you are willing to put on the learning cap, or hire someone who will, and take on the learning curve of keeping up.

BTW, I will soon be 57 years old. So don't throw the "too old to learn" thing out. It has no relevance.

Guest Taxed

Seriously? Is this an attempt at humor or just straight sarcasm...

Workstations to meet the recommended specs by ATX for 2013 - $500-$600 EACH, delivered.

Superworkstations - (Custom built to my specs) $1,000 - $1,100 EACH delivered.

I have supplier connections that date back to 1997 when I became an authorized reseller for them. Long term customers are appreciated by my supplier.

No sarcasm. I thought you posted that your upgrade for 5 workstations was under $1000!

I can see $1000 per workstation in the ballpark around here.

I used to buy a lot of parts from CompUSA, now TigerDirect.

My points of discussion are meant to say that you CAN keep up without breaking the bank, if you are willing to put on the learning cap, or hire someone who will, and take on the learning curve of keeping up.

BTW, I will soon be 57 years old. So don't throw the "too old to learn" thing out. It has no relevance.

It's nice that you are 56 going on 57.

Thanks for telling me what I can and can't throw out.

Thanks for telling me what has relevance.

Thanks for telling me a learning cap and curve can increase my IT Budget.

Thanks for sharing that you have $ 5000 every 2-3 years for capital improvements.

It's nice that you are 56 going on 57.

Thanks for telling me what I can and can't throw out.

Thanks for telling me what has relevance.

Thanks for telling me a learning cap and curve can increase my IT Budget.

Thanks for sharing that you have $ 5000 every 2-3 years for capital improvements.

You are welcome. Glad I could help. I/we intend to be here many years with successful tax practices.

My hp12C is from 1980 when I started an MBA program in finance. My son had a bad fall with it in his hands as he brought it to me. Besides the sidewalk scrapes on its face, it thinks it's in some financial mode with BEGIN D.MY permanently under the numbers. But it works great, and I've learned to ignore the extraneous memo. That's because I don't need anything more from a calculator than my hp 12C provides. For my office computer, I bought the fastest my techie suggested and three monitors (two portrait for taxes and one landscape for boards, research, email, Excel, etc.).

• Like 1

My hp12C is from 1980 when I started an MBA program in finance. My son had a bad fall with it in his hands as he brought it to me. Besides the sidewalk scrapes on its face, it thinks it's in some financial mode with BEGIN D.MY permanently under the numbers. But it works great, and I've learned to ignore the extraneous memo. That's because I don't need anything more from a calculator than my hp 12C provides. For my office computer, I bought the fastest my techie suggested and three monitors (two portrait for taxes and one landscape for boards, research, email, Excel, etc.).

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO Three monitors!! I am in geek AWE!! I have two systems in my corner with 2 monitors each.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours??? ;)

Guest Taxed

Just curious, with 2 or 3 monitors connected to one system, how are you guys using it?

Do you have one facing the client as you are doing the tax prep? If yes, do they stop you and ask too many questions as you do the data input? That would drive me crazy.

When I got my 46 inch Visio LCD TV it had a VGA and I use that to do demos or watch Netflix!

BTW once you get used to HP12c it is difficult to adjust to a regular calculator!

except for admin staff, all of our professionals only have laptops with docking stations, 2-3 monitors per desk. we replace each laptop every 3 years because they start to slow down and get cluttered with so much old software and downloads etc. Increasing memory and speed are also reasons to upgrade often. Afterall this is our work tools and should be as advanced as you can afford. Monitors only get upgraded when they wear out. There are studies that say most people use around 15 programs for work but cpa's use more like 40 and this really slows the machines. Having to be compatible with clients I have quickbooks 2009-2012, 8 years of atx and now 2 years of proseries. likewise payroll and sales tax programs, tax tools, research programs, 6-7 years of client data [dupl on network and laptop] amortization software, f/a/m, office, word, audit programs, writeup-workpaper programs both my current and prior, some client specific progams so they can send me a file to work on, etc etc etc.

Well no wonder my files load slowly ! In talking to tech support I am told the 1.4 ghz processor will work but client files will load slowly. Any of you know if this processor speed can be boosted or can I replace it with another using my existing Compac computer ?

Just curious, with 2 or 3 monitors connected to one system, how are you guys using it?

Do you have one facing the client as you are doing the tax prep? If yes, do they stop you and ask too many questions as you do the data input? That would drive me crazy.

When I got my 46 inch Visio LCD TV it had a VGA and I use that to do demos or watch Netflix!

BTW once you get used to HP12c it is difficult to adjust to a regular calculator!

nothing faces the client, one monitor has current year, one prior year and third has qb file open etc.