ATX Community

A new RANT - They are going to get rid of William

BulldogTom

KC posted in another thread that ATX is canning William Tasker at the end of the season. That is so crazy, and makes it look like ATX is history.

I find it very interesting that they trotted William out on this board when they cut the Maine support to calm us all down. You think they did not know that we would all ask for refunds if we thought there was no support, and without William, there would be no support. They would have lost a bunch of us, and we were getting vocal. They got their money's worth out of him, because as soon as we thought he would be popping in, we calmed down. After a couple of days, he was not seen here anymore.

Interesting.

Tom

Lodi, CA

That really comes as no big suprise to me. In the past if I had a problem that wasn't getting resolved I could e-mail William per his invitation and he always took great, no even better than great, care of me and solved whatever the problem was.

I have e-mailed him I believe three times this year regarding the same issue, and he finally did respond with a promise to send my problem to management. I have never received a call back nor did I get a promised call back from support regarding my issue.

I wish I could say that this last news is what caused me to abonded ATX, but it isn't. I already made that decesion before reading this post, but it only confirms that I made the right decesion. I'm not like some who is going to switch right now, as I do not have time to learn a new program. But ATX I PROMISE YOU THIS: When April 15th comes along I will be shopping. And even if I have to settle for a less than ideal program for tax year 2008 IT WILL NOT BE YOUR PRODUCT! ANY OF THEM!

Deb!

Except for William being a listed member, I have not seen any posts from him myself - but it did take me a awhile to even find this community.

For any member, you can look them by clicking on the Members button above, and then when you find the one you want, one of the options you have is to look at the posts by that member. William has posted here seven times. I think since they sent him to Rome GA he has not had a chance to post. At least that is my guess. And the news that he was told his job would end in April came to me from another employee at ATX, not on a forum.

Deb, I think the reason he did not get you the results we had come to expect from him is that he is no longer in a position to do what he used to do. He's now in Rome GA, and trying to train the people there, but he does not have the position that made it possible for him to cut red tape for us like he used to do. Not his fault.

I love how someone told me to take off the chicken suit and that William still has the same pull as he used to, only to hear this. I was making a comment about him not being in the same building as the developers anymore and you all know that someone standing over you always gets more grease than someone calling you on the phone, not saying he had been demoted or anything. I actually wasn't trying to say the sky was falling in that specific post, just trying to defend William. I know, some of you are tired of me posting here... I will try to keep my comments to myself from now on unless it is something I can specifically help with. It's hard though as I really have a strong feeling about this company as it's more like a family to me than anything else, otherwise don't you think I would have given up on it after not working there for 9 years?

Nope, I can't help with this either, but if they do let William go and still keep the ATX program, I personally think they have made one HUGE mistake. Of course, I could see where he might not have wanted to relocate, so maybe it was his own decision maybe?

I'll start by saying that William is a great guy and if he leaves the company, he'll truly be missed. BUT OMG! What makes anyone here think that having William standing over them has anything to do with the dedication of the developers? That's almost insulting. Every e-mail, phone call, IM, pipeline suggestion, that is sent to the developers is treated just the same and just as seriously as if delivered from William.

And I love this "without William, there would be no support". Without William, some of you might not have concierge service, but you won't get that at any other software company. And many of you have other contacts, just as knowledgeable and helpful. Right, KC?

Mel. It has been a long time since you worked for ATX, hasn't it? The developers haven't been in the same building as William since Steve W. moved that chunk of the organization to FL. When was that? '97? '98?

I don't know anything about William. But maybe he doesn't want to relocate to GA permanently. There's a big difference in ME and GA. Does William ski? I'd like to get up there and do some cross country skiing. I love that LL Bean store too.

So far CCH has continued to tell us that they plan to support ATX in the future.

We can all agree that the changes they have don't appear to be very positive. It is possible that they are only trying to consolidate management and reduce costs to make the product more profitable to them. I for one have been angry with the changes and loss of support, but as a business man, CPA and attorney, I do understand that there is no employee that cannot be replaced.

And yes, I have been keeping my options open, looking at the other software out there (not liking what I see either) and have yet to make any decision to leave ATX. If we are all running scared and don't give CCH and Taxwise a chance to integrate, we will be the ones that have spelled DOOM to this product. By finding other options we are whittling away their base of customers and making the decision for them. Instead, maybe we should be letting them know what we want, and making suggestions to them to help them integrate the ATX product.

Will I miss William? Him and many of the other I have come to rely on, but that does not mean ATX is dead. Let's make sure it not us that kills this product.

Joel

Deb, I think the reason he did not get you the results we had come to expect from him is that he is no longer in a position to do what he used to do. He's now in Rome GA, and trying to train the people there, but he does not have the position that made it possible for him to cut red tape for us like he used to do. Not his fault.

I agree KC. I hope my comment was not taken as a slap against William. It was never intended too!. I felt all along that the reason I wasn't getting the help wasn't his fault. Although he did e-mail me I could since in it's tone that none of this was his doing.

I have always respected William, and quite frankly was one of the main reasons I chose to renew this year. I felt (I guess I was dreaming) that as long as William was around, support would be o.k. Like many I was caught way off guard when the support we all came to know and respect was no longer there. Therefore for myself, there is absolutely nothing keeping me with ATX. In fact I feel that as soon as I can cut the ties I can move on.

I sincerely hope that we can find a product that delivers at least some of what ATX delivered in the past, but with the emphasize on support. This is always a stressing time for all of us, but if you can't rely on help being given in a timely fashion, I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't be better off doing them by hand? (not really, but the point is when we call for support it's usually beause we have exhausted all possible means of fixing the problem ourself. At leat that's the case with me. So when I call it's because I really need help!)

Again I'm sorry if I implied anything negative about William, it was actually directed at that company that's trying to murder our program!

Deb!

After 7 years of using ATX, I would miss the ease of entering data directly on the forms. I demo'd Drake last summer and just didn't care for their mode of entry. But, all things considered, lack of support for the existing ATX product may be why many leave ATX next season. And, those of us from Minnesota are still waiting to efile. That is inexcusable and there's been no explanation from ATX on why we continue to wait. If ATX cares about their customers, and I don't believe they do, they have botched customer relations to the point where many of us will leave them behind.

Mel. It has been a long time since you worked for ATX, hasn't it? The developers haven't been in the same building as William since Steve W. moved that chunk of the organization to FL. When was that? '97? '98?

There are 2 development groups. Forms designers (FL) and program designers (ME). SW moved to Florida YEARS before I left (but HE was never in Maine at all except on a business trip or visiting GW, one in the same really), that didn't mean that Caribou was all sales and tech after the FORMS designers left. The problem I was discussing at the time was a programming issue, not a forms design issue, that group is still in Maine... If you don't believe me, go revisit some of CCH's own comments about them keeping the developers on in MAINE. Same building, different group.

I know, some of you are tired of me posting here... I will try to keep my comments to myself from now on unless it is something I can specifically help with. It's hard though as I really have a strong feeling about this company as it's more like a family to me than anything else, otherwise don't you think I would have given up on it after not working there for 9 years?

Why would anyone be tired of you posting here? You have offered a great deal of technical and practical support over the years. I hope that we are not going to start bickering and pointing fingers on this board as was done on the original ATX board. I also agree with the poster who said that we should be careful that we are not the ones who kill ATX.......

Mel, please do not stop posting any time you have a thought to share. No one that I know thinks you are out of line in doing that. And many of us find your POV to be very valuable. And I, for one, just plain like reading your posts. Your advice is always useful, and your sense of humor is too. Please stay an active member, Mel. If anyone beats up on you, I will put a hex on them, I promise! :lol:

If I can add my two cents. Was Mel a part owner of ATX when it was sold to CCH?

If so, then that explains him being in Hawaii, where he can spend all that $$$$$

he received from CCH.

Also, if he WAS a part owner, then WHY should he care about what happens to the

current users of ATX? To be honest, I WOULDN'T. I'd be too busy counting my money.

Booger

Nope, NOT a part owner... I left ATX 9 years ago Booger, but I WAS there when it was a card table in the living room at the very beginning.

Want an explaination of why I am in Hawaii... I married a girl from Hawaii and she couldn't handle the cold weather of Maine, so I left ATX and came here trying not to have my family split up. But now I am here because my kids were born here. I certainly don't have $$$$$ to throw around, that's for sure. After going through having your disabled wife attempt suicide multiple times, a divorce and trying to be a parent by yourself doesn't leave much room to be rich.

As far as a beta test, I have a program running... BUT it's severely lacking. It puts a form on the screen, calculates, saves/loads and prints... BUT there is a long way to go. I need to build a depreciation module, forms dependancy, efiling module, tons of forms, come back to you guys for suggested 'must have' features. When I am ready, I will have a board just like this one except closed for people to download and try from, but it takes a while when you are doing most everything yourself. Trying to decide on what is the minimum features that it must have that first year is hard as I would love to have it all, but it's just not going to be feasable. Things like W2/1099 stuff just won't make it that first year for sure. I also don't want people testing too early as I will spend all my time chasing bug reports that will likely be straightened out long before I get it ready for real.

Wow Mel. Sorry to hear of your past troubles.

Also, I hope that someone here didn't write that they were tired of your postings. I hope you will stay. I welcome your posts from a different perspective than that of a program user.

Keep us updated on the new program. It's all news to me. I thought references to a new program were only rumors or wishfull thinking.

Thanks Mel for the update on how the program is coming. I have already made up my mind that if the program is available by next tax season, I will buy it. I know it won't have everything the first year that ATX has now, but that's OK. As for the W2 and 1099 part, I'm sure I can find something somewhere. Please keep us posted.

Don't let the program keep you from spending the time with your children that you need to. My son was 12 when I got divorced and he came with me. I wish I could go back and spend more time with him while he was growing up, but I was too busy trying to make a living. . .

Gene

Thanks Mel for the update on how the program is coming. I have already made up my mind that if the program is available by next tax season, I will buy it. I know it won't have everything the first year that ATX has now, but that's OK. As for the W2 and 1099 part, I'm sure I can find something somewhere. Please keep us posted.

Don't let the program keep you from spending the time with your children that you need to. My son was 12 when I got divorced and he came with me. I wish I could go back and spend more time with him while he was growing up, but I was too busy trying to make a living. . .

Gene

Gene, sounds like I was in the same boat as you (my son was 11 at the time).............I think (HOPE) he

understood why I couldn't spend as much time with him as I should have. The song "Cats In The Cradle"

always comes to mind when I think about it.

Booger

Nope, NOT a part owner... I left ATX 9 years ago Booger, but I WAS there when it was a card table in the living room at the very beginning.

As far as a beta test, I have a program running... BUT it's severely lacking. It puts a form on the screen, calculates, saves/loads and prints... BUT there is a long way to go. I need to build a depreciation module, forms dependancy, efiling module, tons of forms, come back to you guys for suggested 'must have' features. When I am ready, I will have a board just like this one except closed for people to download and try from, but it takes a while when you are doing most everything yourself. Trying to decide on what is the minimum features that it must have that first year is hard as I would love to have it all, but it's just not going to be feasable. Things like W2/1099 stuff just won't make it that first year for sure. I also don't want people testing too early as I will spend all my time chasing bug reports that will likely be straightened out long before I get it ready for real.

Is ATX the only program out there that is spreadsheet based. I'm not familiar with other programs? I've only used ATX.