ATX Community

update on ATX beta testing plans

Catherine

Just spoke with ATX on the beta testing.

They are still taking names for testers (in case anyone else is interested).

Starts on 9/9 and goes for three weeks.

Week #1: installation (stand alone AND network; they need both)

Week #2: client letters

Week #3: printing

You will note there is NOTHING in all that addressing functionality, non-glacial processing speeds, or any of the other major problems we had. Just those three areas.

I will still test, but it's looking more and more like Drake.

Anyone here going to the Drake seminar in NJ on Nov 7&8? I may see you there.

• Like 1

Probably to test in as many "different" system configurations as possible..... ?

I believe that was one of the problems with their system last year.... ATX did not play well with the other software in our systems.....???

But I will be very unhappy if that is all that is being tested.... We need speed of opening ATX, and speed of opening client returns... etc. etc. etc. We need stability. We need reliability. We need functionality.

We need all of the functions that worked pre-2012 ATX to just work!

>>> I believe that was one of the problems with their system last year.... ATX did not play well with the other software in our systems.....??? <<<

Other software meaning non CCH software? That is a tough one to test given the infinite combination of other software.

>>> I believe that was one of the problems with their system last year.... ATX did not play well with the other software in our systems.....??? <<<

Other software meaning non CCH software? That is a tough one to test given the infinite combination of other software.

I think it means Windows Server, Microsoft Office, etc. :wall:

• Like 1

I think it means Windows Server, Microsoft Office, etc. :wall:

Just a bit.

Yes, it is hard to ensure compatibility with every possible piece of software out there -- but Office, QuickBooks, Sage, CFS Tax Tools -- the sort of software that could almost invariably be expected on the computers of a tax and accounting firm -- that should be tested. DOSbox and APL emulators? Those can be skipped with impunity on the part of CCH, and if you have trouble in your own office that's a shame but that's the way it goes sometimes.

>>> Yes, it is hard to ensure compatibility with every possible piece of software out there -- but Office, QuickBooks, Sage, CFS Tax Tools <<<

If you want ATX to test compability with other accounting related software, give them a list of which software give you the trouble and then test it as long as the list is reasonable length.

I know many tax prep software refuses to work with Open Office word processing or their spreadsheet program and that is by design I was told. Guess who forced them into that??

I use Norton and that causes issues with updates from many other software unless you put the exact web address and program in the exception list. In a way it is good because it is watching over all programs that is being updated. I would not want a virus or Trojan horse do malicious updates to a legit file.

ATX's problem last year was not about compatabilty with other software, it was about changing to a development platform that both is not the proper platform and the programing staffs inabilty to both understand the platform and use the platform correctly.

As for Beta Testing, it appears that they are definately enlisting far more testers for the 2013 season. This could and probably is for 2 reasons:

1. Clearly they did not test sufficiently last year so an expanded base should improve reults

2. IMHO, they could be hoping that more beta testers from the group of users that have not renewed, could help them create a sale/renewal.

As for me, I renewed Drake in May!

• Like 1

Are Beta testers getting a free 2013 software to test or must they pay up front to renew and then test?

Neither is a prerequisite as far as I know. Renewing is definitely not a requirement. As far as how much of the program we will see is still unknown to us.

• Like 1

If you don't see the complete program, how much confidence will you have that it will perform as desired come Feb?

An *excellent* question. The answer will have to wait on what we do get for beta-testing and how much of a train wreck that it. If they can't even get editing client letters right, confidence will (rightfully) be really low. How far it might go in the other direction....??

There's an old sales technique sometimes known as "striplining". It is borrowed from fishing terminology, and makes them think they are off the hook while you are simultaneously preparing to set the hook. Basically, it involves shifting the customer into a "neutral" condition and slowing them down when they're in a state of indecision. Then you gradually feed them little bits of info designed to move them in the direction you want them to go, but only in litte steps. At some point they are so heavily invested in your product, as so worn down by the process, that they pull the trigger in your favor in order to get it over with and make the pain of indecision go away. (Auto dealers are experts at this). Does anyone else see any parallels here?

• Like 2

I agree with JohnH and jklcpa's observations. So then does it not make sense that ATX should offer some discount and a price lock for 3 years to "marry" these users (old and new) for at least 3 years and recoup some of their development expenses?

One would think so, Taxed -- but CCH has yet to do much of anything substantive to their existing customers. So I don't advise holding your breath.

I purchased Drake for 2013 months ago. That purchase is fully refundable to 12/31 -- and CCH/ATX has a *very* high hurdle to make to get me back as a paying customer. I signed up as a beta tester in part to give them that chance.

• Like 3

Something tells me that we may have a bigger Drake user community on this board ATX Community. Last count on the poll I think 42% of us are switching or switched to Drake??

I am framing my ATX 2009 and 2010 CD!

I just got my letter, and among the list of improvements is:

Performance and Stability

• Launching the application

• Opening returns

• Adding forms to an open return

• Printing

My guess is you will see these naturally during the course of testing.

I have not been at home for two weeks, but look forward to seeing the letter when I get back. Since my clients can still contact me at this location, I am aware that there is a lot of catch-up work waiting for me on Monday.