ATX Community

N/T-OF ALL DAYS

michaelmars

My phone craps out and I wasn't getting my email pushes so I had lots of emails I didn't see.

A late client comes in missing all 1099's but brings 12 monthly statements for each account to add up interest and dividends. If it weren't for the fact she brought me a collectors bottle of single malt to save and a second bottle of glenlivet to drink I would have been pissed.

• Like 4

I had the last minute client, currently under chemo that brought her box o' receipts and a partially finished spreadsheet with a lot of stuff in the 'questions' pile that she had already paid quite a bit to someone to sort for her on Saturday. I called up my assistant, who doesn't work weekends to come in. She put in nearly 12 hours getting the stuff done, plus over time so that I could meet with the client & her girlfriend while getting last minute bits of stuff entered to try to get her tax bill down. Overtime because client was late.

So yes, the bill was more than usual, and I didn't even bill at my rates for then sorting the spreadsheet my assistant did to fit the categories on the return, which I usually do. And by the time the client got there, I was totally exhausted, especially since we were both working against a deadline.

Client bitched about the bill. I'm still stressing on that one. But she did bring me a Jamba Juice.

I had the last minute client, currently under chemo that brought her box o' receipts and a partially finished spreadsheet with a lot of stuff in the 'questions' pile that she had already paid quite a bit to someone to sort for her on Saturday. I called up my assistant, who doesn't work weekends to come in. She put in nearly 12 hours getting the stuff done, plus over time so that I could meet with the client & her girlfriend while getting last minute bits of stuff entered to try to get her tax bill down. Overtime because client was late.

So yes, the bill was more than usual, and I didn't even bill at my rates for then sorting the spreadsheet my assistant did to fit the categories on the return, which I usually do. And by the time the client got there, I was totally exhausted, especially since we were both working against a deadline.

Client bitched about the bill. I'm still stressing on that one. But she did bring me a Jamba Juice.

Your bill should have been 20% higher since you knew she would complain. I have a sign I pull out for people like her....

"Lack of planning on your part does not create an emergency situation on mine."

Joan:

My wife is having surgery for Breast Cancer tommorrow.

I haven't gotten anything done for two months since this process started.

I will still bill my late clients a premium, but I will be giving those that got me stuff earlier a break...

Your client has got to pay.

Sorry. She has had those receipts since January.

All she had to do was drop them off.

Maybe she will next year.....

Rich

• Like 3

Your bill should have been 20% higher since you knew she would complain. I have a sign I pull out for people like her....

I think you stole that one from me! Its posted behind my desk in a nice frame. right next to another that says.

"I don't like charging friends for services but after long and exhaustive research I have determined that my enemies won't do business with me."

• Like 5

Sign or no sign, people who are habitually late don't understand that phrase at all. Obviously your only recourse is to bill them additional fees or fire them if it is too much trouble.

I am waiting for my last client at 10am today. Called him at 9 to remind him again that today is the day he dreads.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the well wishes for my wife....

Thought I would update, Have not been around much... I was training as a nurse... I am trying hard!

However....

My wife had lumpectomy surgery on Oct 16th. She got to spend the night, which was nice, (the ins co has since denied paying for this...) and we went home the next day.

Some of you ladies on here, and some of the men, may have spouses, sisters, daughters or mothers who have been thru this...

But there is alot of pain at first, that is controlled by drugs, thankfully, and you get to carry what is called a "drain" Yes, a plastic tube runs out of the side of your chest down to a little bottle that you have to collect the fluids that are draining from your body... It is my job to clear the tube, log the total fluid, and empty the bottle....

It has been 13 days and she still has the drain.... But we are getting close, and she can get it removed soon... YEAH! Cuz its a PITA....

However.

The pathology on the cancer came back and they did not get it all..... The "pictures" of the cancer had it at 2.5cm, and they cut out 5cm, and they still didn't get it all.

So, she has to go back to surgery after she completes chemo in March. And she will have the double mastectomy then. If the Mammograms can't see the cancer before the surgery, they are not going to see it in the other breast later, so, she made the decision to remove them both.

Makes for a bad week....

Her spirits are good, and she got to go into work today for the first time, so things are good. But this is a long slog....

Rich

Prayers here also. A dear friend of mine went through this last winter (double mastectomy) chosen for the same reasons as your wife. She is a Survivor. She has been back to work full time for many months now and doing extremely well both mentally and physically. May your case turn out the same.

It sounds like both you and your wife have a good attitude, and that can be so important. I will continue to hold you both in my prayers - sometimes it is as hard to help someone you love through this as it is to go through it yourself, from what people tell me. Please keep us posted as you have time, but the most important thing is to be there for your wife.