ATX Community

Should I downgrade my PC to Window 7 Professional

I bought my desktop last year. It came with window 7 professional with an option to upgrade to window 8. I had upgrade to window 8.1

Now Jack from Ohio is saying that we should only use window 7 professional.

Is there a way to downgrade my machine back to window 7 professional. IF so should I be doing that.

Will I lose all my program and setting if I down grade to window 7 Professional?

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

Just my opinion since i don't use ATX anymore.

Mr. Mohan try with Win 8.1 first and see if it works or not and if it does not then decide to downgrade.

I use Drake and it works with 8.1 just fine, though they recommend Win 7 and below. Their sales guy told me that most of them still use XP. I have XP and Win 7 and I tried it on a laptop with 8.1 from my son.

If you have printer and scanner drivers for 8.1 you are good to go. That is usually the limiting factor.

• Like 1

I agree with Taxed. Windows 8 is very similar to Windows 7. It might not feel that way because of the changes to the interface, but at it's core, it's pretty much all incremental improvements. External device drivers (printers/scanners) are most likely going to be your biggest concern.

If you can get used to a Start Screen instead of a Start Menu, then you're at least 80% of the way to being totally comfortable with Windows 8.1.

As far as software compatibility goes (besides drivers), I can't imagine that there would be issues for ATX software, but you never know I guess. Depending on the company, what OS they officially support might be just as important as what actually works.

Software might work just fine with a particular version of Windows, but if it's not "officially" supported by the company, it's too easy for tech support to just say "sorry, you're on your own"

EDIT: As far as going back to Windows 7 from 8, I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I'd be scared about it being a flaky process. That's just my nerd intuition, though, nothing scientific.

• Like 1

According to my son going from Windows 8 to Windows 7 requires a clean install of Windows 7. That means you will lose all your settings and programs. Also you have to have the full version of Windows 7 and not just the upgrade version because that will detect another Windows program that is not compatible and not let you proceed further.

One thing that I don't like in windows 8 is the use of command prompt to delete a network profile. You have to go to the C> prompt and actually type netsh wlan delete profile name = <profilename>

There are other network related functions that require scripting?

Those were from the DOS or UNIX days?

According to my son going from Windows 8 to Windows 7 requires a clean install of Windows 7. That means you will lose all your settings and programs. Also you have to have the full version of Windows 7 and not just the upgrade version because that will detect another Windows program that is not compatible and not let you proceed further.

One thing that I don't like in windows 8 is the use of command prompt to delete a network profile. You have to go to the C> prompt and actually type netsh wlan delete profile name = <profilename>

There are other network related functions that require scripting?

Those were from the DOS or UNIX days?

I've never been a fan of upgrading Windows from one version to another. I always feel like it's unclean--Windows upgrades are always so major and so far between, I guess I just don't trust Microsoft to get it right. I'd be a lot more comfortable with small/cheap incremental upgrades over time like Apple does, and like Microsoft has with 8 to 8.1.

I don't know of any other function that requires the command line in Windows 8 that didn't in Windows 7. I guess I didn't notice this one because I only have one network profile on all of my Windows 8 computers (three desktops). Is that even the case with wireless networks?

Have had W8.1 since its preliminary release in June, 2013. IMHO, an excellent OS - much more stable than W7. Normally by now, I would have had to reinstall the OS by now. W8.1 shows no signs of slowing down nor having issues. Have yet to find an application that had any issues with 8.1 including a 5 year old Bible software I have. The major complaint with W8 was the interface and people's normal reluctance to change. After that left a bad taste in the mouth of the users, nothing worked right. W8.1 greatly modified the interface. fixed some things and added features.

With Windows 8.1 you can change the boot up option in the Navigation Tab to bootup directly to the Desktop. You bypass the Windows 8 tablet tiles etc. and it looks just like Win 7. That is a great feature including the start button on lower left. Right click on it and it works just like Win 7.

I have noticed some software still says Windows 8 compatible so you just have to make sure if it requires any drivers they are also 8.1 compatible. Most are anyways but just check before you get disappointed.

I've had W8 (now 8.1)on my new laptop (now a year old) with no problems. There's still a lot to get used to but I like it and I like the touch functionality. The only hold back on getting a new W8 desktop for office is the pricey large touch monitors. If you're using W8, you definitely need to take advantage of the touch functionality. You won't eliminate using the mouse or keyboard shortcuts, but there are a lot of touch functions that more convenient.

Would you use a large touch monitor while preparing tax returns? What would be the advantage unless you are demonstrating the preparation process to the client. i know some preparers have dual monitors and one is for the client to follow along. I do not do that because it will slow me down with questions??

As most know I've moved on to ProSeries. But I checked with both ATX and ProSeries in June before I got my Win 7 machine both advise me to get the Win 7. The new software will work on Win 8 but the older TAX software might be a problem. If you need to do a 2011 return for example you may have to do it on another machine to make it work. Both companies told me this. I called them and ask before I purchased.

August

I like to keep the last 3 yrs tax prep software on my main computer for 1040X work. All previous software starting with 2000 is on a separate computer. This way i don't clutter my main computer. The only time I need to visit it is when a new client comes in with unfiled return problem or they are filing for bankruptcy and attorney is asking for all returns that were unfiled.

For my current clients I keep a pdf of their return as filed in my paperless filing system for later use if needed. This way i don't even have to open the tax prep software if a copy is needed by the client. which happens a lot (FAFSA, refinancing, etc.)

As most know I've moved on to ProSeries. But I checked with both ATX and ProSeries in June before I got my Win 7 machine both advise me to get the Win 7. The new software will work on Win 8 but the older TAX software might be a problem. If you need to do a 2011 return for example you may have to do it on another machine to make it work. Both companies told me this. I called them and ask before I purchased.

August

I appreciate your/their comments but my feeling is that they usually say that to avoid many tech support issues same as they do with the recommended system hardware requirements. Win 8 has a compatibly feature for older programs. The only issues I have run into since about the windows vista release was getting older DOS based programs to run natively and there are other programs that will allow you to do this.

For my current clients I keep a pdf of their return as filed in my paperless filing system for later use if needed. This way i don't even have to open the tax prep software if a copy is needed by the client. which happens a lot (FAFSA, refinancing, etc.)

Surely everyone of us is doing that by now? If not, you are missing a great option.

Taxed: It's doubtful there will be a lot of touch functions in the tax prep software at this time. But the touch function can be great for moving from one open app to another (swipe). And there may be some touch functions available in the tax apps. But QB and Peachtree, you can use some touch functions. Office 2013 has a setting to make the menu buttons larger and more convenient for touch. Website links are handy, just spread finger and thumb to make the links bigger, touch and go. The tiles are handier for touch. It's takes some getting used to and you can find more conveniences as you go.

I bought a 2nd monitor with my laptop. But it was not touch. Now, I'm reaching with my hand toward the 2nd monitor only to have to return to the mouse. I will stay with my W7 system at office this tax season. I have 3 monitors, two for me, 3rd one mirrors my left monitor and is for the client to view. It's handy. When I do upgrade to W8, I want my 2 monitors to be touch and I'm hoping I can drag one thing from left to right monitor with my finger instead of using mouse.

I track some financial info in an Excel spreadsheet. To update, I go to WSJ site, open my spreadsheet, swipe from WSJ to Excel, enter, swipe back, get the next info, swipe, enter, and repeat. It beats the mouse thing by far. Just an example of my usage. Touch also comes in handy with pdf, MS Explorer folders, moving around the OS. I'm still learning ways to use. My hang-up is NOT having the W8 touch functionality on my office desktop so I can use it both at home and office. Also have a windows phone so I'm familiar with the same os.

Taxed: It's doubtful there will be a lot of touch functions in the tax prep software at this time. But the touch function can be great for moving from one open app to another (swipe). And there may be some touch functions available in the tax apps. But QB and Peachtree, you can use some touch functions. Office 2013 has a setting to make the menu buttons larger and more convenient for touch. Website links are handy, just spread finger and thumb to make the links bigger, touch and go. The tiles are handier for touch. It's takes some getting used to and you can find more conveniences as you go.

I bought a 2nd monitor with my laptop. But it was not touch. Now, I'm reaching with my hand toward the 2nd monitor only to have to return to the mouse. I will stay with my W7 system at office this tax season. I have 3 monitors, two for me, 3rd one mirrors my left monitor and is for the client to view. It's handy. When I do upgrade to W8, I want my 2 monitors to be touch and I'm hoping I can drag one thing from left to right monitor with my finger instead of using mouse.

I track some financial info in an Excel spreadsheet. To update, I go to WSJ site, open my spreadsheet, swipe from WSJ to Excel, enter, swipe back, get the next info, swipe, enter, and repeat. It beats the mouse thing by far. Just an example of my usage. Touch also comes in handy with pdf, MS Explorer folders, moving around the OS. I'm still learning ways to use. My hang-up is NOT having the W8 touch functionality on my office desktop so I can use it both at home and office. Also have a windows phone so I'm familiar with the same os.

I don't see how a touch screen can be feasible on a desktop computer. My monitor sits on the back of my desk which is where I suppose most people place their monitors. To reach across my desk to touch the screen would be awkward for me.

• Like 1

Anything that takes my hands off the keyboard, especially taking my right hand off the number pad, does NOT speed me up. I too wish I could master more keyboard shortcuts and not touch the mouse. At a seminar, the preparer next to me used the mouse with his LEFT hand so he could keep his right hand on the number pad. He's right handed, but practiced with the mouse on his left during the off-season. Keep meaning to try that.

• Like 4

I'm right handed and I used to do that. It's not really that hard to learn to use your left hand for the mouse. The only problem I remember was that when others used my computer, it was difficult for them. As I remember, when the I.T. guy would remote in on the computer, it was a slight problem for him. I really don't remember why I quit. I may go back to doing that.