ATX Community

multiple returns at once

jshtax

I get confused working with one return, so I never open a second return. I also get confuse when I open a second year on a second screen. I have worked for some time on a return and then I realized I am on the previous year. I know that I could use different color for each year.

I send my clients a coupon for $10 in December to let them know that I am in business and one of the requirements for the discount is to bring the previous years taxes. I like that because when they are missing a form, I show them the previous year and I say "where is this form this year?".

Yes, and yes.

Every once in a while I can get 2 returns to open but mostly I get the systems resource box pop up. Now on 3 returns it never opens. I check the memory and its pushing 1.3 million so I close the popup box and memory drops back to 7-800,000. Am I using way more memory than I am supposed to be using?

I get confused working with one return, so I never open a second return. I also get confuse when I open a second year on a second screen. I have worked for some time on a return and then I realized I am on the previous year. I know that I could use different color for each year.

I send my clients a coupon for $10 in December to let them know that I am in business and one of the requirements for the discount is to bring the previous years taxes. I like that because when they are missing a form, I show them the previous year and I say "where is this form this year?".

Change the color of the input fields in the preferences of 2012 so it is visibly different than 2013. Someone on here recommended that, and it is an instant visual cue.

I could do it last year; I don't know why it won't work this year.

Not enough memory?

It is a memory issue and it could be with any program on the computer. Start the computer without any programs on the startup and then open ONLY ATX and see that you will be able to open more than one return, provided you have at least 4G of RAM.

Too many junk programs running in the background as well. It is a memory/system resources problem with Windows.

I have a top of the line system and am unable to get more than one return at a time. Always greeted with the system resources pop-up. Frustrated as I could really use this feature. Last year, I would go over to the server at least to open a return if someone called, but with the new install process, can't do that this year.

I really hope they finally support 64-bit next year....

I color code the years.

However, I try NOT to have a prior year return that is completed open at the same time as I'm working on current year, just so I don't accidentally change something in the prior year that was already filed. If at all possible, I use the .pdf of that prior year so I don't trash the actual return in my stressed, sleep-deprived state. Sometimes, I really need to see where I entered something last year, so then open the prior year return -- but close it as soon as possible and replace with the .pdf instead. I always display the prior year to the left of the current, chronologically, to help me keep my place.

I might need a trust/partnership/s-corp and a 1040 open or the children and parents all for the current year. In that case, they have different names and sometimes different entities, so those types of things are less prone to entering in the wrong return.

I tell my clients NOT to bring last year's taxes. But, I really need to scan everything so I can point to a 1099R or 1098 HELOC, for instance from last year. I'm scanning a lot but not everything yet. Hoped to get to that point this season.

I have a top of the line system and am unable to get more than one return at a time. Always greeted with the system resources pop-up. Frustrated as I could really use this feature. Last year, I would go over to the server at least to open a return if someone called, but with the new install process, can't do that this year.

I really hope they finally support 64-bit next year....

I think it will cost them too much to do but would help almost all problems.