ATX Community

The Perfect Client (Rant)

Terry D EA

Here is my rant....

Went to bed late Friday night for a church social event, then up early to drive two hours to an 8 am start at a Rotary event.

So, I am losing a Saturday for tax season, already.

Had a client, who's daughter and daughters boyfriend (DBF) got involved in this business of checking on the foreclosure houses of a very large bank. Lots of driving around, but good money, I was told. So, since their house is on the way back, I stop in to collect the my clients tax stuff and talk to this young couple about incorporating and minimizing taxes and how to do it right.

First thing out of DBF's mouth is how he wants to DEDUCT EVERYTHING, all the mileage, all the phones, the GPS, the camera, entertainment, etc....

ME: "Ok, well, how much money did you make" As I look at the pile of info for daughter (1 W-2, a 1099 and 1098T) and DBF (1 W2, 1098T and a HUGE unemployment 1099-G $15k+) but no 1099 from this company to "him".

Him: Oh, whatever is there, but we drove SO much, and the guy said that I could deduct..."

ME: "Wait, all this for $5,200? How much do you get paid to do this?

Him: Finally after much hemming and hawing, he finally admits that they get paid $4.25 a house to check on them once a month or every other month.... and he did NOT get a 1099 for anything, just the daughter got the1099...

ME: "How many miles did you drive?"

Him: 15,000 miles.

ME: "So, you spent $7,500+ to make $5,200?" "You want tax deductions? Your accounting fee is $10,000 so just write me a check, and I will worry about the taxes..."

Him: Silence.

Me... I shouldn't meet with idiots when I am tired.

Rich

• Like 5

Hugs to all tax preparers! It's March already. I need chocolate...

My husband works for a chocolate company. My mother-in-law also works in the candy kitchen for the same company. We NEVER run out of high quality chocolate in our office!!! :P

• Like 4

Terry,

I certainly wouldn't bang my head against the wall on this no brainer. Plain and simple....NO, NO, NO. There's no

possible way you can put off your good clients for one who is perpetually slow and seems to only think about having his return prepared when he's pushed up against the wall. Your client certainly has payroll records the auditor can view

plus the fact that an auditor usually tells the client he is to audit to have those payroll records ready in addition to his check register for the policy year so he/she can see if any "sub contract" labor exists without Certificates of

Insurance. Trust me, it is not necessary for an auditor to have a completed income tax return as normally the policy

year doesn't run from January through December as does the tax year for most.

As long as you pacify your client and abide by their absurd requests this time of year, the longer they will keep on

doing it to you.

Take care,

Cathy

• Like 2

Last night after taking a break, I came up to the office and put the iPod on shuffle. Shuffle must have known what I needed because all that came up was killer rock: Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Mott the Hoople, etc. with a bit of zydeco & world music thrown in for good measure. Got me singing & dancing along into the wee hours of the morning, and got most of that icky payroll tax mess sorted, plus two RDP couples' returns done.

A good night after an awful day. And one of the couples I finished up, just came in & signed. even though they were a half hour early and I was still in my pjs. They didn't mind. Now off to deposit those checks & get dog food, and duck some raindrops.

And I still have chocolate from my last run for groceries; a box of dark chocolate truffles that isn't even open yet! Whoo hooo!

• Like 4

Well thanks to all for your kind words of encouragement. I have worked steadily on this return for these folks and have just finished it. I did assess an additional fee for expedited service. I will mail the return once I receive payment or the client can come get it with check in hand. I did advise him that if he wanted to pay with a credit card there would be an addtional charge of $30.00 to cover the cost of this transaction. So, we will see how it goes. Thanks again and Judy I am totally lost as to where to go to get the emoticons working in fire fox. The box "Enable Emoticons" is checked but I dont' see them. Maybe I need to update fire fox.

I did advise him that if he wanted to pay with a credit card there would be an addtional charge of $30.00 to cover the cost of this transaction. So, we will see how it goes.

Unless something has changed, it is illegal a violation of the credit card agreement to charge more for a credit card transaction. Instead, raise the price by $30 and offer a $30 discount for cash/check.

• Like 2

It probably greatly depends on what you call it. What is the difference between lets say, 1000 charge and 1050.00 charge? If the transaction costs that much to the card holder then so be it. I agree to put on your invoice an additional charge for credit card processing would be illegal but to have a verbal agreement to an additional charge is another. Maybe I am completely missing it here.

This was interesting.

Whether or not it is illegal depends upon which state you live in. According to a source I checked, this is the list of states which make it illegal (I don't know how current this is):

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Florida

Kansas

Maine

Massachusetts

New York

Oklahoma

Texas

Otherwise, it's just a violation of the agreement with the credit card company. Not illegal but possibly making one subject to cancellation of the agreement. This probably would never be an issue with low-volume transactions.

In the spirit of ranting, yesterday I had a guy finally pick up his 2012 return which has been laying here since December. He mentioned three times that he almost had 2013 ready to bring me. I didn't give him a button.

On the way out, he informed me that Junior needs to fill out FAFSA, so he'll bring 2013 next week. I told him Junior will be guessing on FAFSA and correcting it later. And have a nice weekend.

I just love the FAFSA people. Got an 1120S & 1040 on 2/24 stating that they need the numbers for the FAFSA by 2/28. Hahahahaha!

• Like 1