ATX Community

The Perfect Client (Rant)

Terry D EA

An S-Corp client who cannot, for some reason, get their information to me in a timely manner. 2012 return extended and they blew beyond the extension due date and just e-mailed me a spreadsheet for the 2012 TY. It came with the statement that we don't intend to rush you or nothing but NC Workman's Comp has some new law and they need a copy of the return in a week. Are you kidding me!!! Almost a complete year late and you really want it in a week? I don't know how they have escaped the failure to file penalties each year but this is the fourth year they have done this. Each year I warn them. Just once I wish they would get penalized and I bet they get it to me on time. BTW- e-mail also said they would have 2013 to me by march 15th. I am holding my breath. Okay rant over. I wonder if it is proper to charge them an additional fee for expediting the return. Hmmm

• Like 3

I'll bet if you talk with the W/C Auditor you'll get a different story. They may need prior year gross receipts because the policy also covers General Liability. In most cases, they can accept a statement of the amount which will appear on the return. Or they may need a copy of a prior-year return to verify that it's an S-Corp, or to verify that the owner-officers who are claiming exclusion are really who they say they are. In these cases, they will usually accept a return from a couple of years back.

Clients don't usually know or care about those distinctions, so they make requests that are unreasonable. This is one reason I always insist on speaking with the auditor myself.

• Like 1

In the spirit of ranting, yesterday I had a guy finally pick up his 2012 return which has been laying here since December. He mentioned three times that he almost had 2013 ready to bring me. I didn't give him a button.

On the way out, he informed me that Junior needs to fill out FAFSA, so he'll bring 2013 next week. I told him Junior will be guessing on FAFSA and correcting it later. And have a nice weekend.

• Like 5

I agree completely with the extra charge. We tell people we work in FIFO order, so if you want to cut in line there is a fee for that.

Question for the community: Do you just show them the final number on the invoice, or show them the normal fee and clearly identify the rush charge fee?

My rush fee varies depending upon how much the next return(s) I would normally be doing would bring in. If I bump down on the list a $600 return, the rush fee is $150. Minimum rush fee is $25 and the usual rush fee is $50.

Clearly delineated on the invoice.

Makes a few change their minds about how quick they need their return...

• Like 1

I always charge a rush fee if I move a return up in my queue. And, I show it on the invoice. Minimum $50, more usual $100, and have gone higher, up to 1/2 the regular fee. I have to take into account the clients that now will be later and how much they'll notice and what that might cost me in lost business or unhappy campers or discounts I might have to give out to calm an anxious client.

Oh I show both fees

Had a client last year who got me his 2012 1099-MISC vendor numbers in *November* -- almost a year after they were due to be sent out! I charged him triple my usual price, and put it on my bill as "1099-MISC preparation for calendar 2012, $100; additional fee for 1099-MISC preparation out of season, $200" except the numbers were higher than that. Am hoping that for 2013 he gets me the info by -oh, I dunno -- May? ^_^ At that point, I'll just charge him double. Maybe still triple, depending on how annoying he gets or if I start seeing him as a "walking annuity" instead of a client.

• Like 1

Had a client last year who got me his 2012 1099-MISC vendor numbers in *November* -- almost a year after they were due to be sent out! I charged him triple my usual price, and put it on my bill as "1099-MISC preparation for calendar 2012, $100; additional fee for 1099-MISC preparation out of season, $200" except the numbers were higher than that. Am hoping that for 2013 he gets me the info by -oh, I dunno -- May? ^_^ At that point, I'll just charge him double. Maybe still triple, depending on how annoying he gets or if I start seeing him as a "walking annuity" instead of a client.

We had tenants in our rental house that were 10 out of 12 months 10-12 days late. Came time to renew their lease, we did not increase the rent, but we tripled the late fees. No problem increasing the rent, because 10 out of the next 12 months, they were 10-12 days late as well. Third year we were going to raise the late fee by 50% again, but they chose not to renew.

Walking annuity!! With the increased late fees they were paying much higher rent by their own choice of actions.

• Like 1

<snip>

Walking annuity!! With the increased late fees they were paying much higher rent by their own choice of actions.

Went to a continuing ed class a couple years ago - guy specialized in OIC and bankruptcy cases. He said the same folks would come back every few years, in trouble again. One of the folks at the class wanted to know how he could stand to deal with the same problems from the same people time and again - didn't it drive him crazy after a while? He told us that the secret was not to see them as "perpetual problem clients" but rather as "walking annuities" and if nothing else stuck from that class, that phrase did!

Attitude -- it's all in the attitude. (Or, at least, lots of it is in the attitude.)

• Like 2

Well you all have confirmed my thoughts on the expedited fee. I will indeed make it high enough that hopefully they think the next time. As far as the WC auditor, it really isn't my responsibility to get him what we wants and I don't have time as well. This client thinks he is reporting a loss again this year because his bookkeeper ( I use that term loosely) deducted a 68000.00 loan as an expense and didn't include the balance as a liability. He/she needs to go back to school or give it up totally. BTW- payroll was wrong as well. I backed into it and got the same numbers as the reports from ADP. Where's the head banging guy when you need it. :wall:

• Like 1

Even when you click on the box for More Reply Options there's no emoticons? I'm using FF right now and I can see them all.

Do you have the other formatting options available or are they all greyed out? If they are greyed out, click the first icon on the left in the top row that says BBCodeMode to shut that off and the other functions will come back.

I can't see 'em on my iPad either. I'm learning to type a lot of them because I've been using Messenger a lot and they don't work on my desktop in there, but do on my iPad. figures.

I'm so glad all you guys are here. I had a wee meltdown today, and I come in here and don't have to explain anything.....just have to say meltdown...

:(

• Like 4

I can't see 'em on my iPad either. I'm learning to type a lot of them because I've been using Messenger a lot and they don't work on my desktop in there, but do on my iPad. figures.

I'm so glad all you guys are here. I had a wee meltdown today, and I come in here and don't have to explain anything.....just have to say meltdown...

:(

Hugs to help recover from meltdown!! We DEFINITELY understand and feel your pain!!