ATX Community

Stupid Mistakes ... Ugh

Crank

Nothing takes the wind out of my sails more than when I make a stupid mistake. For example a client moved to a new city during the year and I transposed two digits on their zip-code. Client caught it before the returns were filed so it wasn't a big deal but it still leaves me with that embarrassed, incompetent feeling. I'm surprised ATX didn't catch that the zip didn't match the city/state.

• Like 4

Hang in there; we all do it.

Couple of years ago clients moved and told me the town. Left out the "north" in the town name -- at least, it wasn't in my notes -- but it was on one or two of the tax docs (most still had the old address).

No one noticed until after the return had been filed -- and the refund check was sent to a non-existent street one town over. Took a while to get it right but eventually it all got sorted out. (Fortunately, it was a refund for less than $50 so it wasn't like the mortgage depended on it!)

Now we laugh about it but boy did I feel like an incompetent fool at the time.

• Like 3

I made a large transposition in entering a W2 this year. Printed the return, caught it on review, and corrected it (made almost a $20,000 difference in tax due). Somehow, staff shredded the new, correct copy and put together the incorrect copy for the client. Luckily, I had emailed the client to give a 'heads up' about the large tax bill. Client noticed that the return did not reflect the large amount due and called me. I was so embarrassed. What really scared me is that if I hadn't emailed the client, I might have efiled a return that was not the same as what the client thought he had signed off on. Note to self: Double check amount due/refund on signed 8879 before clicking 'send'. Easy to do at the beginning of the season, but a lot more difficult now.

• Like 4

I get CO instead of CT more times than I want to admit. Almost positive I catch them all. To really make it interesting, I DO have a couple of CO clients along with my mostly CT clients. Last week emailed the IRS and state acknowledgements to a CO client using the text, "And, your CT acceptance on 2 April 2014." Noticed it later when reviewing those I'd acknowledge to clients and sent her a new one with a large, bold red CO, about the color of my face!

Still chasing the $1,200 in CT withholding I left off a return -- and more importantly, making sure her direct debit is really stopped as my error swings her from owing over $400 to a refund of over $700 which will now be on one of CT's hated debit cards.

• Like 1

I "like" all the posts. You are all making me feel better. Yes, we all make stupid mistakes because we are human and are overworked. My former boss said if we never make a mistake, we aren't working fast enough. Make too many, we are working too fast. Like the 3 little bears, find the consistent speed that is right for you.

I don't know of my mistakes yet. Something will surely make itself known in the next month or so.

• Like 3

I know someone who entered of his three grandson's social security number incorrectly on a family members' tax return last year. Their refund was delayed until a phone call straightened it out. He had to offer to advance them the money until the refund arrived, but they assured him that wasn't necessary.

He had an excuse - he had changed from ATX to Drake and re-entered all his clients' info rather than do a conversion. It was one of 3 mistakes he made last season during the re-entry process. Said tax preparer will remain nameless - nobody knows other than my daughter and son-in-law.

• Like 6

I did my cousins return a few years ago and put down her maiden name as the last name. I don't think her husband appreciated much. Didn't do their return again.....................

Is that how you get rid of the in-laws tax returns. Note to self, remember this one.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 5

just send a bill- they will run

I started giving all my "complimentary" tax return family clients a bill with my full prices on it and a discount to $0 in VERY LARGE FONT, just for information purposes.

This year my nephew, a 1099MISC truck driver local routes only, stated to me - "All the other guys take Per Diem if they are out more than 6 hours."

My response - "Come get your information and let your truck driving buddies do your tax return. I will have them ready in 15 minutes."

Two weeks later he calls and asks in a quiet apologetic voice if I would file his return like I said it should be. His bill showed 50% larger than normal fees before the family discount.

• Like 3

I got an email from a client that asked for a new copy of her 2010 amended return since her cat spilled juice on it before she got it mailed. There were 2 amended files in the program, one for federal, one for state. I asked my assistant to prepare & put a new copy up in the portal. So I get a call from the client asking why the new copy had a different refund from the new one. Sure enough, the wrong one was up there.

And this client I had mistakenly double-booked their pick up time. And they had very nicely brought a 4-pack of RockStars as a gift at the time.

Another one yesterday, I hadn't checked on the invoice the method of billing. So I handed them a bill that said zero fee. That's an error I don't often make!

• Like 1