ATX Community

The Sprint to the Finish-- Predict Your Wrap Up Time

JJStephens

Weigh in with your prediction of when you'll turn off the light and close the door on another year of mayhem and return to the world of the living.

Grand prize to the one whose prediction is closest: 365 days of bragging rights and the unfeigned awe of all your colleagues!

I"m going with a wildly optimistic prediction that I'll tansmit my last extension (probably my own!) at 7:52 PM

The only thing I'm certain of right now is that I should not have gotten up with my granddaughter to try to see the eclipse this morning (had to watch a live feed on line because it was completely overcast here). Actually, I never got to sleep before hand--was up until about 3:15. Ughh!!! I just hope I last until 7:52pm!

• Like 2

The fat lady is clearing her throat.

I'm going in to work because ten people have not picked up, and I have payroll tax returns and sales tax returns to do. And because I always go to work. Betcha someone new will come in, too, because there's always somebody who heard on the news that it's Tax Day. It's a good thing they announce that on the news...

• Like 6

My prediction: 8:55AM today. Last client dropped off their 8878 through the mail slot last night. I need to check my email for the "yes use the bank info from last year" note, enter the signature date, and push "go!" It's only not yet done because I am hanging here at the online water cooler instead of opening my email.

• Like 1

Well, I missed it by 2 minutes because I I had my mouse hand on a stack of papers, it went numb, and I stopped to shake it out. Ah, well.

So now I can move on to my non-tax payroll clients, depositing the checks folks have paid me over the last week, paying the golks that pruned my trees two weeks ago, and the like.

I *will* be here over the "off" season - see you all 'round and good luck finishing up!

4/15 at 8:30 PM Pacific time.

Client called Sunday night and asked for an appointment on Tuesday. Coming in at 6:30PM. It is a long time client and the return is not that difficult. Should be sent by 7:30 and hopefully an ack by 8:30.

But the e-file system is running slow the last couple of days. Not sure if it is ATX or IRS. My bet is the ATX servers are overloaded again. Just like last year, and the year before, and the year before....

Tom

Hollister, CA

No way I could possibly predict when this chaos will end. Had two of my own clients call last night. Am just trying to decide who gets top priority today and will be in this chair for several days to come. Big snowstorm predicted for Wed through Fri. Just perfect to match the way I feel right now.

• Like 1

Had a simple one to do at 10 this morning. Three pickups at 10:30 a.m., 11:00 a.m. & 1 p.m. Got my own extension filed in between and all my filing done. One more to pickup at 3:30 this afternoon, a quick run to the post office and the bank and I will be done. Then it's on to a nightmare of an estate tax audit that I convinced the auditor to extend the due date on to April 30th, and payroll tax returns, and non-profit returns, and extensions......

Thanks to all of you for providing many much needed breaks over the season. I always hang out here while I'm waiting for returns to open, close, transmit, etc. Your advice and support is invaluable!

Gina

I've been mulling firing my all-time worst client--this guy is the very last one in every stinkin' year--and never pays a dime.

Me.

Ive already decided to fire a long time pain in the ass neighbor. Dropped off on the 11th said an extension was out of the question so I did the return and now he wants an extension, I think because he hit the AMT this year and doesn't trust my numbers. The highest earners are always the biggest pain in the ass. Its compounded by the fact that he is an engineer and the majority I have encountered believe that because they work with numbers that they know better than their preparer on their taxes. :wall:

• Like 2

The fat lady is clearing her throat.

I'm going in to work because ten people have not picked up, and I have payroll tax returns and sales tax returns to do. And because I always go to work. Betcha someone new will come in, too, because there's always somebody who heard on the news that it's Tax Day. It's a good thing they announce that on the news...

Don't you sometimes wonder how those people survive?

• Like 1

Just finished up my tax return. I'm closing 3 hours early today at 4:00 p.m. CST I have one client who procrastinated on getting her information over to me. She's the only extension I have. This is my first year with ATX and I'm very happy with the service. I have a stand alone system and it's been flawless. I've been able to knock out my clients returns the same day I receive the information. Now I go back to my M-F 9-5 schedule starting on Monday. I can't wait.

• Like 2

Ive already decided to fire a long time pain in the ass neighbor. Dropped off on the 11th said an extension was out of the question so I did the return and now he wants an extension, I think because he hit the AMT this year and doesn't trust my numbers. The highest earners are always the biggest pain in the ass. Its compounded by the fact that he is an engineer and the majority I have encountered believe that because they work with numbers that they know better than their preparer on their taxes. :wall:

Any client who would tell me an extension is out of the question would then hear me say that my preparing the return is then out of the question. I came very close to having one of those conversations a couple of weeks ago, but they backed off before it went quite that far.

I'll say it again - you can let your clients run your business or you can run your business. If you let them do it, some of them will run all over you.

• Like 1

All but 2 are transmitted / extended / completed.

One needs signature & the other needs bank's direct debit info. Not much work for me, but I don't know when I'll get them.

Now, off to a good dinner. Maybe I'll have some e-mail when I get home.