ATX Community

State Returns - Hold or Release?

gfizer

I have never held state returns and have never had any trouble . . . until this year. In the past week I've had four state rejects because the fed e-file list wasn't timely updated. I simply recreated the state e-file and it was promptly accepted. All the rest were accepted as filed.

Nonetheless, I'm curious if I'm doing something wrong. Like I said, over the years, I've probably e-filed 1500+ this way with nary a problem. What's the rationale for holding?

I just finished the last return that had to be filed tonight. At the same time, I released all of the state returns. Onward to the extensions tomorrow, but the pace will be much slower other than for all of the pickups that are still here. Good night, all and have a Blessed and Happy Easter.

• Like 2

Anyone besides me have state returns waiting on acceptance? Got 3 been hanging out there waiting on acceptance for over 24 hours which is very

odd for Ohio.

Updated 4-16-2014 at 9:30am

Efiles sent by the midnight deadline April 15th were sent timely to the agencies.
Please be patient as the agencies struggle to deliver acks for this enormous last day volume.
Two-thirds of the federal acks for returns sent April 15th have been received and delivered to the EROs.
The remaining one-third of our federal acks will be delivered throughout the day today and possibly even tomorrow. IRS is still well within their published ack processing times; we continue to access their site every few minutes to pull down available acks.
State acks will also be delayed, possibly even until Friday or Monday.
Also be aware that you could see acks processed out of order and this is to be expected. You could see state acks before federal acks. You could see acks for returns sent later in the day before you receive acks for returns sent earlier in the day.

NOTE: Use the Efile Status tool on the Solution Center to view real-time status.

For the clients who came to pick up on 4/15, I had to send the federal and release the hold on the state and transmit prior to the federal acceptance. Those state efiles were rejected because it appears the NY process checks for some sort of federal information and since that was not there - reject. So I had to recreate and resend the state on 4/16. Had to do it this way to ensure 4/15 was met, but it would seem if the state depends on the federal there should be a 24 hour grace period on the state so things can process normally.

Here is the latest from ATX...

Updated 4-17-14 at 8:30am

Acks are still coming in slowly; at last check, we had approximately 40,000 outstanding IRS acks.

IRS is still within their published 48 hour ack processing times; we continue to access their site every few minutes to pull down available acks.

State acks will also be delayed, possibly even until Friday or Monday.

Also be aware that you could see acks processed out of order and this is to be expected. You could see state acks before federal acks. You could see acks for returns sent later in the day BEFORE you receive acks for returns sent earlier in the day.
NOTE: Use the Efile Status tool on the Solution Center to view real-time status.

Updated 4-16-2014 at 7pm

Acks are still coming in slowly; at last check, we had approximately 150,000 outstanding IRS acks.

I transmit NY and CT and Federal at once. Never had a NY rejection. (Well, once when I forgot to check a box or something. Fixed and resent.) Never had a CT reject. Had one federal reject with a dependent with a couple of middle names. SSA had used one of the middle names as the last name, so fixed and resent. Both states were fine, though.