ATX Community

9/15 10/15 - Surprised at how quiet the board has been

michaelmars

I still have 6 for 9/15  and 40 for 10/15 in my side practice and 114 business and 234 individuals on the main practice.    3 other accounting firms in the building have been working weekends for 2 weeks now as have we.  I am so surprised how few tax issues are being posted. 

We will be receiving k-1's from other firms probably up to the 14th or 15th.  we have so many multi-tiered llc's with outside entities that its just impossible to get the stuff out the door.

• Like 1

I am still working on a bunch of returns. I research here and all over the Internet and CCH before I post to the board, because I don't want to bother anyone with questions unless I am really stumped or in a huge hurry. I spent hours last week checking out the NII tax and if they could come close to real estate professionals and if they did, would it be a smart move. I wish that I was younger so that I didn't have to look up so much stuff, because I can't remember all of these rules anymore. 

• Like 1

CRS syndrome      Cant' Remember Sh*t

funny!

general chat is quieter/less controversial because (right wing) politics is not in play anymore...good riddance.

perhaps, after the mud has settled, tax and program questions can re-emerge as main points of emphasis...i hope. 

I, personally, am winding down from a very odd summer.  No rain when we needed it; flood warnings now that we don't need it.  We had an impossibly short growing season.  We expect frost later this week.  I am busy rounding up supplies for the coming onslaught.  Looking for the best deals, etc.  Still have returns to do and people are calling with the oddest questions.  Money is now going out faster than it is coming in. :( Yikes!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm working on lots of returns.  But, my problems are the phone calls:  I need a copy of my return for my mortgage company today!  The IRS is going to have me arrested in an hour!  Are you done with my return yet?  I just have a quick question....  RIght now I don't have any questions, but I could use another tax preparer.  A couple of new clients (such as a trust and a couple in Singapore for two years) so will have queries, I'm sure.

• Like 2

Finished all my corporations a couple weeks ago; phew!  Need to send notes to a bunch of sluggards who will otherwise crawl out of the woodwork 10/12 frantic for me to finish their taxes by the 15th.  

I've actually been dithering over this - perhaps folks here have advice.  

Is it better to just keep my blinkin' mouf shut (under the heading that I am NOT their mommy and can't make them behave - plus in theory they are grown-ups for whom taxes are no surprise)?  Or to send a reminder email to the 15 or slow slowpokes telling them "everything in MY hands by 9/15 or no guarantee it will be done by 10/15"?  (I say 9/15 because of course they will forget something or hand over papers that don't include stock basis etc.)

Opinions?

• Like 3

It depends on how swamped I am (am I having computer problems, a respiratory virus, etc.) and how messy I think their returns will be (did they already tell me wife started a business, are they always basis-challenged) whether or not I contact them in any given year.  Did they finally give me 2011 and 2012 this summer?  Then, I'm not going to chase them for 2013 and rush to finish 2013 on time when they've been late the last couple of years anyway.  Are they new and waiting on K-1s and I want/need to show them how concerned I am over their timely filings?  I do a lot of handholding.  So, the ones that are nice to deal with will probably get a call/email from me trying to get their info by 15 September.  I have a couple of PITAs that I won't spend more time on.  If I get their documents after 15 September, I will tell them I do NOT guarantee and ask them if they want to take their business elsewhere.

Had someone who now has mother's POA and gave me her 2011 and 2012 stuff 14 April 2014 when I already had a stack of 2013 extensions that have a chance of being on time.  Mom's stuff had not risen to the top of my stack when son contacted me while we were at my husband's family reunion for five days in MA in August.  He wanted returns completed that week while we were away.  Mom is so nice, that I would've prepared her returns as soon as we were home.  His threat "If you are unable to finish them this week...I will have to move in a different direction." was the last straw.  I love his mother, but he's been a real pain since he first started hinting at taking over his mom's finances and moved her out of her house.  I wrote back, "I am in MA on family matters and hope to be back at work Monday 21 August. I understand you will move in a different direction this week. My best wishes to your mother and to you."  He's in CO and gave me almost nothing re his mother's taxes except a verbal total of capital improvements to her house that sold.  I uploaded everything to my portal, and he took it to his CO business CPA firm.  I'll continue to visit his mom and talk about Westport Country Playhouse, but I didn't want anything to do with him.  Two trusts and mom's personal return off my stack.  I really didn't charge her very much as she'd been with me for years and years, sent to me by my broker who sends me lots of clients.  So this is the time of year when I decide if they're worth my time!

• Like 2

I took the easy way out.  I just send out four extension notices, each on the 15 of the month  One in June, July, August and September reminding them I do  not have the information to prepare their tax return.  No notices after the 15 of September. Any  person after the 15 of September I make a judgment call on whether I think it will be done in time.  For me this is just mechanical.  I only had 24 on extension this year so it hasn't been a real problem.  I do have about 8 that have not yet responded and am currently working of 12 or 15. Hopefully, should not be a problem getting done.  A couple of those are from US citizens living abroad.  I have to finish one from China, Australia and Malaysia....I am not sure I like tax treaties.

Finished all my corporations a couple weeks ago; phew!  Need to send notes to a bunch of sluggards who will otherwise crawl out of the woodwork 10/12 frantic for me to finish their taxes by the 15th.  

I've actually been dithering over this - perhaps folks here have advice.  

Is it better to just keep my blinkin' mouf shut (under the heading that I am NOT their mommy and can't make them behave - plus in theory they are grown-ups for whom taxes are no surprise)?  Or to send a reminder email to the 15 or slow slowpokes telling them "everything in MY hands by 9/15 or no guarantee it will be done by 10/15"?  (I say 9/15 because of course they will forget something or hand over papers that don't include stock basis etc.)

Opinions?

From your posts and comments: You care about your clients and you are a professional. Therefore you only really have one choice that will make you happy -- do what a professional would do and notify them but also what a caring person would do AND "let them be responsible for themselves" beyond that point.

As far as "being mommy" --- at a certain point would that not also be what a caring/responsible person does for their kids? People who always treat their kids like a kid usually only hurt them in the long run ---- especially when 'mom/parent" is not around. Nothing wrong with being "mommy" and a professional/caring person in ANY circumstance.

Thank you for the opportunity to share personal beliefs,  Ed.

• Like 3

I've been out of town a lot; some vacations & one funeral. It was nice to see my cousins again, even if at a bad time. I've been getting down to the grind to get 'em out; one s-corp left to do & a bunch of individuals.

I've got my first client in Xero too, and did the certifying class this weekend so I can figure out what I'm doing in the program.

I have been reminding my tardy clients for a few weeks. I am taking my granddaughter to Orlando with my sister on 10/8 and not coming back until 10/14. We are going to Disney World and Universal. I hope that they have the kinks out of the new Diagonal Alley. Andrew will meet us as soon as he can grab a non-rev seat. It's always tough to get to Orlando, so I bought a ticket even though I'd really like to fly for free, since he probably won't work there much longer, because Delta doesn't offer any internships here and it's required for his degree. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy acquiring new customers in my area. I picked up a lot of small businesses doing their bookkeeping and payroll. I'm also trying to work out something with my neighborhood school as to where I would provide free tax preparation services for the working students. The teachers and faculty will receive a discount as well as the parents. It's just a win win for all involved.