ATX Community

CPE Requirements

Karen Lee

Karen, the CPE requirements depend on the person's credentials.  If an EA, then they must have 24 CPE hours per year, of which 2 must be in Ethics.  If they are also a member of NAEA then they are required to have 30 CPE hours (total).  I do not know what the requirements are for CPA's or attorneys.  Anyone without credentials has no CPE requirement, as far as I know.

Thanks Lynn.  Last year when I renewed my PTIN it asked if I have or will complete CPE by Dec 31.  Of course I am RTRP and all of that has been thrown out.  So there are no CPE requirements for PTIN renewal for non-credentialed preparers.  

Now my friend will renew for 2015 filing season and not need to complete any CPE.

Thanks Lynn.  Last year when I renewed my PTIN it asked if I have or will complete CPE by Dec 31.  Of course I am RTRP and all of that has been thrown out.  So there are no CPE requirements for PTIN renewal for non-credentialed preparers.  

Now my friend will renew for 2015 filing season and not need to complete any CPE.

I get CPE credits as a bonus to my studying and taking seminars to keep up to date and learn things I don't know. If a person is preparing taxes, (has a PTIN) they should always be working to keep up to date and learn new things. I grow weary of hearing... "I have to get XXX number of CPE credits." I guess I consider my professional ability and status more important than others. I get knowledge and training, AND earn CPE. Others find a way to get CPEs as cheaply and easily as they can.

For the record, I only hold the RTRP designation, and earned 40 CPE credits last year.

• Like 4

I also have the RTRP and still attend seminars, etc and gather CPE credits that are not essential to anyone but ME.  I take pride in my services and ability and since I work alone (except for the guys and gals on this board) I need all the learning I can get.  Have already paid my dues for a few and the costs are not going down.  :dunno:

• Like 2

as karen lee said, the rtrp requirement was thrown out...so i don't believe there is any "official" rtrp credential/status. personally, i wish the requirement would have held up.

at the time, i also jumped through the hoops and passed the rtrp.

over all it was a good experience for me.

i learned some new tax things and also learned i knew many tax things.   

• Like 1

Rev. Proc. 2014-42 describes a new, VOLUNTARY, program that if you take a 6 hour refresher course which includes a test of material with a minimum of 100 questions that you pass with a minimum score of 70%, with a total of 18 hours of CE that includes 2 hours ethics, 10 hours federal tax law and 6 hours of federal tax law updates you can receive a record of completion.  The test is not required if you are  an EA, CPA, attorney or have passed the RTRP exam or are licensed or registered by any state, etc. after passing an examination on federal tax matters. I don't know if you get a certificate suitable for framing (/s). 

• Like 2

The EA requirement is over a three-year cycle:  something like 72 hours over three years with no less than 16 per year and 2 ethics per year, don't remember if the 2 is included in the 16.  I don't pay a lot of attention to that as I belong to NAEA with their 30 per year requirement.  And, basically, I take the courses I want and need and don't worry about it as I'm always over.  This year I'll have around 40 with credits plus a seminar that gives credits only to CPAs but has topics I want for another 24 or so that I won't receive credit for as an EA and not CPA.

• Like 2

I try to continually take (and pass :blink: ) CE courses so I can serve my clients and myself to the best of my ability. One of my less costly providers is "Platinum Professional Services" and the links below go toward their explanations and materials. Give them a look and see if they fit -- if not, so be it (adage: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, etc.).

You will find material on the PTIN requirements and also the "new" program. NOTE: there are two (2) courses under "ASFP" - one for no certifications, one for an "RTRP" in place.

A "new" IRS --- offering ---- is the "ASFP" which is "Annual Filing Season Program" ----- here is a link explaining the program for both those with NO certifications and those with certifications (including "RTRP"): How do I become an IRS Annual Filing Season Program Qualified Tax Return Preparer? http://www.platinumprostudies.com/tax-preparer-courses/IRS-Annual-Filing-Season-Program-Guidelines .

Additional information for those with state (CA, OR, NY, etc.) or other requirements might be found here: http://www.platinumprostudies.com/tax-preparer-courses/how-to-become-an-irs-qualified-tax-return-preparer .

My understanding at this time is that today and for the 2014 taxes filed --- that even a "normal" tax preparer with a PTIN can talk with, discuss, etc. the tax return and preparation with the IRS. However that starting in 2015, a "tax preparer" cannot do those things unless they have completed the "ASFP" requirements.

Hope this helps clarify,  Ed.