ATX Community

TECHNOLOGY - PRINTERS - LASER OR NOT?

WITAXLADY

no - the laser printer was less and did only 21 ppm @ $399

hp officejet PRO X576dw does scan, fax, duplex and Reliable claimed 70 ppm but hp says only 42 ppm  - on sale for $599 (original $799)

Then they quoted me a laserjet of 60 ppm for $2100!!

thru eo Johnson we were trying out a 25 ppm with scan, fax, etc laser jet and it has problems all the time, very complicated and they want over $4,000 over 4 years... or up front. - Same price!

Hence we saw the X57 and I am ordering that to try.

The Brother $100 and $200 laser jets - the toner kills us, the Dell laserjets last only a year or so.

We run about 30 cases of paper duplex

have tried zip drives and CD;s for clients but most old fashioned for that so paper it is.

WITAXLADY,

Brother is my preferred way to go.  Please see the discussion on printers from this forum:    (sorry I do not know how to "point" to the discussion but here is the URL when I got to that page).

OfficeJet's are nice but I believe cost with inks, etc. can be a lot more than lazer (again, old info maybe; I have not done a price comparison (cost and years supplies, etc.) between the two for a couple of years, but laser did beat inkjets and officejets by a lot at the time).

Hope this helps.

D......I have always used HP laser printers and mine just go on forever.  I just bought an HP color laser printer with 14 ppm for $129.  Anything that is filed with the IRS is required to be laser printed.  I have never, ever used an ink jet because of the cost, etc.  If you go with EO Johnson, they will rape you with repair and maintenance fees.  Don't you have an IT man?  I have never had to do any maintenance on my printers other than what I do myself.  At the prices you are quoting, you could throw one away every year and still be money ahead.  I have been using the same printer (s) for MANY years.  I realize that you have a much higher scale of workload than I have, but my experience with EO Johnson at the dental office is horrific.  You can buy toner cartridges at Office Depot or online for much less than you can from them.  Give me a call if you get a chance. 

The bottom line to your question is that, yes, if you are going to paper file any returns you need a laser printer.  We used laser printers way back when I worked for Joan so your post really surprises me.

MFC-8680DN by Brother or it's newest version.  I have used mine for 4 tax seasons now.  New High Output toner carts are $89.  I refill them at least twice for $12 each time.  Refill gives me the same number of copies as the new cart.

Print, copy, scan & fax.  I paid $349.  Newest versions are about the same.

Here is the latest version.  The carts can be refilled the same as the ones I use.

http://www.staples.com/Brother-MFC-8710DW-Laser-Multifunction-Printer/product_728463

$313 + tax.

My oldest HP laser is a 1200, but that was not my first.  Have two other active in my office for tax prep, etc.  I bought the color printer just as a toy for myself to print photos, etc.  I purchased my first laser printer in 1997.  The cost of these much more efficient printers has dropped dramatically since then.  I am surprised that anyone with a business would even consider an ink jet.  I get my toner cartridges online.  Have never used a refilled cartridge since the first one blew up inside the printer.  I always buy the compatible clones which are extremely reasonable and have never had an issue.  Also, seem to get better mileage than with the OEM cartridges.  We all have to learn to agree to disagree; but we all seem to be on the same page when it comes to laser printers for tax prep.

I have used nothing but laser printers as well. I have a two drawer HP2015 that puts out 30PPM and toner from rapid refill costs approximately 118.00 per year. As others have stated, the IRS required everything printed on laser. Probably doesn't need to be said here but inkjet will bleed off the page if it gets wet for any reason. Inkjet is also easier to wash. I learned about check washing when I worked in one of my business client's office when some of their employee payroll checks had been stolen or given to someone who had the capability to do so, and the amounts paid were changed. Yep, never thought this could happen either but it did. So, for me it is all laser. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 3

I have always used HP laser printers and mine just go on forever. 

That's why I don't want good printers. I like to replace my printers every few years to stay current with speeds and technologies. This isn't as important as it once was but I rarely pay more than $200 for a printer, and usually closer to $100. You can get really good deals when they're changing models.

• Like 1

I use Brother laser duplex printers, saves on paper. Cost per page for a laser cartridge is less than ink cartridges and the laser cartridges give you more pages.

But I do have a HP Laser Jet 4 that is over 20 years old and still working; it weighs much more than the Brother printers - must be less plastic inside! Just runs slow.

• Like 2

I use Brother laser duplex printers, saves on paper. Cost per page for a laser cartridge is less than ink cartridges and the laser cartridges give you more pages.

But I do have a HP Laser Jet 4 that is over 20 years old and still working; it weighs much more than the Brother printers - must be less plastic inside! Just runs slow.

The Brother printers I referred to do duplex and even copy and scan  duplex.  In my book, best choice out there.

At my day job, I mainly use HP printers and they have worked well.  For my personal tax prep business, I have two Lexmark laser printers, an Optra S 1255, that is easily 15 years old and just keeps printing.  That unit has retired to the family printer.  My newer Lexmark laser is a T 650 and has treated me very well.  I also have a Lexmark CX410 multifunction that scans/copies for me.  Good luck with whatever you choose. 

Brother seems to be the company that takes the least drastic anti-refill measures.  Many manufacturers are chipping their cartridges so that they can't be refilled without replacement or reprogramming of the chip built into the cartridge.  They count copies and require replacement no matter how much toner is in the cartridge. Two years ago when I was shopping for a printer, that wasn't the case with Brother, and hopefully it still isn't. 

Brother seems to be the company that takes the least drastic anti-refill measures.  Many (most?) manufacturers are chipping their cartridges so that they can't be refilled without replacement or reprogramming of the chip built into the cartridge.  They count copies and require replacement no matter how much toner is in the cartridge. Two years ago when I was shopping for a printer, that wasn't the case with Brother, and hopefully it still isn't.

We just bought new ones for the firm.  Brother.  The ability to refill is still there.  No chips, but the printers have a counter.  Minor glitches when I can refill an $89 cartridge for $11 and get the same page count.  I always get 2 refills before the roller goes bad, some as many as 4 refills.  The new carts take a couple more small steps to refill, but the process is just the same.

We just bought new ones for the firm.  Brother.  The ability to refill is still there.  No chips, but the printers have a counter.  Minor glitches when I can refill an $89 cartridge for $11 and get the same page count.  I always get 2 refills before the roller goes bad, some as many as 4 refills.  The new carts take a couple more small steps to refill, but the process is just the same.

Ours has a counter as well, but the printer has feature to override it. There are a couple of steps to remember, but yes, well worth it for the cost savings.

HP have been work horses for me.  I still have my first 4L (3L?).  Too slow for printing tax returns, but hubby uses it.  My 2550n is still going strong, also a bit slow for tax returns but nice color.  I use a slightly newer P2055dn for returns:  fast, quiet, small footprint.  And, an old L7780 for copying, faxing, printing, color, duplexing, some scanning when I need the flatbed (have a Fujitsu for scanning).  The only repair I've ever needed was new rollers on the old 4L.

• Like 1

HP have been work horses for me.  I still have my first 4L (3L?).  Too slow for printing tax returns, but hubby uses it.  My 2550n is still going strong, also a bit slow for tax returns but nice color.  I use a slightly newer P2055dn for returns:  fast, quiet, small footprint.  And, an old L7780 for copying, faxing, printing, color, duplexing, some scanning when I need the flatbed (have a Fujitsu for scanning).  The only repair I've ever needed was new rollers on the old 4L.

I use a P2035 for returns.  Strictly black and white.  I see the model is still around for sale and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.  Also, still use my old 1200 and a much smaller P1066.  My first laser printer was a Lexmark that we had to make think it was a HP.  There were no drivers for Lexmark in those days.  Finally gave it away when I couldn't up the memory any further.  Otherwise no problem with that one either except that it was huge.