ATX Community

SSD Hard Drive ($$$ worth it)

ILLMAS

No yet, but my IT friend has educated me.  However, my computer is plenty fast enough for what I am doing at the moment and the prices on SSD drives is dropping more and more.  The first affordable ones had so little HD space that it was hardly worth the effort.   Maybe next year.

I spent around $1800 including software which I had already, but decided to upgrade to Office13 and downgrade from Win8 to Win7 Prof. 64-Bit

Dell XPS8700 $800.00

2XDell 23" LED monitors $260.00

Dell dual monitor stand $125.00

480GB Msata SSD $240.00

Office13 $220.00

Win7 $130.00

The dual monitor wasn't necessary, but what the heck now I can work twice as hard.

• Like 2

We finally gave every tax preparer two monitors this year, since we bought Dell XPS 8700 machines for everyone (because, well, CCH told us that Windows XP was out). The Dell PCs each came with a video card that has 3 ports, VGA, DVI and HDMI. Well, our existing Dell monitors all had VGA and DVI inputs. And I had spare DVI cables laying around.

My two year old computer was getting "windows arthritis". Installing an SSD as my main drive breathed new life into the computer. It was never this fast even when brand new.

All my staff have two monitors. Did that at least a year ago. I have three, cuz I'm the boss.

Looking at your profile pic...  Do you have any employees named Abby?

• Like 3

I am trying something different this year. I am running with two monitors. One I am using and then when the return is ready for review, and if my client is present, I turn on the monitor they can see. So far, everyone likes it. I usually work off of a laptop as I have a

few elderly clients that I go to and some that come to me that can't climb stairs.

I stayed up all night cleaning my office before a photo shoot for CCH's Partners magazine back in early 2011.  It has never looked like that before or after!  The NY photographer and his stylist made my office look great in the magazine, but weren't styling me.  They had me change clothes multiple times, so my hair was full of static electricity and my makeup was disappearing.  They moved things out of my office and into my office and had an amazing setup of lights and reflectors.

http://community.cchgroup.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/1061-102-1-1038/Dollars%20and%20Sense.pdf

The Dell monitors swivel, so I can turn one toward a client when needed.  I've swapped them around so I have a portrait on the right with government forms/return that can turn toward client, portrait in the middle with data entry, and landscape on the left with my email on the right half and on the left half email for two large clients, this and other message board, sometimes FaceBook, Twitter, news, etc.  When I receive client documents electronically or have scanned them, I display client documents on one of the halves of the landscape monitor.  All the monitors can swivel portrait to landscape and swivel around also.

• Like 1

Sometimes I have a prior year return open, usually the .pdf.  But, most of the time the prior year numbers/info on the current year data entry screen is sufficient.

Today my office is a huge mess.  My first firm appointment isn't until Monday 2 February, so I'll probably clean that weekend !!

• Like 1

Sometimes I have a prior year return open, usually the .pdf.  But, most of the time the prior year numbers/info on the current year data entry screen is sufficient.

Today my office is a huge mess.  My first firm appointment isn't until Monday 2 February, so I'll probably clean that weekend !!

I very well remember when those pictures were shown of your "immaculate" office.  You can't fool us!!!!

• Like 1

I do not have the physical room for even 2 with the current layout of my office.  This WILL be changed for tax year 2015.  I am totally jealous of your three monitors.  At the firm, I have two.  When I work at home, it feels like I am working with a huge handicap.

I have 3 but just ordered an arm to lift them off of the desk, they make arms for 3 monitors.

I have stuff in the guest room across the hall and stuff under my desk and under my other desk.  And, now with no clients around I have about a dozen stacks on my desk, four stacks stuffed in the bookshelves on top of the neatly aligned folders, another half dozen stacks on my other desk, and another half dozen crates, shopping bags, etc. on the floor!  And, don't even get me started on my own tax returns/documents for the last half dozen years in a huge stack totally unassembled in the closet, almost reaching to the pole.  I will clean before clients arrive in February.  Except for the closet and guest room.

My office looked like the pictures for about 12 hours!

• Like 2

I have stuff in the guest room across the hall and stuff under my desk and under my other desk.  And, now with no clients around I have about a dozen stacks on my desk, four stacks stuffed in the bookshelves on top of the neatly aligned folders, another half dozen stacks on my other desk, and another half dozen crates, shopping bags, etc. on the floor!  And, don't even get me started on my own tax returns/documents for the last half dozen years in a huge stack totally unassembled in the closet, almost reaching to the pole.  I will clean before clients arrive in February.  Except for the closet and guest room.

My office looked like the pictures for about 12 hours!

I am not buying it.  Show us proof that you are a real tax professional!  Snap a picture dated today with stacks of files everywhere and then I will believe you.

Tom

Newark, CA