ATX Community

SSD Hard Drive ($$$ worth it)

ILLMAS

Back to the OP.  I am thinking about SSD drives as well.  My question is:

Do I upgrade my 2 year old HP laptop and 3 year old HP desktop that are working fine (but could be faster), or do I go out and buy new with SSD in them?

Any opinions out there?

Tom

Newark, CA

Edited by BulldogTom

OK, so I've already forgotten how to post a picture!  Please refresh my memory, and I'll show you my office is as messy as my mind...

Hit reply.

Then hit "more reply options" 

then attach a file using the "attach files" utility

Can you guess I want to see the photo, too?

Edited by Catherine
  • Like 2

Buy new.  Trust me.

New is good.   Different type question on SSD.    I am going to put in my own "cloud" (read Western Digital NAS EX-2 which can come - drives empty (open) or at various TB storage whereas I just plug into my modem/router and I can access from anywhere. I will use RAID 0 and have about 4 TB storage (2 useable with 2 as RAID backup so to speak) This system can come with what are called "WD red drives" (basically drives designed to be run 24/7, etc.). These drives are at either 5400 or 7200 and are as we call them "spin" drives.      FINALLY my question, what are your thoughts on going to SSD's rather than the "spin" drives.  When accessing directly from computer (desktop or laptop) the SSD should/will enhance drive life, speed, etc. but do you think the extra cost and such is warranted for the "cloud" type I envision using.

NOTE:   I do not like "cloud" per say because you do not really control access if something happens --- HOWEVER --- if you have the cloud onsite or a site you control and under your control, then it may still be called "cloud" but a "cloud" I like.

Oh!  UM!  It's time for that poinsettia to go!  Otherwise, that is the way a good working office is supposed to look.  I would have felt right at home there until I added an addition.  Now, I just have that much more clutter.  :scratch_head:  But, where is all the dust that I have?

Edited by mcb39
  • Like 1

Lion, it looks like you are doing work there while still being orderly. Many years ago when I worked for a firm, I kept everything cleaned up and put away in my file cabinet all the time except for the thing I was working on, and more than a few times I was asked if I really did much work or was busy because it was too neat and tidy!   That habit came early in my career because I once called a client's wife for additional documents, a doctor's wife, that accused me of losing some of their office's pension plan statements.  Later she admitted that she found them at her home and brought them in, but she never apologized to our office or for blaming me, and she knew her accusation almost cost me my job.

• Like 1

The dust is really bad.  I keep a Swiffer duster under my desk, but don't use it as often as I used to.  The blinds are especially bad, so I try not to have clients in during daylight hours!  I can't remember when I vacuumed.  Forgot I overflowed into the family room too, especially hubby's cubby.  He couldn't reach his own files, so moved my things out.  Cleaning lady coming tomorrow morning.  She doesn't clean my office, but does vacuum the family room.  So, have to figure out where to put those boxes.  I was doing OK with each stack denoting a client, but a bunch of stacks went into various crates and boxes when I did have clients in.  Now I need to sort those boxes back into stacks and hope they're still chronological via due dates/promised dates/etc.

post-87-0-17906500-1421901945_thumb.jpgpost-87-0-60316200-1421901956_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I must say that my new office is staying visually tidier.  With the MA privacy regs, I am supposed to have EVERY piece of client paper locked away if I step away from my desk for ANY reason.  Yes, that means if I wander to get a drink of water (or get rid of an earlier drink of water).  Never got too cranked up about it at the home office - after all, if the doors are locked and I'm the only one in the building, all those papers ARE locked up at all times...  But at the new office I have to be far more careful.  What that means is that all my stacks are in locked drawers, and I am trying to get everything scanned and paper OUT so I don't have to buy more file drawers!

Lion -- I think the last time I vacuumed was after we took the Christmas tree down.  It hurts my back and makes me sneeze for hours; I'd rather Swiffer and toss (that only makes my hands itch, and that only til they get washed up).  Cleaning lady... now that sounds nice.  Maybe after 4/15 I will investigate.

Do I upgrade my 2 year old HP laptop and 3 year old HP desktop that are working fine (but could be faster), or do I go out and buy new with SSD in them?

3 years is getting a little old. A lot of things like power supplies could be getting ready to fail like the power supply or even the processor. But you could probably get another year or so out of it with a new SSD and power supply.

I usually just buy new components and reuse the old case. That's why I don't buy HPs or Dells. I'll reuse the DVD player, memory, mouse, and keyboard if they're still up to snuff, but everything else is new.

I must say that my new office is staying visually tidier.  With the MA privacy regs, I am supposed to have EVERY piece of client paper locked away if I step away from my desk for ANY reason.  Yes, that means if I wander to get a drink of water (or get rid of an earlier drink of water).  Never got too cranked up about it at the home office - after all, if the doors are locked and I'm the only one in the building, all those papers ARE locked up at all times...  But at the new office I have to be far more careful.  What that means is that all my stacks are in locked drawers, and I am trying to get everything scanned and paper OUT so I don't have to buy more file drawers!

Lion -- I think the last time I vacuumed was after we took the Christmas tree down.  It hurts my back and makes me sneeze for hours; I'd rather Swiffer and toss (that only makes my hands itch, and that only til they get washed up).  Cleaning lady... now that sounds nice.  Maybe after 4/15 I will investigate.

How about putting locks on all the doors leading to your office.  When you are away, lock the doors.  Easier than locking file cabinets.

We're old enough that we treated ourselves to a cleaning lady every couple of weeks for the main rooms of the house.  But, not the guest room or my office (I'd have to put stacks away) or our kid's old room that houses hubby's computer.  It does include the hall bathroom that clients would use, though, as well as our master bath.  Much easier on my aching back and allergies.  (Now she refuses to use my vacuum with the hepa filters and uses her old Oreck that leaves a toxic cloud.  Today, I'm trying to get out of the house to see a biz client before she vacuums.)

That's why I'm in the organizational pickle with stacks stacked on stacks in crates due to getting them out when a client would be coming!  I did add a deadbolt to my office door.  And, have certain drawers and cabinets that lock.  But, out of sight, out of mind.  Am trying to alleviate stacks before first new client's appointment, so I don't just throw them together again and lock them in the guestroom.  We'll see how far I get.

• Like 1

I am SO jealous.  Cleaning Lady?  You can't even see the top of my kitchen table which still has the Christmas tablecloth on it.  We had the carpenter who is working on our enclosed porch and my assistant for lunch today.  Had to move around papers so we could all sit at the table.  My assistant actually furnished the lunch of homemade bean soup and homemade bread.  What a blessing.  My office is the cleanest room in the house because it is the newest.

One of the few things I insisted upon when we were building my office addition, was a deadbolt lock in addition to the other lock.  Also, the full door glass has the blind between the panes of glass so it can be opened during the day and closed at night and on weekends.  NO dust on THAT blind. 

• Like 4

How about putting locks on all the doors leading to your office.  When you are away, lock the doors.  Easier than locking file cabinets.

Not acceptable, says the state of Massachusetts.  File cabinets and desks must have locks; ALL client files must be in and locked whenever you are away.  They do NOT care if you are the only one in the building, or that you are locking the door to your office while you dash to your car for the second load of office supplies from staples that you left for later, or that your office is locked.  

Plus encryption on ALL disks and drives.  

Plus NO ssn's on paper copies.

Plus password-protected pdf's of ALL documents on CD's given to clients.

The usual one-size-fits-none regulations:  what might make sense in a huge company with cubicles does not make sense for me and vice-versa.  The intent is to "prevent" identity theft.  They could have merely said, "if someone's id gets stolen and it's traced to you, you're dead meat" and let me (and all others) figure how to protect the data.  Instead, they have to micro-manage every paperclip.

• Like 2

Not acceptable, says the state of Massachusetts.  File cabinets and desks must have locks; ALL client files must be in and locked whenever you are away.  They do NOT care if you are the only one in the building, or that you are locking the door to your office while you dash to your car for the second load of office supplies from staples that you left for later, or that your office is locked.  

Plus encryption on ALL disks and drives.  

Plus NO ssn's on paper copies.

Plus password-protected pdf's of ALL documents on CD's given to clients.

The usual one-size-fits-none regulations:  what might make sense in a huge company with cubicles does not make sense for me and vice-versa.  The intent is to "prevent" identity theft.  They could have merely said, "if someone's id gets stolen and it's traced to you, you're dead meat" and let me (and all others) figure how to protect the data.  Instead, they have to micro-manage every paperclip.

Remind me again why you live in Massachusetts???

Well, the cleaning lady just cleans.  If I don't clear off the kitchen table, she can't wash it.  If I don't get stacks of newspapers off the living room floor, she can't vacuum it.  Today she really couldn't clean the family room, because I have two corners of it filled with boxes I'd moved from my office when clients came and from my usual "holding tank" guest room when I actually had guests and some more stacks that are hubby's plus some stray Christmas boxes and things.  Once upon a time I cleaned my office well at the end of tax season and before the new season began, but now the season never ends.  One time I'd even picked up enough that the cleaning lady cleaned my office.  But, I can't get things cleared out enough to really dust and vacuum.  It's one section at a time when I expect clients.  I have a friend who sees clients in his conference room so his office can stay the way he works.  I have met clients in my dining room or living room when I don't want to move my stacks while in the middle of a complex return.  Thank goodness most use the mail slot in my front door, upload to FileShare on my website, FedEx to me, etc.

• Like 2