ATX Community

Rant! I'm so sorry, I just got a 1099R

NECPA in NEBRASKA

Why are people in such a hurry? This is why I try to get them to hold off until February. I just e-filed the return last night and get a call tonight at 10:09 that a rollover 1099R was in today's mail. I asked her if she was positive that she had everything and she definitely didn't have anything else. :rolleyes:  It won't make a difference in the tax return, but she will get a letter down the road. I'm tempted to just wait for the letter instead of amending. 

• Like 3

NECPA, your point about holding off until February is a great one.  I have completed and filed one 1040 so far because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that everything is in.  The only ones that I will prepare for the next week are the Corps for which my firm does the books.  I know everybody's practice is different and the stresses and pressures come from varying degrees, but I just will not be muscled into preparing 1040's (with the exception of that one) in January or the first week in February.

KC - good point.  They (the clients) are very easily confused.  We in this business, with a completely different frame of reference, too easily forget that.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

The only ones I transmit this early are the repeat clients that I know well and I know that the ONLY things they have are W-2 and 1099-HSA....and I know because I also do the payroll for the place where they work.  Other than these few, I urge caution because like was said above....clients always forget about those various 1099s...oh and that W-2 from the place that I worked a month last January.

• Like 2

She will absolutely get charged and she won't like it. Maybe next year she won't show up until it all comes in. 

Maybe next year she won't show up at all if "she won't like it".

My take is completely different.  We all forget things...and a rollover is very easy to forget.

I don't know if she is a high income person, the fee you charge her, the complexity of her return, or if she "forgets things" every year.

However...this 1099-R will not affect anything....and most likely this will just be 2 pages.

I'd give her 2 options:

1. We can do nothing...and then when you get "the letter" you'll just need to send in the 1099-R at that time

2. Wait until after the season...and I'll amend.

She'll be happy....and next year you raise her a few dollars.

It's called "good customer relations".

• Like 2

She is fine with my additional fee. She is mad at the insurance guy that talked her into rolling it over and told her she wouldn't have to show anything on her taxes. I know that it's more money for me, but I have so much on my plate now, that ANY more work is more than I need. I have to go buy a new QuickBooks and install it, because my client swore that he didn't upgrade, but when I put in his flash drive, sure enough, it's a newer version. 

• Like 1

... I have so much on my plate now, that ANY more work is more than I need.

Yes, this is the problem right here.  Friend calls me at 6:30 last night, I ignore her and call on the drive home.  She's on Husband # 4, who left in October, can I file HOH (NOOOOOOOO) and Husband # 2 won't let me claim Kid # 3 (it's his year and he raised all three of your kids, two of whom are not his, while you stayed home).  Would it be terrible of me to hit send with Kid # 3 on there?

Me:  YESSSSS.

Cricket sounds.  I hope she divorces me.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 7

So I am sitting here debating how to handle an issue.  Rewind to about this time last year.  Client emails me that he needs a copy of his 2013 Audited Financial Statement.  I comply and realize that I had not yet billed him for the item.  I bill him about 30 days later about $3,000 for the Audited financials and he emails me and says he never requested audited financials and all he needed was the financial statements out of QuickBooks.  He says he only needed Audited financials once (2012) and did not need them for 2013 and will not need them in the future.  So he did not pay the bill.  (My other billings for this client (which are always paid timely) total about 6 grand.)  Fast forward back to today.  I receive an email from said client this morning "Ron, can you please send me a attachment of 2013 Audited financial statement please? thank you I have the state hear Monday."

I am absolutely stymied as to how to respond to this request.

And yes, I agree, we ARE having fun now!!!!!!

So I am sitting here debating how to handle an issue.  Rewind to about this time last year.  Client emails me that he needs a copy of his 2013 Audited Financial Statement.  I comply and realize that I had not yet billed him for the item.  I bill him about 30 days later about $3,000 for the Audited financials and he emails me and says he never requested audited financials and all he needed was the financial statements out of QuickBooks.  He says he only needed Audited financials once (2012) and did not need them for 2013 and will not need them in the future.  So he did not pay the bill.  (My other billings for this client (which are always paid timely) total about 6 grand.)  Fast forward back to today.  I receive an email from said client this morning "Ron, can you please send me a attachment of 2013 Audited financial statement please? thank you I have the state hear Monday."

Oh, you mean the Audited Financial Statement that I slaved over and you never paid me for because you didn't need it?  That one?  And it might go downhill from there.  Do you have the email request from him that he sent you in 2013?  That thing would receive new life.  Brother, I'm healed.

Either way, you have the request today, and I'd be replying with an invoice, and "Sure, I just need to be paid or it's not a valid Financial Statement cause it has to be a compensated auditor, you know, my hands are tied.  (I just made that up and sometimes it's appropriate to do that.)

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 5

Oh, you mean the Audited Financial Statement that I slaved over and you never paid me for because you didn't need it?  That one?  And it might go downhill from there.  Do you have the email request from him that he sent you in 2013?  That thing would receive new life.  Brother, I'm healed.

A bit softer....

"As soon as you pay for it, you can have it".

Remind him (great if in e-mail) that he claimed he never requested it and now the price is more because of the rush.

• Like 2

Haha, while you are at it discussing this, find out if he'll need audited financials for 2014. Depending on the timing of when you issued the 2013 statements and invoiced for it, you will not be independent if the unpaid fees go beyond one year.  The state isn't going to accept compiled statements, no matter what the reason your client is involved with the state.

• Like 3

Rita - my tech guy hates me.  I have kept every email from the beginning.  So yes, I do have the original email and email exchanges after the bill was sent.

Ms TabbyKats - thanks!

Here is what I decided to send and his response:

"Are you certain that it is Audited Financial Statements you need? This is where we had issues last year.  I did supply you with the Audited Statements and billed you and you said you never requested the Audited Statements and will not need Audited Statements in the future and did not pay the bill.  Just want to make sure I know what you need."

Client's response: "Is it just the financial statements? And once we have our NEW business on its own I will take care of that bill.  I apologize it has taken so long not your issue I know just wanted to explain."

So I sent him the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss out of QuickBooks (that I know are clean since my firm cleans them up) and told him to see it those will work.

His response:  "OK this should work, the state wants me to do an audit every year and I told them they are to expensive to have done every year.  All (the business like mine) in PA are fight this."

Good luck with that fight.  I guess I will have to go back to my "half the projected fee before we start" routine.  Sounds like I will get paid for the one I did - eventually - and will still be able to keep the client.  Another couple of weeks and I probably would not have been so nice.

• Like 5

Haha, while you are at it discussing this, find out if he'll need audited financials for 2014. Depending on the timing of when you issued the 2013 statements and invoiced for it, you will not be independent if the unpaid fees go beyond one year.  The state isn't going to accept compiled statements, no matter what the reason your client is involved with the state.

I know - right?