ATX Community

I am starting to believe there is a conspiracy

rfassett

to drive some of us, uh, senior practitioners out of this business.  I cite the continued major changes in the reporting requirements that some of us believe will not be fully understood and/or implemented before we take down our shingle sometime in the future.  But the very real blaring proof of the conspiracy is the font shrinking on the W-2s and 1099s.  Honestly, I find myself guessing at what the number might be and then I suggest to myself that that may not be very professional.  So I get out the magnifying glass - and yep, I guessed wrong.  Come on man!   Help us out here.  Some of us have eyes that are very well used and can not see those tiny fonts anymore. The fact of the matter - I am not a conspiracy theorist, but if I were...................I think they are out to get us!

And while I ponder this, I keep hearing the theme that there are not as many young folks coming into this business to relieve the pressure at the other end.  That has me very concerned.  So carrying my conspiracy ideas a bit further.........well, never mind........................

Edited by rfassett
  • Like 12

I had to increase the size of the display on my screen in the last year or so.  I understand completely about the size of the fonts, and I think there should be a minimum set.  I had someone fax me several forms that were missing and I was barely able to make out the numbers! 

• Like 2

Yep, I had a multi-page fax and had to confirm many of the numbers with her.  Today, same taxpayer faxed me a corrected W-2 which was probably on blue or colored paper -- this after I had to have her read me the original over the phone -- and I can't tell what's what.  I think, think, the only change is C and an amount for life insurance, but am calling her now, again.  I have really bright lights, recessed lights and TWO desk lamps, plus huge monitors.  I really can't see the numbers.  Clients who make copies of copies and copy colored paper into B&W and shrink to fit two pages on one -- I'm raising their prices.  I have about three pairs of reading glasses in my office, but still get the magnifier.  Have a great app on my iPhone that magnifies and lights also.  This getting old stuff is hard work.

• Like 5

The credit card industry is now mandated to make the "fine print" no smaller than a 12-point font or something like that (i.e., no more fine print). Why don't they do that with tax reporting docs? And while they're at it, how about regulating the font size on OTC medicines and even cleaning supplies. They now have so many languages and legal requirements stuffed onto a 3" X 3" label that's it's impossible to tell is you're supposed to take a teaspoon or half cup of cough syrup, or whether you're supposed to rub the polish in and let it sit for 3 hours or just glaze the surface and immediately remove the residue.

And how about the clients who don't email or fax unreadable docs but send them via pictures taken with their phones? Sometimes I get black on black, or numbers so broken up you don't know it's a number. Instead of struggling through this crap, it's time to take a stand and just tell the client we can't read it so they have to find another way to get it to us.

• Like 5

The credit card industry is now mandated to make the "fine print" no smaller than a 12-point font or something like that (i.e., no more fine print). Why don't they do that with tax reporting docs? And while they're at it, how about regulating the font size on OTC medicines and even cleaning supplies. They now have so many languages and legal requirements stuffed onto a 3" X 3" label that's it's impossible to tell is you're supposed to take a teaspoon or half cup of cough syrup, or whether you're supposed to rub the polish in and let it sit for 3 hours or just glaze the surface and immediately remove the residue.

And how about the clients who don't email or fax unreadable docs but send them via pictures taken with their phones? Sometimes I get black on black, or numbers so broken up you don't know it's a number. Instead of struggling through this crap, it's time to take a stand and just tell the client we can't read it so they have to find another way to get it to us.

Notice that the "entities" controlling the money (credit card co.; government who has to read it, etc.) along with "legal system" (mandated that a 12 pt. font is the smallest allowed to file brief, etc.) has all deemed "IT MUST BE READABLE".  Yet we the "poor practitioners" just have to make do and figure it out.

Agreed, if it takes more time to "figure" out pages, and make things understandable (as in figuring out clients "images" instead of clean PDF's). Money talks and we should be listening and charging appropriately for our troubles and extra time.

We all try to be "fair" but also need to be realistic -- how much time used to figure out forms (not from what they are, just what they MIGHT read) could we be using to do another clients information sooner  ---- or my favorite --- spending a little more time with spouse (contrary to her saying "leave me alone" ----).

• Like 3

<snip> The fact of the matter - I am not a conspiracy theorist, but if I were...................I think they are out to get us!

And while I ponder this, I keep hearing the theme that there are not as many young folks coming into this business to relieve the pressure at the other end.  That has me very concerned.  So carrying my conspiracy ideas a bit further.........well, never mind........................

My husband says, "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action."

• Like 4

I have a huge floater in my left eye right in the center of my vision. Of course, I keep all of my papers off to my left side because the way my desk has to sit, there is no room on my right. It drives my crazy. The fonts are small enough and then I have a big, black glob that loves to move wherever I am looking. I am very careful to turn and look at numbers with my right eye if I am not sure what they are, because it's so easy to misread the numbers.

• Like 2

I once received a 1099 from a client.  Nine hundred dollars.  The decimal was so small, you could barely see it.  I received a letter from IRS saying I didn't report $90,000 income.  I about fell out of my chair.  I sent a letter with a copy and enlarged it the best I could with my copier.  Luckily, IRS accepted it.  Whew.  I wish I had a client paying me 90 grand.

• Like 3

It is so nice to see that we all are among mixed company. I too like the larger monitors and the bigger the better. I can't say I have had anything like Randall's post but I have asked clients to verify numbers as well. What I always like most in life are the incredible disappearing ink from receipts. Just have to remember not to leave them in my pocket too long.

• Like 2

We need a law that says that all tax documents (W2, 1099, etc) must have the year and form number in quarter inch tall Arial bold with the year in the upper right hand corner and the form number in upper left hand corner.

We always check the year on the form because clients sometimes give us prior year forms and we have on occasion accidentally entered those forms. I'm sure you've all seen forms where the year is in a bottom border in a tiny font. Why would you hide something so important?!

• Like 9

We need a law that says that all tax documents (W2, 1099, etc) must have the year and form number in quarter inch tall Arial bold with the year in the upper right hand corner and the form number in upper left hand corner.

We always check the year on the form because clients sometimes give us prior year forms and we have on occasion accidentally entered those forms. I'm sure you've all seen forms where the year is in a bottom border in a tiny font. Why would you hide something so important?!

Just had a client email me the 8879 and state sig forms from 2013. --- they received 2014, printed, signed and scanned back in but sent 2013 ----  Oh well, still GREAT people.

• Like 4

SO TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.  

• Like 2

My preference would be that the law would mandate that everyone use forms with the same layout as the IRS forms, even if they are going to print them on plain paper.  I don't care about the perforations, but I could sure be more efficient if I could look in the same place every time to enter the EIN for the employer, the wages or the taxable income, etc.  Instead it sometimes seems as though every company has a different format for their W2s and 1099s. 

• Like 9

Gail, I agree that the variety of permutations on reporting forms is enough to make me cry sometimes.  However you know what a fuss there would be if it was mandated as another intrusion of government regulations on businesses.  At least we have consistent reporting forms for 1099s.

Well - I am not so sure. Twice so far this year I have received printed information (name, address, SSN, and an amount as well as the payer information) ON A BLANK HALF SHEET OF PAPER with a label attached that says "Form 1099". But for the fact that the client has had royalties in the past from that company, I would not know that the number on the paper represented royalties. I know that is an anomaly, but still - things are not as consistent as we would like to believe.

Well - I am not so sure. Twice so far this year I have received printed information (name, address, SSN, and an amount as well as the payer information) ON A BLANK HALF SHEET OF PAPER with a label attached that says "Form 1099". But for the fact that the client has had royalties in the past from that company, I would not know that the number on the paper represented royalties. I know that is an anomaly, but still - things are not as consistent as we would like to believe.

I got one of those too. It's because QuickBooks won't print 1099s on blank paper like it does with W2s.

I would like for the nurses filling out their time sheets for this payroll I'm doing to learn that 4 hours 45 minutes is 4.75 hours, not 4.45 hours.  Hope they administer proper dosages to their patients.  Geez Louise.

I dunno, KC, rounding may be too much to ask of people these days.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 3