ATX Community

Sch C or Line 21 and SE Tax

Patrick Michael

Client helped out a friend who owns a one man manufacturing business. Client put part A into part B, worked out his own home, set his own hours and was paid by the piece so I believe he should be classified as a subcontractor and not an employee of the friend.  He was paid about $2,000 and the friend will be issuing a 1099.  I'm thinking of putting the income on line 21 since he is not in the trade or business of assembling parts (has a regular full time job) and the activity is not regular and continuous.  After some research I could not find anything definitive whether or not it should it be subject to SE Tax.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I would put in on Sch C or Sch C-EZ.  It is income from work.  Just like if he worked at McDonald's for a week or a month, never worked there before, and never will again.  He would not get a refund of SS/MC tax.  We never think anything about short stints with employers; I don't think we should with subcontractors working, either.  I think the spirit of the law, so to speak, for line 21 is really "other" income, like awards, cancellation of debt, etc.  You know, where there was no work.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 10

I have to disagree. I would not subject him to SE tax based on it being a sporadic activity.

I believe that there is some guidance as to whether it is reported in box 3 (other income) or box 7 (non-employee compensation).   I have done it both ways depending on the circumstances.

I believe that there is some guidance as to whether it is reported in box 3 (other income) or box 7 (non-employee compensation).   I have done it both ways depending on the circumstances.

Yes. We do 1099s for directors of a local community theater and always put the stipend in box 3. The stipend is 750 but some directors ask to only be paid 599 so they won't receive a 1099. All of them have day jobs or are retired and usually only direct a play every couple of years or so. And many of them use the stipend on things for the play or cast anyway.

Yes. We do 1099s for directors of a local community theater and always put the stipend in box 3. The stipend is 750 but some directors ask to only be paid 599 so they won't receive a 1099. All of them have day jobs or are retired and usually only direct a play every couple of years or so. And many of them use the stipend on things for the play or cast anyway.

I believe the $600 amount is only for the issuer of the 1099.  The recipient of less than $600 is still required to claim it as income.  Ha!

• Like 4

I believe the $600 amount is only for the issuer of the 1099.  The recipient of less than $600 is still required to claim it as income.  Ha!

Absolutely correct.  I would have no income from tax prep if the first $599 from each payer was not income.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 7

What? 

You're saying I have to report each tax prep fee even if it's under $600? 

But don't I get to deduct the value of my time from what I report?

Yes, plus you also get to deduct the difference between what you COULD have charged and what you DID charge.  Just like the guys with empty rentals do.  And the gals with hair do overs do.

• Like 5

Well, while the PAYER has a $600 threshold, the RECIPIENT has a $400 threshold for SE tax, remember.  

Unless this truly is a one-time activity never at all likely to be repeated, I'd put it on the C-EZ because while it might not be his PRIMARY business, it clearly was "work, for compensation" and thus is "self-employment income".  

• Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎07‎:‎15‎, jmdaviscpa said:

Just returned from a 3 day tax seminars.  Teachers addressed this issue and flatly stated that if it is in box 3, it goes on line 21; if it is in box 7, it goes on C or F.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mcb39 said:

Just returned from a 3 day tax seminars.  Teachers addressed this issue and flatly stated that if it is in box 3, it goes on line 21; if it is in box 7, it goes on C or F.

then I guess those "teachers" are assuming that the 1099's are prepared correctly.  Remember, they are being prepared by those same people here that disagree on how the income should be reported, so why assume that the 1099's are correct.  I do 100 of buildings and I can't tell you how many times I get 1099's with the rent reported in box 3 or 7.  Even errors on 1099's prepared by big institutions like Hospitals and even some local municipalities.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, michaelmars said:

then I guess those "teachers" are assuming that the 1099's are prepared correctly.  Remember, they are being prepared by those same people here that disagree on how the income should be reported, so why assume that the 1099's are correct.  I do 100 of buildings and I can't tell you how many times I get 1099's with the rent reported in box 3 or 7.  Even errors on 1099's prepared by big institutions like Hospitals and even some local municipalities.

That mirrors my experience.  Box 3, Box 7, Box 6... I have seen ALL of those used for one client for whom the work is all the same and definitely SE work.  I have seen honoraria of less than $150 reported in Box 7 when it was clearly NOT SE work (and under the $600 threshold).  All manner of nonsense on these forms where many are clearly prepared by people who have no idea what they are doing; they've just been told "send these out."  So while what @mcb39 and @Jack from Ohio state may well be the official IRS position, it does not absolve us from firing up the old neurons and seeing if the information presented to us is good - or garbage.  GIGO, after all. 

• Like 5