ATX Community

Clients are already driving me a little nuts

Roberts

Client has a "loan" to his company where he already paid income tax but kept the money in his 1120S. He distributes a small amount to his wife every month to pay for groceries and such - why he doesn't just take a check for it all - no clue. He looks on the tax return and sees this loan dropping and freaks out - how could this possibly be happening? After explaining it to him what we've been doing the last 6-7 years, he declares he didn't write all the checks that he entered into Quickbooks and I should have known that (the checks oddly all clear the bank). To cap it all off - he asks if he shouldn't pay to the company the balance of the loan (that is owed to him) so that the company is debt free. Would that reduce his taxes?

On Monday he wanted to know if he could reinvest his required minimum IRA distribution into a new IRA to eliminate his tax burden.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Roberts said:

Client has a "loan" to his company where he already paid income tax but kept the money in his 1120S. He distributes a small amount to his wife every month to pay for groceries and such - why he doesn't just take a check for it all - no clue. He looks on the tax return and sees this loan dropping and freaks out - how could this possibly be happening? After explaining it to him what we've been doing the last 6-7 years, he declares he didn't write all the checks that he entered into Quickbooks and I should have known that (the checks oddly all clear the bank). To cap it all off - he asks if he shouldn't pay to the company the balance of the loan (that is owed to him) so that the company is debt free. Would that reduce his taxes?

No, he absolutely should not pay the company the balance of the loan. 

YOU should pay the company the balance of the loan as a penalty for not reading his mind...

• Like 6

My client who yaks and yaks today kept mentioning that she's been working for barter.  And gives me this look like, "I'm so smart, I'm working for barter.  Yep, I have outsmarted IRS, sure have."  I let her go on and on with that (well, I had no way of stopping her, she's amazing, I don't know when she breathes).  Anyway, she gets up to leave:  "Anything else you need?"

Me:  Yes, I need the Fair Market Value of the barter items you received for working.  You know, the amount of cash the items would sell for.  Just the total, no need to itemize everything.  Thanks.

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, RitaB said:

My client who yaks and yaks today kept mentioning that she's been working for barter.  And gives me this look like, "I'm so smart, I'm working for barter.  Yep, I have outsmarted IRS, sure have."  I let her go on and on with that (well, I had no way of stopping her, she's amazing, I don't know when she breathes).  Anyway, she gets up to leave:  "Anything else you need?"

Me:  Yes, I need the Fair Market Value of the barter items you received for working.  You know, the amount of cash the items would sell for.  Just the total, no need to itemize everything.  Thanks.

And.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RitaB said:

Yes, THIS can be deleted -- if I stepped over the line //// BUT  I will be the one to go there --------    MAYbe, she was hitting on you (those looks could have been -- not out smarted IRS but -- what do you think??).     MAYbe, she was looking for ways o decrease her tax prep bill????

Alright, I am done --- anybody want to holler at  me, feel free --- no charge...

• Like 3

My yakking client who also talks non-stop is running a "business" of selling Pampered Chef, in addition to her real job.  "Oh, I am making so much money.  I am so excited and my sales were so good that I even earned a trip this year!"  Whoa!  Backup!  Do you realize that you will be taxed on the value of that trip?  Her:  "But, I earned it!"  Me:  Key word; EARNED!  Her:  "Oh, my Gosh!, we are so glad we came to you because you know everything!"

Well, some days I feel like I don't know anything.  However, this lady truly wants to file a complete and honest return.  She has that going for her.  She said that the best times to talk to her are Saturday or Sunday.  Well, those are the worst times to talk to me.  Most Sundays you may find my phone unplugged and if you don't have my cell #, you are out of luck.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, joanmcq said:

That's what email is for!

Problem with e-mail:

1.  I need an appointment,  2. Me:  When are you available;  3. What do you have open?;  4.  Me:  (Gritting my teeth)  How about___?;  5. I work til 5;  6.  Me:  6:00 on Monday?;  7.  This Monday?  8.  Me:  Yes,  9.  OK, that will work.  10.  Me:  (Thinking, charge them extra!)

Texting is just as bad and now they are trying to set up appointments through PM on Facebook.  Same scenario as above.  Are we becoming a mute society?

• Like 2

Texting:  One reason not to give your clients your number, I had a number of clients save my number after returning their call while working out of the office, I attend their call just once and as soon as it ends, boom I block their number.  Then they have the nerve to call my office number and say I've been trying to call you but your phone is not working, I am like hello I am talking to you!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

Problem with e-mail:

1.  I need an appointment,  2. Me:  When are you available;  3. What do you have open?;  4.  Me:  (Gritting my teeth)  How about___?;  5. I work til 5;  6.  Me:  6:00 on Monday?;  7.  This Monday?  8.  Me:  Yes,  9.  OK, that will work.  10.  Me:  (Thinking, charge them extra!)

Texting is just as bad and now they are trying to set up appointments through PM on Facebook.  Same scenario as above.  Are we becoming a mute society?

mcb:

I am using youcanbookme.com for that.  It is on my website, and you can get there from my facebook page, and it is at the bottom of my email.  It is free, and ties into my google calendar.  I have the times that are available on there, and they can search for a time that makes sense for them, and I am out of the loop. 

Second year.  Works great.

Rich

• Like 4

For many years I refused to give out my cell phone number.  But now I give it to anyone who wants it, and I encourage them to text me (or email, as they prefer).  Any amount of back-and-forth associated with text/email is still much more convenient than speaking with them by phone, which is the second-biggest time waster in our business. (The biggest time waster by far is having the client sitting in the office) 

Texting and email leave me in control of when it is truly necessary to have a phone conversation.  There are times when I reply by telling the client I'll give them a call.  But that decision is mine, not theirs.

• Like 3

The guy who bought my business likes phone calls....on his cell phone nonetheless.

I had them all trained "E-mail me...e-mail me what you just told me on the phone because if it isn't in writing...it just isn't"

I've told him "The clients are young, they are mainly researchers with PhDs or IT engineers.  They have accents.  They have (often very long) foreign names."

But, he likes phone contact because it's immediate....no waiting for an answer

Also, with me I would tell them that "I need to speak to you" if I felt a call was necessary.  And then I would tell them an exact window of when to call.

One client insisted on calling me on my cell phone (had the number from a long time ago).  After telling for them years...."e-mail, e-mail, e-mail....or call on landline if absolutely necessary".... I chose to ignore an "urgent cell phone call" (needed copies of returns for child support court the next day)....and they never called on the cell phone again!

• Like 2

On 1/29/2016 at 6:47 AM, mcb39 said:

She said that the best times to talk to her are Saturday or Sunday.  Well, those are the worst times to talk to me.  Most Sundays you may find my phone unplugged and if you don't have my cell #, you are out of luck.

That's what voice mail is for.  or email.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David1980 said:

Yeah, I tried encouraging someone to send email for their questions because they tended to ramble on about a lot of unrelated stuff when they called.

Now I get email from them.

"Can you give me a call? I've got a question."

That's been my experience too.  I want my answers when I am ready for them.  I constantly go back and forth with email unless I ask them a specific question.   Sometimes, by the time I get the answer, I forget what the question was and the client is on the bottom of the pile.   Also, KC, that is easy to say, but when you have OIH (my own choice) it is irritating.  This is Sunday.  Trust me, this afternoon, the phone will be unplugged.  I have a good excuse this year; "I had surgery in June and I have to rest some time.)

• Like 3

I've had a few kids text my landline and wonder why they didn't hear from me. They didn't think anyone still used landlines. I was dying at supper tonight because my son was talking about the old days when people had to memorize phone numbers.

I also got phones for my OIH that have a do not disturb button. I push it whenever I don't want them to ring and they get my voicemail. 

What I really hate is when clients show up and I still have my pjs on. I am really going to have to start putting on my exercise clothes first thing, instead of running downstairs to finish something up before getting ready for the day.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, David1980 said:

Yeah, I tried encouraging someone to send email for their questions because they tended to ramble on about a lot of unrelated stuff when they called.

Now I get email from them.

"Can you give me a call? I've got a question."

That one's easy to respond to....

"Sure, I can call sometime.  

What do you want to talk about?"

• Like 3