ATX Community

How tired are you?

jasdlm

I had a computer crash during the season a few years back that took its toll on me.  Actually it was a new computer late the year before that had one or more fans that didn't work that overheated the video card on the motherboard starting in January and finally getting all new innards the end of March.  Everyone went on extension with a lot of zeros.  I feel your pain.  Your clients need an intelligent, ethical preparer.  But, I can understand that you need some peace of mind and body.  Give yourself some time after the 19th to unwind and decide what you want to do.  And, for now -- breathe.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SaraEA said:

My post made me realize something.  Why do we remember and dwell over every single error we ever made (I still remember my first one almost 20 years ago) and not feel good about the zillions of clients we have helped over time?  The ones we found eligible for credits they never claimed, played with the numbers and discovered MFS actually would save them a bunch, cajoled into increasing their withholding or paying quarterly, warned about missing sales tax returns, spent precious time calculating basis of assets, dropped everything so we could meet some outside deadline for them......

I LOVE this!!!!!:)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jasdlm said:

I'm so sad to read the posts by Catherine, Joan and Lion.  Sorry, Ladies!  Catherine, had you been thinking previously about selling your practice?  I hope you won't leave our 'family' here.

Best to all of you.

My original plan was to groom my assistant to take over more and more.  he is going to be a great EA (studying for the SEE this summer) but as time goes on I am more convinced he doesn't have the stamina to be a sole practitioner.  He'd do better as a #2 or #3 at an existing firm.  So that brings me to selling.  I may keep my hand in as an instructor (the state EA society keeps asking me to teach but I have no time to prepare those classes) and drastically scale back my personal practice.  But this year,between the town trying to evict us (which looks like it is going to fail), and this eight-days-dead computer issue, I've had it.  I refuse to go through this again.  Don't worry, I'll stick around here; you can't get rid of me that fast!  Hey, I might be able to travel and visit people.  

• Like 8

I can feel my red face!!!!!     I first told a very nice client about a week ago that he would owe around $16k.  He wasn't happy, but has the money to pay.  Today, I call and tell him he will be getting a $5k refund.  He's confused but delighted.  I had reviewed the return twice, every screen.  I looked at the return again.  No Sch C activity at all, and it's a chunk.  For some reason, I had toggled to keep the Sch C off the return.  So then I have to tell him that, No!  He DOES owe the $16k!!  I feel like an idiot!!  He was understanding but pretty shocked.  I am totally done for this day.

He'll like the fat discount I'm giving him on the fee for make for the roller coaster ride.

• Like 3

....and then the success :)  My most beloved and enormou$ client called to tell me that his banker is very impressed with his CPA.  That would be me. I've had to figure out some stuff and explain some things, etc.  

If I was a cat, I'd be licking my shoulder right now

• Like 7

I should have quit when I said I was going to last night. Got the last bits of info for 3 years of SE returns and worked on them. Got 2013 & 2014 done & printed and then when 2015 error checked saying I had to do Sch C instead of C-EZ, I gave up. Today realized 2013 refund should be applied to 2014 balance due to decrease interest & penalties. At least I only have to reprint 1 page of each plus letters for that mistake. 

Still haven't moved all the 2015 biz expenses to the Sch C. Nap time. And then I get to watch what we call 'the singing' while I have supper. I wonder if I can just email a picture of the rash to my doctor?  Don't have time for an appointment. 

• Like 2

Lion and Black Bart, back pain may be caused by staring up at a computer screen all day (and all night) that is too high from where you are sitting.  (Or too low.)  I worked in an office once where I got serious neck pains.  Then I noticed that I was fine on Monday, a little stiff on Tuesday, and by Friday I was in serious pain.  It went away over the weekend and started all over again the next workweek.  I put two and two together and set the computer on a lower desk; never had it happen again.  A man in our office would get such back pain that I would catch him rubbing his back against the doorway to relax it.  I had to sit at his desk once and thought I was sitting on the floor.  I adjusted his chair upwards and his back pain disappeared.  Big offices actually have ergonomic experts come in to examine such things, and often all it takes is adjusting the angle from where you view the monitors and/or type  Try it.  I hope it helps.

• Like 3

It's my desk chair.  I bought a more expensive one last time that's lasted longer, but the lumbar support is less support lately and the seat now presses the backs of my thighs.  No time to get a new one, so been trying to watch my posture.  And, I tried all the throw pillows in the house until I found one that puts the seat at the right angle.  Also, found some reading glasses at the grocery store that work for reading, computer, and over the desk/client, so I don't lean as much.  It still takes time to heal once the muscles start spasming, if that's a word.  Being over tired makes it hard to maintain good posture, too.  On Wednesdays, I'm at a biz client's site and have a crummy chair; usually have leg cramps on Wednesday nights.  This getting old is hard work.

• Like 2

I've found the standing desk to be a great antidote for back pain and other joint problems.  I also keep a bar stool and exercise pedals to be a great supplement when I've found myself standing too long. The key is to keep moving.   I know we discussed this at length on another thread, but it's worth repeating.

I only have one complaint, and it's related to certain charity & benevolence cases.  I'm sure most of you have some similar situations to one degree or another.  I know this sounds judgmental, but here goes.  Most of the ones I handle are genuinely needy and have been beset by problems beyond their control, sometimes overwhelming life circumstances.  They all do seem to appreciate the help.  But there is a subset, whom I know are in genuine need, but I sometimes want to say something to this effect to them.  "Your tendency to ignore requests for info, to furnish partial responses, and to put things off until the last minute are a part of the reason you find yourself in your present circumstances. Why do you refuse to learn that simple life lesson?" 

There, I've said it in the only place I feel comfortable saying it because I know most of you here understand the frustratrions.  But I don't feel any better for having done so.,

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, JohnH said:

I only have one complaint, and it's related to certain charity & benevolence cases.  I'm sure most of you have some similar situations to one degree or another.  I know this sounds judgmental, but here goes.  Most of the ones I handle are genuinely needy and have been beset by problems beyond their control, sometimes overwhelming life circumstances.  They all do seem to appreciate the help.  But there is a subset, whom I know are in genuine need, but I sometimes want to say something to this effect to them.  "Your tendency to ignore requests for info, to furnish partial responses, and to put things off until the last minute are a part of the reason you find yourself in your present circumstances. Why do you refuse to learn that simple life lesson?" 

There, I've said it in the only place I feel comfortable saying it because I know most of you here understand the frustratrions.

I understand completely.  That's why I'm so mouthy on here.  Because I'm not with the clients.  (Unless they really, really, really, push it.)  Most of them don't. And the ones who really, really, really, push it are usually not sharp enough to catch the sarcasm.  So I'm not sure if I feel better because I mouthed off, or if I feel better because they don't realize I'm mad.  But I always feel better telling my colleagues on here, because you all get it.

I have a "friend" who's been gonna hire me for three years.  He asked a month ago if he could bring in his stuff.  Of course, great.  I've not seen him.  He called yesterday. I didn't answer.  When he calls today, I'm telling him, "Sure I can get it done if you bring it today."  Actually, I'm telling everybody that calls today that.  There is zero chance they will bring it today.  They've not started getting it together.  But the ball is now in their court.  And they will drop it, as usual. 

• Like 4