ATX Community

I hate the week before 15 October

jasdlm

It's even worse that the 15th falls on a Saturday.  I have people telling me they are going to drop off their 'crap' tomorrow.  Why do they think I want to give up a beautiful fall weekend to go through their pile of poo just so they can melt down on Monday and tell me they cannot possibly owe money.  This is always followed by 'are you sure you haven't made a mistake'?

I am not amused.  I actually think I prefer 15 April to 15 October.  Especially when it's 17 October.

How do these people make it through their daily lives?  I think I'll pat them on the shoulder and tell them I know someone who can give them a 'hug' and a nice, small piece of real estate.  Get ready, Rita.

:(

• Like 11

I think it's worse than April 15, too.  Oh, and about Saturday.  I had a voice mail yesterday, from a client I really love who was sick all winter and got an extension:

"Hey, Rita, I think the deadline is Saturday, so I better get you my stuff by Friday, right?"

I really don't know WTH she's thinking.  It takes me several days in March to get to her return, but I guess she thinks she is the only one who got an extension.  And that I am working Saturday.  She would be wrong.  About everything.  Let me count the ways.  (((Hugs)))

• Like 10

Yes, I've got only one, same one every year, not a simple return, but like pulling teeth all year and now this late hour where I may miss some of the New England foliage..  We'll get it done but at a premium price.

I will be including a brochure to visit the charming countryside of Tennessee, with an equally charming Taxpayer Cemetery caretaker to welcome her with a hug to be sure her space is not too tight.  Thank you Rita, I owe you big time for this!

• Like 8

Tomorrow night I'm going to S. Lake Tahoe to see Brian Wilson perform the entirety of the Pet Sounds album. And then drop off some stuff at the new house. I'm working all day today. There had better be a ton of requested docs in my inbox. I've already to.d my clients that if I don't get the crap by today their returns will get done after I move. AND get my new office set up. Which will be some weeks from now. Or months. 

Or maybe I'll just refer them to Rita. 

• Like 8

I am so glad that I do not do extensions. I could not stand theses clients. After tax season I work two days a week mostly doing representation. I do not understand why these people can not have their stuff ready on time. I understand that people with a lot of K1 s may need extra time I have a few we file on time then amend usually in December or January when they have them all.

• Like 7

I am doing my best but my brain reset itself some time early this week and told me, "THEY haven't cared all year - why should YOU bust your butt to finish?  They still won't get here to SIGN the 8879's on time; you KNOW that."  So I am plugging away and not letting myself (a) stay too late, (b) stress out, or (c) worry about them.   I'm actually not real sure how I feel about this new laissez-faire attitude; it's VERY strange and not my usual.  Over time, I may get to like it.  

• Like 10

The firm where I work part time is closed on Fridays from May 30 to Jan 31.  We publicize that all extended returns must be in our office by Oct. 1.  I had 3 emails at 4:30 today saying they were overnighting their information to us so it would be here Saturday.  Imagine their surprise when we open on Monday...

I agree with Catherine, I am not paid to baby sit irresponsible apathetic people.  9 months is long enough for ANYONE to  collect and gather their tax information.  All of our extended clients have been mailed a reminder letter each month for the last 3 months.  I have a list of 19 that still have not sent information to us.  At least 10 typically owe around $5K.

I have lost all sympathy for those folks.  Let the penalties roll!!!

• Like 8

This post has made me realize 3 things about myself:

1.  I'm not intolerant.

2.  I can be polite as usual, even under extenuating circumstances.

3.  I'm not a son of a bitch, unless I should be, it's those extenuating circumstances that makes everything alright if I tend to lose it a little . 

It's nice to know I'm normal and not alone.   Thanks everyone for saving me a ton of money at the next practitioner therapy session.  I'll be spending the savings on a nice dinner somewhere.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, jasdlm said:

My ATX software crashed today, and I lost 2 1/2 hours worth of work.  The automatic backup, which I enabled, had last 'backed up' 3 hours prior, so it was of no use.  What the Heck?

Did I mention that I really don't care for this week?

The Auto-Save function, which can be set for every 5 minutes, has not been functional since the train-wreck of 2012.  Auto-backup (a different function) works each time you close the file you are working on.

I have complained at least a hundred times to tech support and sales about the auto-save not working, to absolutely no avail.

Going forward, train yourself to click the save button every 5 minutes or so.

If the 2016 program does not have this corrected, I will set my Outlook program to send a complaint e-mail every hour until it is corrected.

soapbox.jpg

• Like 3

we have about 55 still open as of last night and our server crashed.  Our IT guy has been stuck in traffic since around 10:30, an hour trip has not been 4 hours and he says it will be another 1/2 hour to get here then he has to fix it.  None of his remote fixes worked.  I have basically had 6 professional staff, 3 partners, and 3 admins siting around all day till after a late lunch and now they are all going home.

1 hour ago, michaelmars said:

we have about 55 still open as of last night and our server crashed.  Our IT guy has been stuck in traffic since around 10:30, an hour trip has not been 4 hours and he says it will be another 1/2 hour to get here then he has to fix it.  None of his remote fixes worked.  I have basically had 6 professional staff, 3 partners, and 3 admins siting around all day till after a late lunch and now they are all going home.

That really stinks!  It's bad enough that we're all working on a Saturday, but crashing servers and wasted staff time is no good.

• Like 1

Michaelmars, you really were going to give it your all so close to the deadline--fully staffed, ready to roll--but the stars were against you.  Maybe it's time to rethink your dedication to your clients, who when you think about it aren't that deserving of your Herculean effort on their behalf.  I believe I'm starting to feel like Catherine.  While I bend over backwards to complete as many April 15 returns as I can, even for those who deposit their disorganized messes with us on April 10, I am starting to feel differently about Oct 17 stragglers.  It's not like we didn't contact them multiple times to get their act together, or call them repeatedly when they only brought in half the needed info this week.  I caught myself getting frantic about the penalties they'll face, until I realized that here I am caring more about their tax obligations than they do.  Not good.

I worked all day today.  Completed a $2k plus return, looked up basis for stocks purchased decades ago on another and checked everything so it's ready to go when those last two tax docs come in on Monday (maybe), and stopped caring about the others.  One has a kid in college who will have his financial aid rescinded if parents don't file on Oct 17.  Another already owes a zillion dollars and will get hit with a massive failure to file penalty (which the IRS calculates back to April 15 when the return isn't filed by the extension deadline). Even if she brings in the volumes of needed data at 8AM Monday it won't get finished.  Too bad, it's not like we didn't try.  The others I intend to bill for the work already done.   I have 5-10 hours into some returns, and I don't intend to wait until they're finished, if ever, to get paid.  Bills go out this week.

Next year, set a deadline of Oct 1 and don't promise anything to those who show up after that date.  Don't schedule weekend hours to service clients who have been enjoying their weekends for six months and finally woke up.

• Like 6

Not only do I click the save button often; but I also export the return to a jump drive every time I make a major change on it.  Just can't say this often enough.  This also allows me to move the return to another computer if necessary to work on it.  Of course, I am not networked.

• Like 2

Note that the 4838 is a request or application for an automatic extension.  It's not a given.  From the instructions themselves:  "You don’t have to explain why you’re asking for the extension. We’ll contact you only if your request is denied."

If you don't file by the extension deadline, your request is denied and failure to file penalties are assessed back to April 15.  Saw it happen with several clients.  From the IRM: " In the case of an individual, if tax shown on the return is paid after the extended return due date (e.g., with a late filed return), reasonable cause must be shown for the period after the extended due date. If the taxpayer is unable to show that the late payment was due to reasonable cause, the penalty for paying late must be computed from the original return due date, even if 90% of the tax was paid on time and the balance was paid with the late filed return.... The extended due date is used to determine the number of months (if any) that the return and payment are late for the purpose of computing the penalties for filing and paying late. However, the original return due date is used to determine the amount subject to the late filing penalty if the return is not filed by the extended due date. See IRM 20.1.2.2.7.2."

Guess we'll have to get creative with conjuring up "reasonable cause" excuses.  Can anyone offer better wording for lazy, disorganized, better things to do, just don't care?

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

Guess we'll have to get creative with conjuring up "reasonable cause" excuses.  Can anyone offer better wording for lazy, disorganized, better things to do, just don't care?

I don't even try or worry about it.  9 months is enough time for ANYONE to gather and forward tax information.

Penalty?  TOO BAD SO SAD!  (wait till you see MY bill!)

lack.jpg

• Like 2

Many months ago I bought a ticket to see Brian Wilson in concert, even though the show was on 10/14 and in S. Lake Tahoe, a good 2 hour drive. I thought, I'll get everything done early.  Oh yeah, I was optimistic! 

Then it turned out to be a drive in a torrential rainstorm up the mountains, so I stayed up there. Nice rooms at Harrahs Lake Tahoe. :). I didn't think about the returns still on my desk at all. About 30 for which I've been waiting on this or that piece of information, some of them for months. In the case of one guy, his 1095-As for both 2015 and 2014.

then there's the ones I've finished but they won't either pick them up or send back the 8879s. 4 of those. I know where Catherine is; I'm there too. I'm not chasing after anyone.  I have 4 returns I'm still working on, one in the hopper to be picked up tomorrow and 1 amendment and a couple back returns I was contracted to do, that I'll finish up on Tuesday. That's it. Then I'm moving. Anyone else that sends in that last bit of stuff will be done next month or so. 

Retiring is starting to look appealing. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, SaraEA said:

Note that the 4838 is a request or application for an automatic extension.  It's not a given.  From the instructions themselves:  "You don’t have to explain why you’re asking for the extension. We’ll contact you only if your request is denied."

If you don't file by the extension deadline, your request is denied and failure to file penalties are assessed back to April 15.  Saw it happen with several clients.  From the IRM: " In the case of an individual, if tax shown on the return is paid after the extended return due date (e.g., with a late filed return), reasonable cause must be shown for the period after the extended due date. If the taxpayer is unable to show that the late payment was due to reasonable cause, the penalty for paying late must be computed from the original return due date, even if 90% of the tax was paid on time and the balance was paid with the late filed return.... The extended due date is used to determine the number of months (if any) that the return and payment are late for the purpose of computing the penalties for filing and paying late. However, the original return due date is used to determine the amount subject to the late filing penalty if the return is not filed by the extended due date. See IRM 20.1.2.2.7.2."

Among the many things I like about this forum, I rate "learning something new" at the top of the list. Sometimes I think we should be able to count participation here as CE. 

I never knew that a mlssed extension date essentially voided the extension, but I'm sure it will be useful information at some point in the future.  Thanks Sara

• Like 6