ATX Community

now password has to be changed every so many days!

schirallicpa

Same here.  Makes you wonder how many more hoop-jumpers "they" can come up with; the triple-column 8867, the long just-so password, the annoying 30 minute time-out (haven't tried that workaround posted here yet), and the password-change notice that just now popped up.  Between engagement letters, affadavits swearin' it's all true, privacy notices, and this junk I sometimes wonder that there's time to do any actual tax-work.   

• Like 4

This is entire password required thing is complete BS....  It's just me...in my home-office.  I'm OK with password required upon opening the program, but the entire timing-out thing and now being required to change the password?  c'mon...tax season is filled with enough tantrum inducing stressors as it is.

I'm having a drink

• Like 6

I entirely agree.  My computer has a login and password and, of course, the program once - I wish still!  But it's just me in my home office.  Changing every 90 days isn't too awful but this time out thing is driving me, well, I'm ready for a drink, too.

You know, sometimes you just have to look through some papers, maybe answer the phone, look up a reference, double check something in last year's return and BAM! locked out.  Grrrrr.... This is about the umpteenth time I've said retirement is looking better by the week, sometimes by the day.  I do want to get through this and 2 more tax seasons to wring out the most from my license but am sorely tempted.....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lynn EA in Louisiana said:

I changed only the last character and it passed muster. 

Take whatever password you used and add a 1 to it.  Next prompt, change the 1 to a 2.  Rinse and repeat.  Once you get up to 9, you might be able to go back to 1 - or put it at the beginning instead of the end.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Catherine said:

Take whatever password you used and add a 1 to it.  Next prompt, change the 1 to a 2.  Rinse and repeat.  Once you get up to 9, you might be able to go back to 1 - or put it at the beginning instead of the end.

That's generally my method but with the complex style and my software requiring at least 2 changes (so 12 becomes 23?), I have a print out taped to my laptop with my 2 tax software passwords. When they have to be so freakin complex PLUS they change so often, I'll never remember it and I take my laptop with me. Plus my software has a 15 minute kick out so that means I'm entering it 10x per day.

Horrific system. The computer is encrypted so nobody is hacking into it. Literally to get into my tax software from boot up in the morning I have to enter 3 different passwords.

• Like 2

I have some that require 20% be changed, so I have a ten-character password where I change two characters for those requirements.  I have some that can't take my last four or last 20, yes 20, passwords that are more challenging.  And, then there's the online banking and pension websites for our church that I have to make the changes that two other treasurers and our bookkeeper can use also (all part-timers and only one paid, so lots of hands/eyes on our finances).  Hubby uses Dashlane.  I keep a BOOK.  Separated from my computer.  But, if anyone stole my book, he could get into anything and everything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

I keep a BOOK.

For my "daily" passwords I have taken to using 1Password (password manager) on the computer.  However, for the long lists of "never use this again" especially where there are rules that have to be obeyed but are NOT presented until you try something (sorry, must be 9-23 characters; sorry, MUST include special character *^%# or @; sorry must NOT include special characters *^%# or @; etc) I have a password-protected Word document that lives on an encrypted drive.  Last time I checked it was TWENTY-EIGHT PAGES long.  And yeah, if someone manages to hack into that, I might as well convert everything I own to cash, store the cash in a safe, and never attempt to go online again.

• Like 3

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, lynn EA in Louisiana said:

Today I received the prompt to change my ATXpassword. I changed only the last character and it passed muster. 

Aren't you devious. Me too, but I one-upped you by adding a dollar sign to mine and it flew on through.  They'll never break our James Bond style secret codes now with all this disguising stuff. :D

• Like 5