Jump to content
ATX Community
ILLMAS

IRS nationwide tax forum

Recommended Posts

Who else has signed up for it?  I usually try to make it when it comes to my city, unfortunately it’s virtual this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did, first time because it's virtual.  At $8/hour cpe, it seemed a good price.  Besides, with no travel this summer, and only 2 hours per day, coffee in the morning, adult beverage in the afternoon, could be worse!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have almost all my cpe hours for the year, and have been pondering what else to do.  This year there are a slew of excellent short courses all online that I've found really useful.  Maybe I'll take a look at the course listing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was planning to go to Dallas until they went virtual.   I love the Gaylord Texan and there is a BBQ joint not too far away that I was looking forward to eating at.    I am really bummed.

I am waiting to see if NATP holds their Las Vegas Seminar September 29-30.   As of right now, they have not cancelled, so I am still holding out hope.   If they go virtual on that, I will just pick up the CPE I need from Spidell or ClientWhys online.   I still need 10 hours this year.

Tom
Modesto, CA   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think so for this year.  I checked the course list, and having already purchased an unlimited webinars and self-study package elsewhere, my time and resources will be better spent in other subjects than those that are being offered.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in my 1st year of the 3 year CE cycle. I've already done 25 hours of CE, will do 15 more over the next week or two.

 

Every time I've done the webinar route like Tax Forum is doing or gone to a major forum event - about 1/2 way through I'm zoning out and wondering why on earth I ever thought it was a good idea for me. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the Enrolled Agent CE requirement, it doesn't include courses focused on state forms does it? I thought I read that it only works on federal tax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roberts said:

For the Enrolled Agent CE requirement, it doesn't include courses focused on state forms does it? I thought I read that it only works on federal tax

You are correct.   I lose 2 hours of CPE every year when I do my Federal/State update class.   I don't get credit for the 2 hours they spend on California compliance/non-compliance.

Tom
Modesto, CA

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone who does ANY kind of representation work, may I recommend the Green & Sklarz (tax attorney) webinars?  A lot of the short ones (one and two hour) are FREE, and they have four-hour in-depth webinars on audits, OICs, and more.  

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Catherine said:

For anyone who does ANY kind of representation work, may I recommend the Green & Sklarz (tax attorney) webinars?  A lot of the short ones (one and two hour) are FREE, and they have four-hour in-depth webinars on audits, OICs, and more.  

Thanks, Catherine.

For anyone else interested, there are still 2 upcoming webinars, free.

  • July 10th is on Resolving Back Tax Debts, and
  • Aug 7th is on Penalties and Penalty Abatement

Here's a link to the signup page:  https://gs-lawfirm.com/program-associated-hcm-speaker-series/#1586273492438-0c7ffa89-27fd

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can watch their previous ones for free but not receive credit. I like free.

Canopy Tax has free webinars you can watch whenever you want for free and get CE credit.

 

Just had a weird tax client phone call. He insists I told him to not make his January 15th estimated tax payment because of the virus and the IRS had delayed everything. Told him the IRS didn't delay anything until mid-March and I hadn't even heard of the virus in early January. He still insists I told him that back in December!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Roberts said:

You can watch their previous ones for free but not receive credit. I like free.

Canopy Tax has free webinars you can watch whenever you want for free and get CE credit.

 

Just had a weird tax client phone call. He insists I told him to not make his January 15th estimated tax payment because of the virus and the IRS had delayed everything. Told him the IRS didn't delay anything until mid-March and I hadn't even heard of the virus in early January. He still insists I told him that back in December!

The IRA notice extending dates for filing and tax payments wasn't issued until Mar 21.  If you verbally deny, or argue about what the client said, it will fall on deaf ears.

However, if you show the client something in writing that backs you up, it will almost always be accepted

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/payment-deadline-extended-to-july-15-2020

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roberts said:

You can watch their previous ones for free but not receive credit. I like free.

Canopy Tax has free webinars you can watch whenever you want for free and get CE credit.

 

Just had a weird tax client phone call. He insists I told him to not make his January 15th estimated tax payment because of the virus and the IRS had delayed everything. Told him the IRS didn't delay anything until mid-March and I hadn't even heard of the virus in early January. He still insists I told him that back in December!

Yesterday I told a client, normally we "accountant/tax preparer" get the blame anyways, we were talking about reasonable compensation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Catherine said:

For anyone who does ANY kind of representation work, may I recommend the Green & Sklarz (tax attorney) webinars?  A lot of the short ones (one and two hour) are FREE, and they have four-hour in-depth webinars on audits, OICs, and more.  

Does it include reported CPE hours, or is it just informational?

Tom
Modesto, CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

Does it include reported CPE hours, or is it just informational?

Tom
Modesto, CA

Reported CPE hours.

Judy beat me to posting the next online classes (THANK YOU, @jklcpa for doing that).  It was a busy day.  They have an interesting attendance scheme, too.  Instead of survey questions, they post key words.  You get a link at session end to enter those words, and your certificate gets sent within a few minutes of entering the key words.  The biggest problem they have is certificate emails ending up in spam filters.

With the longer sessions, you get your credit as of the minute they issue the last key word, but Eric will frequently stay on the webinar for any questions people have, and he will stay on until every question has been answered.  Today's class went a half-hour over, and I kept listening because the questions were so good!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Catherine said:

Reported CPE hours.

Judy beat me to posting the next online classes (THANK YOU, @jklcpa for doing that).  It was a busy day.  They have an interesting attendance scheme, too.  Instead of survey questions, they post key words.  You get a link at session end to enter those words, and your certificate gets sent within a few minutes of entering the key words.  The biggest problem they have is certificate emails ending up in spam filters.

With the longer sessions, you get your credit as of the minute they issue the last key word, but Eric will frequently stay on the webinar for any questions people have, and he will stay on until every question has been answered.  Today's class went a half-hour over, and I kept listening because the questions were so good!  

Do you handle much representation work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roberts said:

Do you handle much representation work?

I do some (and what I've learned from Eric has been super-helpful).  I am expecting that in the next year or three we will see a huge uptick in representation work, between the PPP and EIDL and stimulus payments and unemployment and trust fund taxes and missed estimated payments and... and... and... Anyway it looks like it could be bad, and forewarned is forearmed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, have been slowly acquiring information and have done only a few actual cases thus far. I think it's a lucrative area and I think it's going to explode but thus far what I've done isn't exactly enjoyable work. Several years ago I did the American Society of Tax Problem Solvers boot camp (dvds) - sadly that was limited to OICs but had decent information.

 

Jassen Bowman and his Tax Resolution Training videos on Youtube (free) are rather informative.

 

Locally we have several law firms that are advertising tax resolution work non-stop.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, Catherine said:

For anyone who does ANY kind of representation work, may I recommend the Green & Sklarz (tax attorney) webinars?  A lot of the short ones (one and two hour) are FREE, and they have four-hour in-depth webinars on audits, OICs, and more.  

They are great!  Good people.  Very knowledgeable. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year, @RitaB and I had a blast in Roanoke at the NATP forum. We didn't learn a whole lot, but MAN IT WAS FUN! We even got snowed in and watched the worst movie EVER in the universe. The Crown Salted Caramel was good though, so we got over the movie real fast. 

Oops, did I say too much? 

This year, I'll be taking online CE. I have a lot of free credits hanging from TTB. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Possi said:

Last year, @RitaB and I had a blast in Roanoke at the NATP forum. We didn't learn a whole lot, but MAN IT WAS FUN! We even got snowed in and watched the worst movie EVER in the universe. The Crown Salted Caramel was good though, so we got over the movie real fast. 

Oops, did I say too much? 

This year, I'll be taking online CE. I have a lot of free credits hanging from TTB. 

I am still mad about Ryan Reynolds being in a box underground for two hours and not making it out alive.  Who comes up with this stuff??  Why, Donna, why??

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, RitaB said:

I am still mad about Ryan Reynolds being in a box underground for two hours and not making it out alive.  Who comes up with this stuff??  Why, Donna, why??

I feel ya.... two hours we will never get back... we could have been sipping Starbucks laced with Bailey's while eyeballing airline pilots in the lobby... Oh, for second chances. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...