ATX Community

Tax Organizers

It has been frustrating with some clients to ask them to fill out tax organizers.  Some of them even wanted me to ask them the questions directly rather than completing the forms.  There is no way I spend that amount of time to ask something that's already printed out in the tax organizer with every single client during this limited time of tax season, let alone they wouldn't want to pay for that time.  Can anyone kindly share their experiences or strategies?  

We send out a document checklist.

There is ONE client who requests (and fills out) an organizer. Almost anyone else who ever got one fills out a couple of tiny items, then writes "see attached" everywhere else. I want the original docs, so that's what we request.

• Like 1

Last year all of my clients except one filled out their tax organizer.

Although I did hand back their documents to 2 clients and told them to come back when it was filled out.

If you don't have them fill out an organizer, how do you find out when there are changes in their tax situation,

which they otherwise might forget?

I used to provide one on request but then I thought about what a litigious society we live in--"you never asked me about selling stuff on Ebay".  So I send one out to every client with my annual letter.  Also, my client agreement states "I am not responsible for information missing from the return that was not provided to me." Just my effort to CMA.

I've never used organizers and never will.  Some I've seen are more complex that completing a return.

I mail 4 pages in January.  One is my letter where I discuss recent legislation and other things I want to discuss.  Second is basic info such as phone, email, cyrpto, foreign accounts, estimated payments and lines for them to enter any changes they want to make me aware of or discuss.  Third is sheet for dependents with yes/no questions that I need to complete 8867 or know to ask more questions.  Fourth is checklist of items in 4 parts; part 1 is income items which includes a line "any other items of income", part 2 is for adjustment items, part 3 is for itemized deductions and part 4 is for credits and state specific items.  Just a one line description as a trigger of what forms or documents I'm looking for.  At bottom is a place to sign that they reviewed the list and provided documents on it that pertain to their situation. 

When preparing the return I open the pdf of prior year documents to see if they may have missed something such as an investment statement, 1099R, etc.  Also if code W on w-2 I specifically ask about 1099SA.  

• Like 2

I only give them to clients who request them.  That equals about 3 to 4 clients.  Otherwise they bring them back still in the envelope.  These days, I email Organizers to those who want them and let them print them out on their paper.

• Like 2

I gave up on organizers long ago.  However, if they are a Sch C, I send them a work sheet.  This works out well most of the time.  I did have one client that entered their Gross Sales to include his UI ($27K) and his wife's W-2 ($50K).  I questioned him o how he came up with his numbers and that's when it came out.  No harm done.

• Like 3

Organizers are just too long and most clients don't bother with them.  Others start asking for them Jan 2 as it helps them figure out what they need to provide.  We now use a 2-page questionnaire that addresses most of the issues we need to ask about, e.g., changes in bank accounts, dependents, foreign accounts, HSAs, insurance subsidies, gig economy jobs, use tax, etc. For most of the questions clients check a Yes or No box, and a few have lines for amounts or explanations.  We insist that all clients fill it out, and most do without prompting.  It's just easier than pages and pages of organizer and covers the same ground.  We don't bother telling Sch C and E filers to give us their income and expenses; they already know that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

I've never used organizers and never will.  Some I've seen are more complex that completing a return.

This right here. Some new clients come in and are so used to spending hours filling out and reviewing their "organizer" that it's sad. I have a bunch of new clients from a CPA who told everyone he might be retiring and then didn't - they keep bringing in these 16 page organizers that they hold in their hands as if they are the holy grail I need to fill out their return.

I don't give them a choice.  For the ones who whine, I tell them that most of those questions are ones we're required to ask, and that they don't have to fill out the wage/int/1099-R pages, just check to be sure they're giving me each of those forms.  A few try the "but I have a spreadsheet" route, but I tell them that if II have to transfer that to the organizer I'll charge them.

• Like 4

I started with HRB years ago, so did a face-to-face interview; NO organizers. Because most of my clients followed me, they weren't trained to use organizers. Some new clients have brought in their organizers (from last year's preparer) over the years -- but lots of blank pages and missing government forms, so really weren't trained to use them, either!

I give document/information lists to a few, and 1-2 ask for a list each year. My software helps me identify missing documents/information, because it's all continuing clients, almost never a new client. (No time for any more clients.) I'm totally virtual now (so many clients moved all over the country even before Covid, and others don't want to take the time to drive on these congested roads) so portal, telephone, email, even Zoom make picking up missing information easy. The most frequently missed item of CT clients is car tax, but it's a benefit in only some circumstances, and almost every CT town has paid property taxes online.