ATX Community

External Backup hard drive

cred65

I prefer the flash drive.

taxbilly

Beware: flash drives can (and DO) fail without warning. If that's your only backup, at least use multiples.

What do you want from the external hard drive? Network access to files? Daily backup of returns? Ease of taking work home; just pick up the drive and go? All those can change the type of drive and setup thereof. So, more details, please.

Catherine

Beware: flash drives can (and DO) fail without warning. If that's your only backup, at least use multiples.

What do you want from the external hard drive? Network access to files? Daily backup of returns? Ease of taking work home; just pick up the drive and go? All those can change the type of drive and setup thereof. So, more details, please.

Catherine

I just want a backup of my system and data files that will automatically perform this at off peak times.

I just want a backup of my system and data files that will automatically perform this at off peak times.

More important than the drive, then (assuming you pick decent hardware), will be your backup software. We've been very happy with Acronis True Image. Personally, I don't use the scheduled task for automatic backup, but don't see why it shouldn't work as well as the rest of the system.

Catherine

Think as if all media will fail (it will) and all computers will fail or "walk" away. Multiple backups stored in multiple locations are a must for "real" backups.

Make a recovery plan and test it!

Can you recover from a media failure?

From a power outage?

From a computer failure?

From a computer theft?

If you can't get to your computer's location for several days?

If your phone is out of order for a day?

If your internet connection is down?

I use Iomega Rev with Ghost for full backups. Also export each file as I work on it to Iomega Zip disks. Do daily incremental backups to Iomega Backup Pro on Rev Drive. Pricey, but has worked well for years and I can keep the two alternating disks in the safe for both desktop and laptop.

I had at least three rotating flash drives until someone mentioned how easy it is to have one stolen or lose it; and it can't be password protected. The IT folks at my husband's school system recommended a Seagate external drive. I was using it and thinking of getting a second to keep off site. I like the external drive, so if something happens to my computer, I can just plug it in to my husband's computer and be back in business until I get a more permanent solution. Also, I can grab it and run (a nor'easter or power outage or...) and get up and running with a rental or at the library or friend's home. Instead of another external drive (I have a home office, so no convenient off-site place to store it that I can get to 24/7) I went with storage at VMS as my second "external drive." They set it up for me to run automatically according to my schedule. I feel calmer knowing I have my tax returns and other data files stored away from home, but I can get to them. You can check with Kyle, but I think their prices start at $50/year depending on how much storage you require. In other words, to back-up my hard drive, I have the Seagate external here and VMS off-site.

I had at least three rotating flash drives until someone mentioned how easy it is to have one stolen or lose it; and it can't be password protected.

I use encryption software on my desktop. It can also encrypt external hard drives and flash drives. The software license allows for this. But not addional computers such as a laptop. I use PGP for the encryption. Hopefully, if I lose a flashdrive or it's stolen, the info is protected.

And frankly, since in our business, our computers and our databases are our lives, double protection is not enough, you should always have a minimum of three different backup sources.

Ditto and more!!

I have MozyPro online secure backup that does a daily backup in the background. I have it set for "faster backup, slower computer" but have noticed NO diminution of computer speed with that. We have on-site backup hard drive that happens (...not as often as it should) for "cold-metal restore" capability, as MozyPro does DATA, not executables or system. That on-site mirrors itself to a second drive weekly (automatically), and the mirrored disk gets swapped regularly with an identical one in an off-site safe deposit box. Then I close every tax year by putting pdf's of all returns and scanned original documents on an archive-quality, gold-coated CD or DVD, which also goes into the safe box.

On another forum I read, one man a couple years ago had his office burgled during tax season; all computers and peripherals taken. Thanks to an auto-backup system and an external hard drive he took home daily, they lost NO work, just ("just" -- hollow laugh) a couple days to replace equipment and re-load programs. Learned my lesson from his story!

Catherine

That's why I'm backing up to VMS. My office is in my home so I'd lose everything in a robbery or fire or flood, and waiting for Monday morning when the bank opens...

Thank for the info on encryption. Maybe I'll return to my rotating flash drives, too. They're so handy, especially during tax season when I want VERY frequent back-ups.

VMS uses Corbian to back-up.

That's correct, we do use Cobain for client backups. It's a great piece of software and it is very secure. Best thing of all it's an Open Source program so it's free. This would help if you have an external hard drive, or you own FTP site where you can upload the data to. Cobain is the essential link to get that info there. It's what sets the automatic updates and distinguishes what needs to be backed up and what does not according to your needs.

I don't want to throw a plug in here, but Lion mentioned some pricing for us and I just wanted to elaborate a little more. If you have a Technical Support package with VMSUS, for $50 more annually, you will get 2GB of off-site storage. For only $100 annually, you get 5GB. If you do not have a Technical Support package, the pricing is a little more.

If anyone wants a brochure mailed, emailed, faxed or hand delivered, just let me know and I will get that out right away! Well, maybe not the hand delivered part, but I sure would like to get out of this arctic weather we are having!

<snip>

If anyone wants a brochure mailed, emailed, faxed or hand delivered, just let me know and I will get that out right away! Well, maybe not the hand delivered part, but I sure would like to get out of this arctic weather we are having!

You're welcome down here tomorrow to help me dig out from the foot of snow we're expected to get. ;-)

And when my current subscription runs out, I will be checking you folks for online backup.

catherine

Oh geez, thanks <joelgilb>. I always spell it "Cobain," because my favorite band of all time is Nirvana and their lead singer was named Kurt Cobain. So when I try explaining it, or typing out Cobian, Cobain automatically comes out as that is what's on my mind. Thanks so much for the correction and giving a heads up. Sorry to everyone. :scratch_head:

Oh geez, thanks <joelgilb>. I always spell it "Cobain," because my favorite band of all time is Nirvana and their lead singer was named Kurt Cobain. So when I try explaining it, or typing out Cobian, Cobain automatically comes out as that is what's on my mind. Thanks so much for the correction and giving a heads up. Sorry to everyone. :scratch_head:

Gee, I was thinking "Nirvana backup".... Smells Like Tax Spirit? B)