ATX Community

Not Tax - What is your area famous for

BulldogTom

I live in Orlando, FL., (actually Maitland but close enough) enough said. However I am from Lime Dale Indiana. Famous for:

1. The five houses, a church, and the concrete plant it has,

2. Two stop signs, with a total of three roads, Lime Dale has no streets, byways, or boulevards,

3. Not being on very many maps, or on just a few maps,

4. Home of the crossroads to nowhere, as compared to Indianapolis, Crossroads of America,

5. Former home to me, in that I am the most famous person to every live in Lime Dale.

Actually, I am not sure about number 5, I needed something to place as number 5. I could not find anybody from Lime Dale, other than myself, so I claimed the title.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, isn't Chicago the home of deep dish pizza?

I grew up in Bellwood, IL, home of

Eugene Cernon, astronaut

Sanford Ink Company, maker of Magic Markers

a singer who's name escapes me went to Proviso East High School

once was the largest train yard, maybe still is

then I grew up and lived in Santa Barbara, CA, the bedroom community for LA

and moved to Weston, CT, the bedroom community for NYC

Williams, CA - I-5 & Hwy 20 Central Sacramento Valley

Home of Granzella's Restaurant (Stopping place for folks going north from Sacramento or points southern frm there)

Granzella's burned down in October, 2007 and was rebuilt and opened again in July, 2008

Cairo's Steakhouse Western & Italian cruisine - There are Western Brands branded into wood moldings throughout the restaurant and bar.

Sacramento Valley Museum A trip into the past, especially of this part of the Sacramento Valley

A genuine small agricultural community, yet is it a small city of abt 5,200 population in Colusa County (Rice, Almonds, Tomatoes) The tomato processing plant is one of the best in the U S of A.

Stop by for a visit on your next trip north on I-5, good food and good people!

Not bad for a dude raised in northeastern OH, near Lake Erie & Pymatuning Lake-where the ducks walk on the fishes backs (Quite a sight to see).

Daune/CA

Hamburg (Buffalo) NY

1) Chicken wings - -Anchor Bar

2) Bflo Bills, Sabers, Bisons

3) snow - - - snow - - -more snow BUT - - -also the Miami of the north - -we have MORE sunshine in the summer than Miami

4) fabulous architecture - -boon town in 1901 when we had the Pan am Expo ( and sadly killed a president)

5) the city of good neighbors!

Now in Sacramento, CA, but originally from Pittsburgh, PA.

Pgh:

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

2. We have both a Carnegie Library and a Carnegie Museum. Pronounced Car-NEG-ie BTW.

3. Primanti's sandwiches, with the fries and cole slaw on the sandwich

4. Steel, iron etc, until the industries went bust in the 80's. Detroit, you can survive the loss of the auto industry if you play your cards right, but it ain't pretty.

5. Kennywood Park, once the 'Roller Coaster Capital of the World' with three wooden roller coasters, & 1 moster steel thing, two of the wooden ones built in the 1920s.

Sacramento:

1. Tomatoes

2. Blue Diamond Almonds (pronounced A-mands if you are a grower)

3. The Governator

4. Around the 5th worst real estate market in the country.

5. Home of the most dysfunctional legislature in history. If there is one worse, you'll have to prove it.

For CO:

1) Snow

2) Snow

3) Snow

I went to a convention in CO (Colorado State University, maybe) the end of June one year; we bussed up to Estes Park on our free time. It started snowing while we were on the bus. The driver had to stop to let the girls from down south get off and play in the snow that they'd never seen for real before!

My hometown is Worcester MA (not where I live now), so my list is a bit mixed:

1. Lexington Minuteman Statue (center of the town I live in)

2. the Smiley face (Harvey Ball of Worcester created but never copyrighted or trademarked it).

3. Mosquitos, poison ivy, and seriously invasive Japanese bittersweet vines.

A&W is my _favorite_ brand of root beer!

Catherine

Gee, how could I forget them? Add also, Stevie Ray Vaughan. There's a statue of him by Lady Bird Lake (used to be Town Lake).

@Kyle -- San Antonio is nice, too. Only problem is that it is too big for me. Not as big as Houston (where I grew up), but still too big. Austin starting to get there, unfortunately.

I know about 6th street; my son went there the night before his brother's wedding in Kyle, Tx at the home of very good friends of ours. We love Tx Hill Country but have not been there for a while. Some of our best friends are there. Even though we live in WI, our son chose to be married in Kyle on the banks of the Blanco. And, yes, San Antonio is very nice too. San Marcos is where George Strait got his start. And don't forget Willie's ranch in Dripping Springs and the impressive Johnson Ranch.

Spalding County, Georgia (about 40 miles south of Atlanta):

1. Home of John Henry ("Doc") Holliday, western gambler and gunfighter. His father was the first Clerk of Court of Spalding County; Doc practiced dentistry in Griffin after the WBTS but went west because of tuberculosis.

2. At one time, Spalding County was the pimento capital of the nation.

3. When I was growing up, the dominant industry was cotton mills. Now the jobs and equipment have been exported and most of the mills razed. The dominant industry now is the highway to Atlanta and Macon for jobs.

Jonesboro, AR:

1. The city is known as the city of churches as it has more than seventy five churches in it. For a city of 55,515, [as of the 2000 Census].

2. Also, the Islamic center of the state is located here.

3. Home of Hattie Caraway, the first woman to ever be ELECTED to the US Senate.

4. Birthplace of the author John Grisham .

5. Birthplace of Rodger Bumpass - the voice of Squidward Tentacles on SpongeBob SquarePants.

6. In the 1950s, Jonesboro was home to the Bartleby Clown College, an institution for the training of circus performers. The college ultimately proved unsuccessful and closed in 1959. The founding president, Steven Teske, went on to take a leadership position with Ringling Brothers Circus.

Boy, everybody has something nice to say about their town. I had to really think about mine.

1. Part of the movie Jason was filmed in the center of town at the library.

2. The home of Princess Doe found dead on the road, buried by the locals.

3. 2nd in the state for house fires (son is member of Fire Department).

4. In the area we have street named "Cementary Road", "Shades of Death Road", streams called "the kill" (named after the Paulinson Kill).

5. Very lovely town, when I moved here it had a radio station, airport, railroad, theater. The radio station is now a santation business and the rails on the railroad are gone. People are very friendly and your neighbor can be a mile away. I love it here.

Home town: Suburb of the "Gateway to the West":

The arch

The Zoo

Forest Park

6 Flags over Mid-America

The home of OldJack

---

After tax season it will be:

"Bart's" home town-

Kansas City, MO

Bar-B-Que

Fountains

Jazz

Liberty Memorial

Home of OldJack

I would like to welcome you to Kansas City soon. What about Anhuser Busch?

Greenville, Ohio

Origin was Fort Greenville where General "Mad Anthony" Wayne negotiated the Treaty of Greenville between the tribal confederacy and the United States, which was signed on August 3, 1795. The treaty gave most of what is now Ohio to the United States, and cleared the way for that state to enter the Union in 1803.

My house/office sits inside the original boundries of the fort (That may win you a trivial pursuit game someday...)

Birthplace of Annie Oakley (We have a statue of her at the end of Broadway)

The MaidRite sandwich shop. (Known nationwide for the gumwall on the east side of the building and the best ground beef sandwich east of the Mississippi.

Our city is mentioned in the song "Comin' To Your City" by Big and Rich.

Birthplace Zachary Lansdowne, Commander of The USS Shenandoah the first US zeppelin to be produced by the Navy.

Count seat of Darke County.

Home to the Great Darke County Fair. By far the best county fair in the country.

Approx 40 miles from Janitor Bob. (I saved the best for last)

I would like to welcome you to Kansas City soon. What about Anhuser Busch?

Thanks. I am looking forward to the move to KC as soon as our new home is finished. As to Anheuser Busch, we no longer claim foreign corporations in STL. LOL

I did not list the St. Louis City Museum as most would not understand that this is a "play museum" for the kids (and seniors that think like a kid). It is without doubt the greatest indoor/outdoor playground ever created! Kids can crawl thru mash wire tunnels that are suspended 3 stories high outside of a building. If you are ever in St. Louis you must visit.