ATX Community

NT / Client is Sitting Here Working on 2009

RitaB

Client just bounced in, today, March 1, 2011: "Hey, I think you needed some info off my laptop to finish 2009."

Well, thank God I kept a record of what I told him I needed. The list is a mile long. I gave it to him in August. "Here you go. Have a seat and knock yourself out."

He is sittin in here sweatin it out wondering why I couldn't do it for him. Hey, Geek Squad, you put it on the computer, you get it off the computer. Unbelievable.

LOL. He just said, "Well, this is gonna take longer than I thought."

Now his cell phone is ringing. I see a fee increase in his future. Well, it will start with 2009 return...

Not intending to "one up" you, but I finished a 2005 in January and have 2006 - 2009 (we are not even thinking about 2010 yet) setting here. I will squeeze in 2006 sometime this month to keep the IRS at bay, but the rest will wait until May. And this guy has something like "DR." in front of his name.

New client comes in on Monday. Very nice and sincere couple. However, they need help because they sold a cabin property that was converted to rental in 1984. She has all the proper (?) depreciation, etc done in pencil for the original cabin and the addition and the garage and all of the updates over the years. I'm not worried about that because I used to do depreciation that way myself. However, in the course of speaking to them, she said that "We didn't file for the past three years because we didn't owe and everyone told us that if you don't owe you don't have to file." The kicker here is that they have a Sch E and a Sch C for a small grass mowing business which he receives a 1099 for. Am I not correct that as long as you have an E or a C, you have to file forever until you discontinue both?

They have always prepared their own taxes and, believe me, she has a car full of paper to prove it. She has saved everything! I am actually excited about finding the time to dive into this one. What a challenge. They said I came highly recommended so I cannot let them down.

SInce some of the filing requirements refer to GROSS income, such as on Sch E, they have to file even with losses. Explain to them that the IRS knows only their revenues via the Forms 1099 and not their expenses until they file. In fact, if possible NOLs, wouldn't they want to file?

SInce some of the filing requirements refer to GROSS income, such as on Sch E, they have to file even with losses. Explain to them that the IRS knows only their revenues via the Forms 1099 and not their expenses until they file. In fact, if possible NOLs, wouldn't they want to file?

They don't know anything about NOLs, but it wouldn't affect them anyway. They are both now retired and on SS. The rental income will now be gone, but the grass mowing is ongoing and minimal, but he DOES get a 1099. I am pretty sure they have no tax liability for the years they didn't file, but the requirement is still there. When things settle down, I will be inputting the years they didn't file just to make sure and let them file them if the IRS doesn't get there first. It just goes to show that sometimes there is a "need" for our profession.

If you have self-employment income, isn't the filing requirement $400? After that point, you might be liable for some self-employment taxes.

Yes.....I wonder what I will find because his 1099 is for a little over $2000; but, of course, he will have expenses and mileage. When I mentioned SE tax, they had never heard of it. Actually, I felt sorry for them because they are obviously the most honest of people. I just have to get through this year first. Their CG is going to be huge as well as the ordinary income from the add-back for depreciation. They are prepared to pay. When I explained to the the adding back of the depreciation because they had taken it as a deduction all of those years; they DID understand, just had no idea. I am just thankful that they asked around and didn't go to HRB. I have the huge advantage of all of you to help me if I get stuck on this one.

I'm working on a guy who hasn't filed since 2001 (health problems, then he never caught up as it was overwhelming). Son is the go-between as dad is up to answering questions or telling son where to look. Every time we turn around, it's something new.

Now it turns out that he and his wife have been separated for umpty bazillion years and while she files single now (and has "for a few years") at least for the first few years the status was MFS. So now we need to know if _she_ itemized or used standard deduction, etc. At least she'll understand the issues because she used to work for the IRS!

Maybe, [you can at least hope] since she worked for the IRS, she actually got around to making it a legal separation. Son might not even be aware of that detail, as it would not seem important to him. Maybe he can have her call you?

That's the idea; no call today, though. (Just as well; I have a _horrid_ cold and sound like a caricature of someone with a cold - great impression that would make on a stranger.)

Client just bounced in, today, March 1, 2011: "Hey, I think you needed some info off my laptop to finish 2009."

Well, thank God I kept a record of what I told him I needed. The list is a mile long. I gave it to him in August. "Here you go. Have a seat and knock yourself out."

He is sittin in here sweatin it out wondering why I couldn't do it for him. Hey, Geek Squad, you put it on the computer, you get it off the computer. Unbelievable.

LOL. He just said, "Well, this is gonna take longer than I thought."

Now his cell phone is ringing. I see a fee increase in his future. Well, it will start with 2009 return...

RitaB, you need to put a trap door under your office chairs, you can use it to get rid of clients or to escape from them. I wish the easy button would do the trick.

They don't know anything about NOLs, but it wouldn't affect them anyway. They are both now retired and on SS. The rental income will now be gone, but the grass mowing is ongoing and minimal, but he DOES get a 1099. I am pretty sure they have no tax liability for the years they didn't file, but the requirement is still there. When things settle down, I will be inputting the years they didn't file just to make sure and let them file them if the IRS doesn't get there first. It just goes to show that sometimes there is a "need" for our profession.

>>When things settle down, I will be inputting the years they didn't file just to make sure and let them file them if the IRS doesn't get there first.<<

Be sure to do 2007 first before that year closes in April. If you find you have an NOL that year you will carryback and perhaps wipe out some previous tax.

taxbilly

Sorry to hear you have a cold. Keep in mind the latest studies have found that straight honey is a better cough med than any of the over the counter cough syrups. Honey and lemon juice, or honey and bourbon if you prefer, is even better, as the first version cuts the over-sweet taste and the second will help you sleep. <_<

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you have a cold. Keep in mind the latest studies have found that straight honey is a better cough med than any of the over the counter cough syrups. Honey and lemon juice, or honey and bourbon if you prefer, is even better, as the first version cuts the over-sweet taste and the second will help you sleep. <_<

Straight JD Single Barrel works the best, especially after the last client of the day.