ATX Community

NT - Vacation

L.S.

My husband lost his job Friday so there won't be any vacation for me. He carried the insurance so we have to pray that he can find a job with benefits or I will have to decide if I need to go work for somebody else. His cardiologist says that he technically qualifies for disability with his heart failure and defibrillator but that it can take several years before he actually gets it. I have never had such a terrible tax season in over 30 years.

NECPA - you too can vacation. Join me at Veranda Beach!!! I have been to all of the other places mentioned in this thread, but my heart lives at Veranda Beach!!! This time of year my heart more and more longs to be there. The scenery's not the best, but the people are friendly and the prices are reasonable.

My heart does go out to you and I will pray that you will know that God will find a way, when there seems to be no way! He works in ways we can not see. He will make a way for you. God Bless!

Thanks! That did make me feel better. It is so hard because he is just destroyed mentally and physically and it takes so much time to help him look for and apply for jobs. Everything is online now and he is not an expert like me with the Internet. Thankfully, I got my step-daughter to come over this weekend and help him with a resume. He has applied for 4 jobs now online, they are less than 1/2 of what he was making, but if someone will hire a 60 year old they will get a very hard worker with a good work ethic, not like some of the young ones. I can only afford to take one day off after 4/18 anyway because of quarterlies and personal property tax. Hopefully it will not be raining at Veranda Beach.

NECPA -- my sympathies on the trouble your husband (and family) is having. I hope you find a way through that works really well for all of you, and very soon.

As for me, my "vacation" will be spending a few days in my garden getting in the early peas and clearing up the broken branches on the shrubs from this winter's heavy snows. Maybe get my bike out of storage, too -- I never did get around, last fall, to getting some spare tubes and a couple other things. I could ride down to the bike shop, get that stuff, and then pant my way back!

We will got to Stowe, VT, for a week this summer. Probably the last summer with a kid in tow, as Gwen goes off to college this fall and may well be working in the summer from here on out.

Catherine

Rain doesn't bother Veranda Beach. Some of my best times there included watching the rain. Even got wet once. It is like no other place on earth. And like you, NE, the "vacation" won't be long because we will be back in the office on the 19th for the quarterlies and financials, etc. That is why we are leaving right after work on the 15th. Should be there by night fall and will have 3 glorious days on the beach.

NECPA - I hope he finds a job or that the COBRA is manageable in the mean time. When my husband retired his COBRA worked out to $1800 per month for the 2 of us. And we couldn't get individual policies, either. Can he work in your business so you can get a group policy? We pay $400 per month for the 2 of us for a HSA. $5000 deductible each. Not great but better than $1800 per month.

We'll be heading to Puerto Penasco (aka Rocky Point), Sonora, Mexico the last week of April. I'm ready to go now, but I still have almost 1/3 of my clients to go. Why must so many wait 'til the last minute?

My sister-in-law is on a cruise right now. She asked if we wanted to go. 1st week in April - I think not. Wish I could.

I lost my day job on 3/25, so I know what you are going through with COBRA. I did a bit of research already, and if you don't let your insurance lapse for over 60 days, it is much easier to get a solo policy. The company I'm with currently doesn't offer solo policies, so I have to find another. since you are incorporated, hire him; and bingo! you have a group policy. I was allowed to downgrade my policy under COBRA as well, saving over $80/month by going with a higher copay, etc. I'm going to try to make this business work; I have a lot of new clients due to concentrating on same-sex couple returns, and I have good skill in audit rep. I'm looking at it as a door opening.

As for vacation, I already paid for my tickets to the High Sierra Music festival & Burning Man, so all I've got to come up with for those events is gas money & food.